Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bobbys results are Campylobacper im not happy it can also spread to us,its disgraceful im not happy the breeder said he was vet checked!

·
Registered
210 Posts
When I brought Toby home at 8 weeks. He had something like this too. (He's going on 8 now so it's been a while) Doesn't it clear up with meds in a couple of days?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Bobbys results are Campylobacper im not happy it can also spread to us,its disgraceful im not happy the breeder said he was vet checked!
That is a disgrace! I pray it doesn't pass to your family or your other pets. That breeder should be reported! Hope he is better soon!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'm having hard time figuring out how to pronouce that.... I have never heard of it either. Does it have more than one common name?

I hope it clears soon and doesn't get passed on. DEFINITLY you need to speak with the breeder.

·
Registered
843 Posts
It is called campylobacter and is similar to salmonella or e-coli.
Pups can pick it up from water-streams,puddles etc.
From undercooked meat or from a person with food poisoning.
Symptoms can mimic Parvo.
It can be transmitted to people and other pets and it is recommended that if you have more than one pet,all should be treated.
The other pets,if untreated can pick it up and become carriers without showing any symptoms.
I hope,that the antibiotics will help soon and you should discuss treating other pets/if any/with your vet.
The breeder should be made aware of this as there are probably other dogs infected...she should contact owners of other pups she sold.
She should also be liable for any vet costs.
Good luck and I hope your little guy gets better soon.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not to make excuses for the breeder,but it is unlikely the vet would test for this illness,unless symptoms were there already.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Hey spoo fan, where did you find that?? I'm EXTREMELY interested in printing that out and taking it to the clinic with me on Monday for my vet. We had a litter last year that had a horrible infection, three puppies under 8 weeks old and one girl who was 18 months old were hopsitalized for a bit over two weeks with symtoms that mimiced parvo in some ways. Nobody ever mentioned this illness.... The older bitch, who is mine, recovered faster than the three puppies, then the girl puppy. Of the two boys, we lost one (who as luck would have it was supposed to me my new baby.. ) and the other was hopsialized for 16 days. All four doctors and the entire staff at the emergancy clinic worked on the babies The whole time. 6 vets total. 4 of the 6 reccomended that we let him go around day 12... he wasn't getting better. My vet said to leave him alone, if he was going to pass he would do so in his sleep and wasn't suffering, other than not feeling up to far, he wasn't in pain. We set a dealine for day 14, if NO improvement was made or he got worse we would let him pass. Amazingly on day 14, just after I signed the release to allow the vet to put him to sleep he got up in his kennel on his own and started eating... He just turned a year old and lives in south florida now :) His name is Robbie.

They were never able to determine what the virus was though, this sounds similar... ?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That's terrible, poor thing. I hope he gets well quickly.

Wonderpup - That's an amazing story. You just never know, do you. I'm happy that he was able to recover but am sorry that you lost your little boy. I have never heard of this disease and I am going to pass this information on to my sister to keep in our book.

·
Registered
419 Posts
They were never able to determine what the virus was though, this sounds similar... ?
Wonder, did they determine that your dogs had a virus? Campylobacter is a bacterium,not a virus, and blood tests differentiate viruses from bacterial infections, so if they knew the problem was viral, it's unlikely it was campylobacter.

pagan-poodle, here's some more information about this infection in dogs: http://nypugclub.org/health/ShowCrud.htm

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm sorry pagan-poodle, what a nasty thing to have happen. I'm sure with treatment he will be recovered in no time and you can get on with the joys of puppyhood. I hope all is well with your other animals too.

Thanks for that link kathy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im hoping the cats wont get this as Diesel has inflamitary bowel disease and they all had cocidia a year and a half ago took me a year to correct things between the cats :( So its vital they dont catch this they are on speacil food as it is,im not happy bobby is on new medicent now so heres hoping.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Wonder, did they determine that your dogs had a virus? Campylobacter is a bacterium,not a virus, and blood tests differentiate viruses from bacterial infections, so if they knew the problem was viral, it's unlikely it was campylobacter.
Oh I missed that ... sorry. I think they had a virus.

Actualy there seemed to be some disagreement on what it was. The vet at the e-clinic is the one who said it was virual, one of our regular vets disagreed for the longest time before relenting. He still says he isn't 100% on the virus bandwagon, but he's the only one. Our other regular vet didn't care what it was, only that it was a HUGE issue that we couldn't fix and she didn't know why.

I'm still going to ask her about it on Monday, now I am curious, as always. Hubby get's so annoyed at me but once something catched my attention I just HAVE to find out about it lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I missed that ... sorry. I think they had a virus.

Actualy there seemed to be some disagreement on what it was. The vet at the e-clinic is the one who said it was virual, one of our regular vets disagreed for the longest time before relenting. He still says he isn't 100% on the virus bandwagon, but he's the only one. Our other regular vet didn't care what it was, only that it was a HUGE issue that we couldn't fix and she didn't know why.

I'm still going to ask her about it on Monday, now I am curious, as always. Hubby get's so annoyed at me but once something catched my attention I just HAVE to find out about it lol.
Id be very interested to hear what your vet says too :) keep me posted on that one.
I havent caught it yet and it can go to humans and im the one cleaning the poo but then i bleach the floor and all the sides all day long lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts