Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has had a very difficult life and has faced a LOT of adversity. She doesn't have kids and has been trying to get a dog for a while. She was supposed to get one recently but it didn't work out and she's been depressed.
I don't know much about Poodles. I had no idea she was looking at Poodlea.

My wife and I feel bad that she was disappointed again. My wife contacted a local breeder today and she told me that the woman sounded strange and hung up on her after she started to ask about Poodles. She checked the number she dialed after she called, so that wasn't the issue.
After that ezperience, we looked at some ads in different places for Poodlea and we were wondering if we should check any of these dogs out for my sister. She has been waiting for so long. We want to try to help her.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Ads are not the best way of finding a healthy, well bred puppy - they are too often fronts for puppy mills, or placed by back yard breeders who know little about health testing and other essentials. If you can tell us whereabouts you are, and what sort of dog you are looking for, I am sure members here will be able to steer you towards reputable breeders in your area.

Meanwhile you may find this thread helpful https://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/33522-buying-puppy-safely-basics.html

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Hi and Welcome. It's so good of you to help her with her search. The right dog can add so much happiness and purpose to life.

That said, buying any dog from ad or a pet store is not generally advised. There was a time when that, or friends or family having a litter, was practically the only way to add a pet to your family but things have changed. You're much more likely now to unknowingly be dealing with a strictly-for-profit breeder (aka puppy mill) by going that route. Health testing and general welfare of the dogs is not their first priority and you risk ending up with a pet which may require more care and cost than anticipated. If you go that route, you essentially are in a rescue situation.

Ok and now that said, if you let us know what part of the country (or which country) you are researching, you'll get some good suggestions from PF members.

We all know how hard the search and wait can be, but you are smart to learn all you can first. It's a lifelong commitment on both sides :)

(fjm, I had not read thru that sticky before. If I happen to be an early responder again, I'll just point to that, if you don't mind. You have it well covered!)

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
If you are on FB there is a group called "Poodles From Health Tested Litters." Since your sister has had some life challenges you want to make sure she has a great dog experience, not another hard time. Even the best puppies in the world require work and can be annoying. And definitely look at the sticky thread to which fjm provided the link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts