Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was feeding my Standard Poodle Flint River Ranch but it became a pain to order the food. I then switched to EVO but she couldn't handle the amount of protein which led me to try California Natural. I am curious what yall thought of the food. My vet told me that Purina dog chow was a good as food as anything out there and am thinking of putting her on Purina One. My brother feeds his Lab Dog Chow and has always fed it to his dogs with great success.Heck he had a Keshounnd that lived 18 years on dog chow without a single health issue. So what do you think?

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
We feed Moose Blue Buffalo and each time I buy it someone at the pet place (I go to different ones depending where I am) comment on the food being quality. We also did some research on Whole Dog Journal and another site that did independent studies and found this one to be quality. It took moose a couple months to adjust to the new food but now he poops solid and loves it :D

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I was feeding my Standard Poodle Flint River Ranch but it became a pain to order the food. I then switched to EVO but she couldn't handle the amount of protein which led me to try California Natural. I am curious what yall thought of the food. My vet told me that Purina dog chow was a good as food as anything out there and am thinking of putting her on Purina One. My brother feeds his Lab Dog Chow and has always fed it to his dogs with great success.Heck he had a Keshounnd that lived 18 years on dog chow without a single health issue. So what do you think?
Purina Dog Chow is one of the lower brands of food, its full of corn and dyes and really is not good for coats. I have never heard of CN but I googled it and seams like a nice food, how much do you pay per bag?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She takes to it fine. Her coat has always been good. Why/ is that too much or just right based on price and size of bag?

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
She takes to it fine. Her coat has always been good. Why/ is that too much or just right based on price and size of bag?
Seems like about right to me.

$40 gets me 30lbs of Blue Buffalo here for Moose.
He never has eye stains, and only tiny small morning eye boogers. His coat is freaking amazing when he gets a trim / shower and it's cleaned up :) Super shiny, people say he looks like velvet and feels like it too.

-Todd

·
Registered
133 Posts
Foods - Blue Buffalo?

Todd - Just curious which one of the Blue Buffalo you like (or Moose I should say)? I will be getting a puppy in September and I'm starting to research the foods. I wondered if you did the organic or which one? Have you tried any other foods you liked? Thanks, Suzanne

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I feed my guys Evo and they do extremely well on it. I just make sure that I measure their food, as it can bulk them up if you are not careful with your measurements. California Natural is a really good food made by the same company as Evo and Innova called Natura. I never fed any of my dogs supermarket brands, as they are full of corn, wheat, and byproducts. If you are interested, there is a site called dog food analysis. You can get reviews on different dog food manufacturers there.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Here's a link to grade your dog's food and it also lists a bunch of dog foods that they have graded on the website. It's kind of fun. :)

http://www.oes.org/page2/9674~Grade_Your_Dog_Food.html

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, I did a raw diet many years ago for my Newfie and standard poodle, it does take a little planning but it was kind of fun and boy did the dogs ever gulp it down. They thought it was the best. Fresh meats and veggies, although do your homework to make sure you include everyhing they need and certain veggies they should not have.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Not to go totally of topic but has anyone tried a homemade diet? I hope to one day (soon) switch all of my dogs to homemade.
Cooking for myself is enough.... :) If I could I would eat 'dog food' type setup for people. Food prep has no interest to me :/

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Not to go totally of topic but has anyone tried a homemade diet? I hope to one day (soon) switch all of my dogs to homemade.
My hubby and I home cooked for my gang of three for about 7 months, but it got a bit too involved. Cooking for the family of 4 (with two teens) and three dogs just got too much and we switched and now feed the Poodles 75% kibble and 25% home cooked. The Hav (cause he is the pickiest) gets 50% to 75% homecooked with kibble. But he eats so little, I should just feed him all home cooked. ;) If you are really interested in homecooked, I highly recommend this Dr. Pitcarin's book, it has everything you need for feeding home cooked or home prepared raw. It has lots of info on your animals health and medical treatments. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Complete-Guide-Natural-Health/dp/157954973X

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm currently trying California Natural (Herring & Sweet Potato blend). IT's great! Supposed to be good for 'sensitive stomachs'--since Marley has diarrhea at the drop of a hat if he eats anything with too much protein,fat,etcetcetc. So far so good....except for the excessive treats my boyfriend insists on giving him. :( That leads to more diarrhea!

Bottom line- California Natural isn't really that expensive and it's got very few ingredients--as not to upset your doggy's tummy!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Marleys Mom - My Roxy had a sensitive tummy and would also get diar. at the drop of a hat. I was determined to find an answer for myself (since the vet was not savvy in foods). I figured out she could not handle poultry. Once I figured this out, we were good. She only did lamb, beef,venison & fish. Wellness (or Old Mother Hubbard) has a line called Simple Food Solutions (one is fish and I think the other is venison). They only have five ingredients. I also read all my treat ingredient labels. That worked for Roxy, once we deviated she had trouble again. Look at their website. My Newfoundland was also on it because he had hot spots and it cured him. wellnesspetfood.com - look at the "allergy food" - light blue bag Suzanne

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had a hard time with trying to find a food the lily will eat regularly as she is only 2 pounds with no puppy fat. I have tried nearly every brand of food wet and dry she will have a few mouth fulls then nothing.( the lab next door loves me nowhe gets all the left overs) for the rest of the day. even though i offer it nearly 4 times a day. she likes raw meat or mince beef, doesnt like cooked chicken loves sultanas ( like a currant) and sausages. my vet is trying to get some sample dry food for her to try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cooking for myself is enough.... :) If I could I would eat 'dog food' type setup for people. Food prep has no interest to me :/
my daugher has homecooked for her 2 a Lab and maltese shitzu cross. and they are a picture of health lots of veges little pasta some meat cooks, little garlic, plus other bits and pieces makes a huge pot that she freezes in daily amounts. and they have a lrge meaty bone 3 times a week. she works full time and has a very hungry teenager. but she would not do it any other way. so home cooked can work for some
ps lily won't eat it!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts