Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I adopted a Standard Poodle pup several weeks ago, and I just discovered this site and have already learned so much! Moose is 12 weeks old today, and we've had zero issues. Yesterday, I was playing with him and he fell asleep and I was petting him when I found a bump on his left leg, I would say right on his ankle. I'm attaching pictures of when I found it and what it looks like now after our vet visit. Being the hypochondriac that I am, I immediately called our vet and took him in. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, he itches sometimes but he doesn't seem to be biting or licking it. I'm waiting for results back from the lab screen, but our vet suspects ringworm. I have never had any pets come down with the fungus, so I have no experience in it. Luckily, my boyfriend's family has had standards for years and his mom, based on the pictures, is also suspecting ringworm. The thing is that this bump seems to of been there for a while based on the condition of his skin, and there are zero other spots on his body. Like, I scanned him over for probably an hour looking for other spots. My boyfriend and I do not have any signs, and our Norwegian Forest Cat (who plays with Moose a lot) also doesn't have it.

So I am just curious, has anyone else experienced this? When I found it, it seemed to be a bit of matted fur and it almost seemed like he had gotten into something and it was super sticky. He has some mild hair loss in the spot, and as I pulled the mat apart, there was a raised, fred bump underneath. It's about the size of a bottle cap, and again doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. We're currently treating him for ringworm, I cleaned my entire house top to bottom, bathed him in a special shampoo, and we're treating the spot with some anti-fungal. Any advice helps!

Sara :)

The two pictures where there is a bit of redness is after the scrape at the vet. The picture where there is some flakiness is right after I found it. Thanks!
IMG_2195.jpeg

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,809 Posts
Hello and welcome! Moose has a stunning smile. I'm afraid I can't be of help, as I have no experience with ringworm, but hopefully one of our more experienced members will chime in.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi,
Moose is so cute! I have never seen this before but I have some ideas, ringworm is not a parasite, it is an infection. Ask your vet for antibotics but first ask her to take a sample to test it just to make sure it is not something else.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
Hi,
Moose is so cute! I have never seen this before but I have some ideas, ringworm is not a parasite, it is an infection. Ask your vet for antibotics but first ask her to take a sample to test it just to make sure it is not something else.
Take a look at the original post. :) @sh7377 mentioned the vet already took a scrape, and also said that they are treating the spot with an anti-fungal.

@sh7377, the spot really looks like something our neighbour's doodle experienced. In his case it was just matted hair that got missed and caused a yeast infection.

Hoping you get an update from the vet soon! Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and welcome! Moose has a stunning smile. I'm afraid I can't be of help, as I have no experience with ringworm, but hopefully one of our more experienced members will chime in.
Thank you, he's a very good boy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi!

I adopted a Standard Poodle pup several weeks ago, and I just discovered this site and have already learned so much! Moose is 12 weeks old today, and we've had zero issues. Yesterday, I was playing with him and he fell asleep and I was petting him when I found a bump on his left leg, I would say right on his ankle. I'm attaching pictures of when I found it and what it looks like now after our vet visit. Being the hypochondriac that I am, I immediately called our vet and took him in. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, he itches sometimes but he doesn't seem to be biting or licking it. I'm waiting for results back from the lab screen, but our vet suspects ringworm. I have never had any pets come down with the fungus, so I have no experience in it. Luckily, my boyfriend's family has had standards for years and his mom, based on the pictures, is also suspecting ringworm. The thing is that this bump seems to of been there for a while based on the condition of his skin, and there are zero other spots on his body. Like, I scanned him over for probably an hour looking for other spots. My boyfriend and I do not have any signs, and our Norwegian Forest Cat (who plays with Moose a lot) also doesn't have it.

So I am just curious, has anyone else experienced this? When I found it, it seemed to be a bit of matted fur and it almost seemed like he had gotten into something and it was super sticky. He has some mild hair loss in the spot, and as I pulled the mat apart, there was a raised, fred bump underneath. It's about the size of a bottle cap, and again doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. We're currently treating him for ringworm, I cleaned my entire house top to bottom, bathed him in a special shampoo, and we're treating the spot with some anti-fungal. Any advice helps!

The two pictures where there is a bit of redness is after the scrape at the vet. The picture where there is some flakiness is right after I found it. Thanks!
View attachment 470984

View attachment 470985

View attachment 470986

View attachment 470987
Hi!

View attachment 470984

View attachment 470985

View attachment 470986

View attachment 470987
Sweet look'n lad!

·
Premium Member
10,017 Posts
Welcome to you and one lump Moose. I’m sure with a family expert and the vet you’ll get it sorted. He is so cute💕

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I have dealt with ringworm on a horse - the treatment back then was simply iodine, which worked well. It is contagious as you know, so keep on being scrupulous about washing hands, bedding etc just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts