Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for various ways to get a new puppy to me that is located 1700 miles away.

Any thoughts or experiences?

John

·
Premium Member
23,402 Posts
There are pet transport services that often use flight attendants as the responsible person. I haven't used anything like that since all our dogs were one day there and back driving distance, but plenty of people have done this.

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
I would be concerned about getting the puppy shipped by air right now. In the past you would hear the occasional horror story about dogs sitting in hot/cold conditions due to flight delays. With the covid situation I think the chances of flights getting delayed or cancelled are much higher.
My first choice would be to drive out and get him. Second choice would be to fly out and bring him back under the seat on a direct flight.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I know I am over cautious. I will not ship a puppy. I do not feel comfortable putting an eight weeks old puppy in a crate in cargo, first I am not certain if trust the conditions of cargo for a young puppy, it is scary. Second the puppy is terrified being stripped away from its mother and the comfort/security of its litter mates, human family, and protective household. I know this will not settle well with some, but I will not allow a service such as a puppy nanny. After being ripped away from all this puppy feels secure and comfortable with, it will try and start to bond with this new person, it will start to immediately seek comfort and security and try to depend on this new person without the understanding that it is only temporary, just to be ripped away one again to be placed with someone new. If someone lives past driving distance they can come to Pittsburgh, take the puppy back on the plane, under the seat with the new owner that will be bonding with the puppy as well. Many flights will even allow the puppy to come out of the pet carrier to sit on the new owners lap. On a rare occasion, when a person is not able to come at all, at their experience, I have flown with the puppy to its new home. My first concern is for my puppy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts