Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand this menaltiy. If you just want a pet, then go to a shelter. You just want a pet, so why does breed matter? Any dog from a shelter has a the potential to be an awesome pet! Shelter have puppies too!

If you want to buy a Poodle, don't you want it too look and act like a Poodle? If a breeder isn't breeding to the standard and proving their dogs in some way, then how can their dogs look and act like a poodle? If you care at all about having a healthy and tempermentally sound dog, why would you go to someone that just breeds any two poodles together? Don't you want health clearances and temperment evaluations? It doesn't make sense to want a specific breed and then buy from someone that isn't interested in protecting that breed. "I just want a pet" is why puppymills are so common. It's why so many registered dogs look nothing like their breed. (The Taco Bell Chihuahua, Yorkies that weigh 20lbs, roach backed Poodles, etc)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Totally agreed. If you're going to shell out the big bucks for a pet, then you might as well get it from a responsible breeder! And if you don't want to shell out the big bucks - rescue. There's lots of lovely rescue dogs out there. Even poodles and poo crosses.

If people do go the breeder route and someone is claiming to responsibly breed quality dogs with health testing behind them then they should be able to support that. If I can come across something that looks like a red flag to me within 5 minutes of investigating a breeder then I cross that breeder off the list. It's not like there's not enough poodle breeders out there - you should be able to find one that meets the bare minimum of standards!

This article from the Versatility in Poodles website contains most of my very minimum standards. Some of the key points:

What you want:

1) Testing results cross referenced at www.offa.org (or breeder supplied documentation of test results)

2) Titles (conformation, companion or working) to prove the dog's worth breeding

3) Membership in a dog club

4) Some sort of referral

Red Flags:

1) A breeder having numerous colors and varieties or breeds.
2) The newest "marketing buzz phrase" e.g. Hunting Poodles, Royal Poodles or Teacup
Poodles.
3) Breeding multiple litters in a year.
4) Breeding young (too young for proper genetic clearances). Standards and Miniatures
should be 2 years old, and Toys 1 year old before breeding.
5) Breeder willing to sell and ship without personal contact.

http://www.vipoodle.org/PDF_Files/How to Read Breeder Website.pdf

·
Registered
157 Posts
I feel like people who will settle on a dog that definitely comes from shady origins and breeding practices just because of size, price, and color don't have their hearts in the right place.

Maybe they are uninformed, but if you are willing to settle on a dog that is potentially unhealthy, or could become unhealthy because they weren't tested then I have to wonder about your motivations.

Maybe my love for "just a pet" is greater then others.

Edit: That might have come off a little mean, but in all honesty its the truth. Why wouldn't you want the best for your pet, who is going to be with you and loyal for, on average, 10-15 years? As a consumer you also have the right to a healthy, loving dog, so why settle for less?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm still learning a lot from this forum. I think the general public has a lot of misconceptions about poodles and what the show ring is about. Likewise, they don't understand how breeding for a certain color or size can be such a detriment to the breed. They don't have plans to title their dogs in anything, so they are looking for something unique....with absolutely no understanding of the health issues that come from such breeding ethics.

I'm thankful this forum has taught me so much. I have a healthy, beautiful, and smart puppy as a result of the knowledge I have gained. I know she's young, and she's my baby. I can only hope that more people take some time to learn and reconsider some of their previous notions, so they too can help support better breeders. Nothing seems to tick me off more than to hear someone say, "My little Fluffy was cute, so I breed her to the neighbors dog." UGGGG!!!!!!

I wish there was a better answer to help reduce the number of dogs that are unhealthy and/or end up in shelters. I'm very thankful to the breeders that take the time to show, title, health test, do genetic research, and document the health history of their dogs and the generations before them. It takes a lot of time, money, and dedication. It worries me to think what the poodle would be today without them. It's sad to see so few of them really exist.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm still learning a lot from this forum. I think the general public has a lot of misconceptions about poodles and what the show ring is about. Likewise, they don't understand how breeding for a certain color or size can be such a detriment to the breed. They don't have plans to title their dogs in anything, so they are looking for something unique....with absolutely no understanding of the health issues that come from such breeding ethics.

I'm thankful this forum has taught me so much. I have a healthy, beautiful, and smart puppy as a result of the knowledge I have gained. I know she's young, and she's my baby. I can only hope that more people take some time to learn and reconsider some of their previous notions, so they too can help support better breeders. Nothing seems to tick me off more than to hear someone say, "My little Fluffy was cute, so I breed her to the neighbors dog." UGGGG!!!!!!

I wish there was a better answer to help reduce the number of dogs that are unhealthy and/or end up in shelters. I'm very thankful to the breeders that take the time to show, title, health test, do genetic research, and document the health history of their dogs and the generations before them. It takes a lot of time, money, and dedication. It worries me to think what the poodle would be today without them. It's sad to see so few of them really exist.
Right on BFF. Someone only has to look at your avatar to see why it's worth soaking in all the information that can be learned here. Zulee is so cute!

And it is sad so few truly responsible breeders who only have the best interests of the breed at heart are around... But I guess on the positive side, we can say hey, there are some super responsible people around who are doing good things! Let's support them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts