Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve used a groomer’s fancy buttercomb recently and then did some research. I really like long pins/tooth. Some combs have 1.5”+ tooth. This would be particularly helpful for those keeping a long coat. Then, I noticed some combs have rotating tooth so it doesn’t pull the hair as much. I wonder if the rotating pins actually add any value. Resco seems to charge a lot for their combs. $50+ I wonder if they make the CC slicker of combs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
snow0160, I have tried many combs in my search for the comb that works the best, and causes my little arthritic hands the least amount of pain. I have a CC Buttercomb with a wooden handle... hurts too much to use. My favorite CC are the #008 all fine Tail comb, and the #011 Stagger Tooth Comb.The fine comb for ears, tail and any other area that needs a bit of floofing, and the Stagger tooth for when that thick coat has gotten ahead of me. The weight of the Stagger helps pull/glide the comb right through any tangles. My go-to comb right now is the Resco(Purple wrapped)Medium 1.5 inch comb. The first time I used this lovely wide handled comb I asked, "Where have you been all my life?" I feel the same way every time I use it. Chewys has this comb on sale for under twenty dollars right now, with variations running a bit more. As for rotating teeth... I really can not tell much of a difference, as long as the quality of the combs being compared are about the same. As for the purple wrap on the handle, well, it makes it easy to spot the right comb in a drawer full of silver combs. Good luck in your search for the perfect comb for you and your pups!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I noticed some combs have rotating tooth so it doesn’t pull the hair as much. I wonder if the rotating pins actually add any value.
I have an Evolution comb with rotating teeth, and think it really does make a difference, and Zephyr notices it as well. He does not like being combed, but we both like the rotating teeth. Plus the Evolution comb has a handle which makes it easier for me. And it is very inexpensive. The only problem has been that the piece with the teeth came out so I had to glue it back in being careful not to get glue on the teeth to prevent them from rotating.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This the yellow jw rotating comb and 10” pink comb with 1.5” pins came a few days ago. The rotating comb would be great for small dogs and cats bc of the size and lack of pulling. The 10” is amazing for the standard poodle. It goes pretty deep in the coat and glides very smoothly. The length gives you more leverage and better grip. I am a big fan. I appreciate the feedback and might look into the Resco combs.

I do love the flea comb for removing eye buggers on cats. I am a big fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
320 Posts
Snow, is that a cool tool box for your grooming supplies I see in the picture? I am starting to need something other than an old toiletries kit for all the supplies I have accumulated, especially for the clippers and blade combs. Was thinking of something like a fishing kit...

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love grooming supplies. haha. That is actually a human makup box that I stopped using a decade ago. My mom got it for me while I was in college for my cosmetics. Now, it is perfect for the dog grooming supplies because I have an abundance of it. I really enjoy grooming and like tools that make it easier.

Here is a link to something similar. You can find it for cheaper if you look around.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Options-Crafters-Train-Silver/dp/B00I0GU8RG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545420270&sr=8-3&keywords=metal+cosmetic+case

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have an Evolution comb with rotating teeth, and think it really does make a difference, and Zephyr notices it as well. He does not like being combed, but we both like the rotating teeth. Plus the Evolution comb has a handle which makes it easier for me. And it is very inexpensive. The only problem has been that the piece with the teeth came out so I had to glue it back in being careful not to get glue on the teeth to prevent them from rotating.
Where did you get the Evolution comb? Am currently in BC in a tiny mountain town, so online would be best

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have been using greyhound combs for 50 years - never found anything better. A good comb must have smooth teeth that are at least 1 1/2 inches long with rounded tips. There must be no rough places on it.

Older greyhound combs will have "Original Greyhound Belgium" on the comb back. They are actually manufactured in England and exported to Belgium. They are usually priced at about $20 or more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts