Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
When we got Kensi my breeder went through the whole litany of taking care of tiny dog, including checking what supplies, food, etc. we brought to bring her home with and explained hypoglycemia instructions even though we had gotten Penelope from her the year before. She is very careful and thorough when sending her babies to their new homes.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks

Yes, I just got a puppy 1.5 months ago. He is supposed to be a standard but looks like he will have very short legs. He is 15.5 weeks now. The reason we got him was the color, I was set on a brown one. And the breeder was local, so i could go see the pups and Mom. They looked great and the minute I saw the puppy I was hooked, but now...

We love him dearly, but I doubt he will look the way I hoped. I dreamed of a 25-27 inch beautiful poodle. The dam was 22 inch and Dad 26", so I thought I will get my dream. I can still hope he will grow into his frame, but he will probably be very small for a standard. He is only 14.5 lb at almost 16 weeks and looks longer than taller a bit. Color is nice though, not pure brown bit a silvery-brown.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I remember in 1998, my then college daughter wanted a toy poodle and I knew better than to buy a pup from the mall, but I didn't think a puppy mill could be someones home (BYB) well we went to look at the puppies and the first thing I notice was that although the puppies were cute and running around, that she also had some other puppies that were toy poodles. My daughter had one that she really wanted she was really cute and didn't want the other puppies to play with my daughter, then when I picked the puppy up I saw a few fleas running across her. I told the breeder that this puppy had fleas and she said that she was having problems with fleas, but she would give her a bath. I told my daughter lets go, but she begged and pleaded and said mom you know how to take care of dogs, she will be okay, I still said I don't know, but she ended up getting the puppy anyway.

Well after having her for a year and half, she started smelling a little funny, now this was a puppy that from the start she was getting a bath every two weeks, getting her nails painted and everything. Foxxy was adorable, but she had skin issues, I spent almost $3,000.00 over the next 3 years trying to get the skin disease taking care of, she never made it to her fifth birthday. On the day that she past I told my daughter I will never go against my better judgement.

P.S. Foxxy that she was human.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thats so heart breaking, so very sorry, however that helpless little thing,sweet Foxxy, because of you and your family, got a loving home, and given the best for the little time that she was here, and that is a good thing, all of you gave her the very best.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thats so heart breaking, so very sorry, however that helpless little thing,sweet Foxxy, because of you and your family, got a loving home, and given the best for the little time that she was here, and that is a good thing, all of you gave her the very best.
She was very special and my daughter and I always talk about the funny things she did, I recall one time when were at home, we couldn't find her she was about a 1 year and one-half, we were calling her name looking under the bed and everything, then I said to my kids did she go out the door when you guys were running to the ice cream truck, we ran to the front door and opened it and there she was wiggling that little tail of her's and she looking at us like did you guys eat all the ice cream. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am reading this wonderfully written, informative piece after just having registered on Poodle Forum today. It may be just "the basics" to some, however, it is not to me.

Please allow me speak from experience; these “basic” words of advice can save you, your family and a pet from much sadness and grief.

I know, because I did this *** backwards. I made the HUGE mistake of rushing into getting a puppy when I lost my 6 year old male standard poodle to stomach cancer this past January.

I rushed into the sale and bought our poodle from a breeder with a very fancy website - lots of testimonials and pictures...

The breeder is in Little Rock Arkansas and claimed he could deliver the dog to Florida for us because he had a trip planned that would take him down this way. We "met" him at a gas station, he "forgot" our dog's papers, "wasn't sure" which shots he needed and we paid $2,300.00 for this standard poodle.

We just brought our dear boy to our vet and found out he is going blind. Of course we are in shock, heartbroken, and feeling pretty stupid after reading this post. My husband and I are not kids.

Had I read your post none of this would have ever happened to any of us. I pray your words reach someone else in time, and I thank you for these very real words of wisdom.

C Sharp
Gainesville, Fl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh yes!! :)
We have a visit scheduled Tuesday with the top Opthamologist in the southeast for a consult, complete blood-work and possible surgery. If surgery is not an option, we will go on with life as normal! Everyone will adapt.
(We do not have children, our dogs are our lives, and we are crazy about them!!)
Thank you for asking...

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading your sweet note, I suddenly saw things quite differently. I felt joyful, and full of hope. Dogs pick up on every emotion - Dillon jumped on the sofa and started playing with Idgie and Griff the lab ran for his food bowl!!! You brought us all into joyful mode - it is wonderful to find such dear, insightful and kind people such as you - we thank you with all our hearts, canine and human alike...

We will post with updates on Dillon's prognosis and look forward to reading lots of posts, learning as much as we can, meeting wonderful people and seeing lots of happy dogs!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Heartbreaking! Dillon is a beautiful boy. Did your vet tell you what was happening to cause him to go blind?

·
Premium Member
22,144 Posts
You sound like wonderful people for Dillon. Since you don't have kids in the house leaving things under foot I am sure you will be able to adjust things in your home to give him a good life even if the opthalmologist can't give an optimistic prognosis. Do keep us updated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I will say that I understand that too a point. I am concerned about finding a great breeder, but I'm not wealthy either and since I'm single and on a students income coming up with something more than $1200 for a healthy for a pet quality spoo is a bit of a reach. Especially when there are other puppy expenses so close together. I hate to be gosh about price but I have a price point being disable and a student and what I can afford. I got lucky with my Bichon when I got her 12 years ago. She was an impulse buy. Found out I was losing a pregnancy and in a moment a insanity found an ad in the paper. Quick 30 30 minute car ride, run inside the vet kama grab the check for $700, handed her send check she had me her AKC papers and the puppy and I went home two days later ended up in the hospital but I still have my baby Gracie so I think I got my money's worth in the end but I guess I got really lucky unlike a lot of people who end up with an impulse buy puppy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aren't our dogs amazing? They seem to have a 6th sense about so much! Thank you so very much for your words of encouragement - our house is happy and the dogs are happy and we have all of you dear people to thank for it. Whenever life seems tough, the things that we have to be thankful for far outweigh everything else. It's wonderful that you have your Gracie to love. I have loved the Bichon forever - :) Adorable!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Catherine - If I ever see a CUTER picture of a dog in my entire life than Lily, I will write to let you know, but I don't think so. AAAWWWWW!!!!!!! Pink bows, pink, every girl's favorite, eyes that light up the world and that dear tongue!!!! She made my day!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and for your kind words. We will make sure Dillon gets the surgery. We're focused on that for now. Will be sure to post news this week. Take good care!!

21 - 40 of 93 Posts