Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be taking Riley with me this summer camping. We will have a trailer, tent, and be in a camping "resort?". There is a lake also. My friends and i are going. My friend whos parents own the spot said i could bring Ry if i wanted before i even asked or thought about it. We all love dogs. I am very much considering it, BUT i have never been camping before (let alone with a dog). Yes, it is luxury camping. :) We will be boating, hiking, swimming and hanging out. He is great in new places, so im not worried about that. He has also been in a boat before (and im buying him a lifejacket).

I feed Ry raw, but i think it will be too much hassle to do it up there. I will probably bring dry food and he will have to starve and suffer through i,t unless other raw feeders have any tips or anything.

My two main concerns are if we have to leave him there (say if we go out to eat or shopping). He will stay in the locked trailer with fans. I dont know if it would be too hot though. Also his knee. I obviously will not take him if his leg cant handle it.

Anyone who camps have any tips for me? Like i said, this is my first time. I dont have a problem leaving him at home if i have to, but i think it would be fun with him there. Any advice? Should i leave him at home? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
not much for tips but i'm watching. When we move out of the house next week we're moving into a tent beside my parents RV. 3 dogs. and me and 2 kids in a tent (OK most likely kids will be in the RV.

he should be FINE in a trailer with fans running. nother option would be a collapsable kennel- leave him in the kennel and tht way you can leave the windows more open.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Campgrounds in Colorado require that a dog be leashed at all times. I hate tying a dog up, so I take an X-pen or collapsible crate.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, i dont know about the leash thing. I will have to ask my friend as she made it sound like their shepards just ran around. I do have a collapsable crate i was planning on taking with anyways. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
We take our spoos with us camping all the time they love it. We have a trailer with a/c so when we want to go out to dinner we just leave them in there and they do just fine.
Take a x-pen like cband said or a collapsible kennel so when your relaxing you can put them up and not have to keep an eye on them all they time,I also have a large piece of indoor/outdoor rug so they do not pick up the forest in there coats.
We have found that a lot of out doors cafe's don't mind a well mannered dog and most of the time they end up getting treats from the kitchen ha,ha. Hope you have a blast I'm sure your spoo will !!:fish2:

·
Registered
77 Posts
We took Lucy camping this weekend and she did great. We have a travel trailer with a/c and I brought her collapsible crate since I wasn't sure how she'd be. When we left I put her in it with the a/c on and she did fine. She hiked with us and while at the campgroud, we put her on an extra long leash so she could be outside we us. The campgrounds do require pets be on a leash. She loved watching all the people and dogs.
A few weeks ago Lucy went boating with us and she did try to jump in after some ducks so I will get her a life jacket for next time. I always keep her on a leash in the boat also in case I have to grab her quickly.
I don't feed raw so I don't know about that. I'm sure you'll have alot of fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts