Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go camping with friends every summer, and it's typically a few hours of canoeing and two-three portages to reach the site. Last summer on our way out, a couple was coming back with their rough collie mix, and while I know Matrix would not be able to come with us because of his health issues, I was thinking Mitch would have a great time. However, none of my friends are "dog crazy" like me, and one of my friends is very phobic about attracting bears.

I don't really know what camping/canoe tripping with a dog would entail, does anyone have experience? I will not be bringing him this summer, but perhaps I can talk my friends into for next summer.

My concerns:
- What happens if he can't settle down for the 3+ hours of sitting in the canoe? He would not have space to lie down. It's not exactly that easy to just "pull over" to a bank to stretch the legs...the legs are stretched during the portages.

- Would the smell of a dog attract or deter bears from coming to our camp??

- I'm pretty sure Mitch would want to sleep in the tent, but again, we fit four to a tent and there really isn't space...how would I ensure his safety if he sleeps outside the tent?

sorry for the long post :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
We only went portaging once with our dogs, but have done lots of canoeing and camping with them.

Canoeing - our dogs varied in how they acted in the canoe. Our first dog Kelsey would jump out when he felt like it and then we would haul him back in. Sometimes a little nerve racking when you're in the middle of the lake, but we managed to keep balance and get him back in. Our other dogs would just sit in the middle and take in the view nicely. We have never canoed for 3 plus hours, but I think if you did some shorter trips first to get him to understand what it's all about, he would get used to it.

Camping - It's funny, we had one person on our portage trip who was terrified about attracting bears with the dog. I don't really know if dogs attract bears or not, but we have never had any problems, either with camping or portaging. On the portage we would just let our dog run loose and he would run back and forth with us as we moved everything along.

As for sleeping, our dogs have only ever slept in the tent with us. I don't think I would be comfortable with the dog sleeping outside the tent. Plus it can get cold at night up north, so we often find our dogs curl around our heads for warmth. I think they might get cold on their own outside the tent.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the awesome reply cdnjennga!

I'm worried about Mitch moving around/jumping out and tipping the canoe! Even though all our stuff is in dry sacks, I don't want to be responsible for potentially soaking all our stuff! I WANT him to sleep with us in the tent, just the space issue...maybe I'd just have to bring another tent for me, Mitch and the BF. Can't say I'm all that fond of wet dog smell trapped in a tent, but if it means Mitch will be safer, I'll deal...the BF might want to sleep elsewhere though :p

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
My friends took their golden with them to boundry waters for a week with them. She did great and she is 8 years old. She had never been camping or canoeing with them before either. On the portages she was loose. She played in the water alot chasing a ball, so she was pretty content to just sit/lie in the canoe and when camping.

Ive personally never been camping, let alone with a dog. In the tent is there any way you could put yourself on the edge and have Mitch between you and the tent wall? I would not feel comfortable at all having him out there alone. Plus, he will probably whine to come in and keep everyone up, or pace.
I dont have any clue about bears being distracted/attracted to campsites with dogs.

Some friends and i are going camping for a week in teh Ozarks this summer, and i am toying with the idea of bringing Riley. Im interested what responses this thread has.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Thanks for the awesome reply cdnjennga!

I'm worried about Mitch moving around/jumping out and tipping the canoe! Even though all our stuff is in dry sacks, I don't want to be responsible for potentially soaking all our stuff! I WANT him to sleep with us in the tent, just the space issue...maybe I'd just have to bring another tent for me, Mitch and the BF. Can't say I'm all that fond of wet dog smell trapped in a tent, but if it means Mitch will be safer, I'll deal...the BF might want to sleep elsewhere though :p
If you ever want to do a test run before heading up north, let me know. My parents own a canoe and live near the lake in the east end of Toronto. We could get Mitch in and see what happens! :) Once it's warmer of course.

We have actually canoed over to the island before with the dogs, although not recently, as the lake seems busier these days...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the tent is there any way you could put yourself on the edge and have Mitch between you and the tent wall?
If there are two people in 4 person tent it'd probably be possible, but 4 people on a 4 person tent is TIGHT. There would really be NO space for him.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you ever want to do a test run before heading up north, let me know. My parents own a canoe and live near the lake in the east end of Toronto. We could get Mitch in and see what happens! :) Once it's warmer of course.
That would be fun! I should also ask my friend if I could take her canoe out for a few test runs...

note to self, start saving for a canoe.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Every year my grandparents and their friends go up to the uintah mountains (at almost 10,000 feet) and EVERYONE brings their dogs! They all have RV's, no tents, but I would so love to sleep in a tent with my dog, the cuddle factor would be hard to resist.

There's a woman that brought her 3 pugs and two mixes (though she's down to three total, they've been growing old) another brings her two spoos, and various other couples bring their dogs. No one canoes, but bears aren't common in utah so there's never been a worry.

I know the appearance of any doglike animal is threatening to a wolf, and maybe coyotes, and I've heard could cause an attack if they're nearby and see each other. I want to go camping this summer, and I'll def be taking Vegas!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
What a great Thread!! Lacey will be enjoying her first camping trip over Memorial weekend. My dad is a mountain man and we belong to a group. One of the group members has a huge piece of private property outside of Preston ID. The whole group goes up there for 4 to 5 days. Most everyone that has dog friendly dogs brings their dogs and it is great fun. I am so excited, as Lacey so enjoys other dogs. I will post pictures of her in all her camping glory. I hope all you other dog campers will do the same. We will be tenting it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I take my dogs camping every year, several times a year. Cosita didn't really enjoy the tent idea. She kept whining at the door to get out and explore. Not much fun for anyone. I learned that when I go with a group of people to bring my own tent so I'm not subjecting anyone to anything unpleasant, and I accepted the fact that if she needed to walk and everyone was sitting around the fire, that I'd go walk with her, or do whatever she needed, even if it meant not joining the group to do something fun. I actually don't take Cosita camping much now...it defeates the purpose of getting away to relax, though I LOVE hiking with her!

With Liberty it was a piece of cake. She was just happy to be where I was. She could care less if it's in a tent or out walking, so she never got on anyone's nerves, except for once when one person was freaked out that she was laying down in front of me in the same circle where we were all eating (oh brother!). Bears definitely make me nervous with her though. I felt like I was sleeping with bear bait! So I actually got a campervan where I could lock the door. I sleep much better knowing that we're locked in and everything else is locked out. And I love her deep bark when we walk past someone in the dark.
I've never had her in a boat, but I'd definitely try it if given the opportunity.
Keep us updated! I'd love to see camping shots!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
We have taken Dima with us on a kayak but never a canoe.

She sat the whole time still in front of me or my hubby.
Sometimes she went for a short swim but always manage to climb back up.

About the tent cant he sleep next to you ?

here is the pic :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
We camp every year with our Poodles but we are car camping in campgrounds. Campground rules say that dogs must be leashed at all times so I always travel with an X-pen. I find that the dogs are happy to be in the tent when I'm in the tent, but if I'm out cooking or sitting by the fire they want to be with me. Also, the X pen is a great place to put wet dirty dogs. You don't want all that in your tent on your sleeping bag (bring a slicker brush to clean dogs up before bed!).

Re the canoe.... Know thy dogs. 3 hours is a long time for a dog to sit in one position. Does your dog swim? Can you successfully pull him in an out of the water without tipping over the canoe? We canoe with our poodles but it is just a trip around the lake, not 3 hours.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure if Mitch can swim. I never asked his previous owners, but once my exams are done this week, I think I'll be heading down to Cherry Beach to see how he does. He hates baths, but that's different than a body of water, and he never hesitates to go into shallow pools of mud water, so I think with some practice he'll be a great swimmer. He's definitely got the legs for it.

I think I'll see if my friends want to go car camping this summer instead. Cuts down on the planning and packing, and Mitch can get a "dry" run and my friends can get accustomed to having a dog around.

Great pictures Winnow and Cbrand.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, car camping is when you drive up to the campsite (you CAN sleep in your car if its raining or you don't have a tent), and non-car camping is when you hike or canoe into the site. At least that's my understanding.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
We have taken Dima with us on a kayak but never a canoe.

She sat the whole time still in front of me or my hubby.
Sometimes she went for a short swim but always manage to climb back up.

About the tent cant he sleep next to you ?

here is the pic :D
how cute!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts