Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the title 馃槈
My spoo Belle licks her behind a lot and I鈥檓 wondering what I can do to help her out. It鈥檚 clearly around her anal sacs Her poop and look normal and she drinks water well. So I鈥檓 curious what I can do?
Hope you鈥檙e 4th was quiet

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Also there looks like scabs over the sacs. And staining. I keep up on her grooming.
current supplements are glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil

Premium Member
Take her to the vet!

Reactions: Liz

Registered
Definitely take her to the vet before doing anything. Scabs on the rectum is not normal (if you see scabs, they can鈥檛 be on the anal glands since those are internal).

Beckie is also a butt licker and after 3 years of searching, I think I鈥檝e found a probable cause. It鈥檚 too early to know for sure but I believe her discomfort/pain was caused by food allergies. Right now I am feeding her pre-made raw food, one protein/one ingredient at a time. Turkey is definitely fine, chicken has tested positive for allergies and beef is the next protein in line for testing.

Super Moderator
chicken has tested positive for allergies and beef is the next protein in line for testing.
Can I ask how you're testing? This is something I'd like to do for Peggy's allergies/anal glands.

And yes, if a dog is licking so much they're causing sores, I'd say it's time to see the vet to make sure the glands aren't impacted. Is it possible she's also scooting? Gracie used to scoot down the rough concrete of our driveway and I was always shocked when she didn't injure herself

Registered
Sophy had an abscessed anal gland - no signs of pain or discomfort, and the first I knew was her licking at it repeatedly. It came shortly after she had a long bout of diarrhoea and soft stools, and I think the glands became impacted as a result. All cleared up with a short course of ABs.

Reactions: Dechi

Premium Member
As regards testing for food sensitivities I would do NutriScan. It was well worth it for our dogs and if you have insurance it should be covered.

Registered
Can I ask how you're testing? This is something I'd like to do for Peggy's allergies/anal glands
I鈥檓 buying pre-made raw food containing one single protein, no vegetables, nothing else (except green beef tripe in some recipes). She鈥檚 having no carbs, no fillers, no supplements, or anything else. Green tripe makes the meal complete and she loves it !

The only treats she鈥檚 having are dried turkey and dried duck (which hasn鈥檛 been tested per say yet but she was having it before and I took a chance and it鈥檚 fine).

So if she has a reaction, there is only one possible cause and it鈥檚 easy to spot. When I test a protein, I feed it for 14 days, unless she has a reaction then I stop. When I started the chicken, she had discomfort and started licking her butt after the first meal. I gave her two more meals and she kept having symptoms so I stopped. It took 5 days before she stopped licking her butt from the 3 chicken meals !

After I鈥檝e tested a few more proteins (beef, pork, duck), I will start trying formulas which include more than meat. Then if she has a reaction, since I won鈥檛 know which of the many ingredients in the formula she doesn鈥檛 tolerate, the whole formula will be banned. When feeding raw, you鈥檙e supposed to rotate at least three proteins and if she tolerates those three, plus turkey, then we鈥檒l be good to buy bigger boxes, to save a little money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts