Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just turned on to bully sticks for my two small pups - 7 month old rescues (one a bijon/poodle, and the other a bijon/shizu). They *LOVE* them, especially the ones by forPups. They're some of the best reviewed (and cheapest) ones I've found on Amazon, but are there any better brands out there?

Or, more importantly, should I be giving these to my pups as treats? Because the boys are small, I only give them a small one (and only about once a week). Is that okay?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I don't really use bully sticks but not for any reason. My dog is a standard and he likes to chew on himalayan yak. Lots of others on here do use bully sticks and I'm sure will give you more info. By the way anyone interested I have found a new source for himalayan yak cheese. I found them on amazon but they have a website called https://www.pawstruck.com I have order 2 of their Yak jumbo chews for Renn and so far am very pleased.
I have no affiliation just found them while searching.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
My Molly loves bully sticks and always has (she's 6.5years old)but she also loves ears, tracheas, and jerkys and she gets a new one a few times a week as she takes her time with her chews! All can be found here:

https://www.bestbullysticks.com

·
Registered
592 Posts
I almost never buy them. I think they are awesome, but they are way too expensive typically.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
I just have sort of a personal aversion based on what they are. I do give buffalo ears and chicken jerky along with Himalayan Yak Cheese. All of our dogs are big.

Reactions: doditwo and bailie

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My poodles love bully sticks. I buy from the following sites. They both use South American cattle that are free ranging on pasture. That's much healthier than cattle that are raised in feed lots, and of course more humane. USDA inspected.

www.bestbullysticks.com
www.bullysticksdirect.com

I like the thin ones because I don't worry so much about them causing blockage if a dog swallows the end of one. We also like bully taffy, made from flattened esophagus.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My dogs don't get them as I simply cannot stand the smell (even the 'unscented' ones). I refuse to have my house smelling like bovine urine (and that's all I can smell). My dogs did get them once, and liked them, but such is life :).
From a teeth cleaning standpoint - I don't think they do much, but don't really see any harm in them either (when properly supervised, taken away when too short etc).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just have sort of a personal aversion based on what they are. I do give buffalo ears and chicken jerky along with Himalayan Yak Cheese. All of our dogs are big.
My dogs also really like the Himalayan yak chews - and I like the fact that they can be 'blown up' in the microwave when they get too small. I was a bit worried about how firm they are (one of my dogs will chisel hers into a little spear !), but haven't had any cracked teeth (but they only get them supervised, and on special occasions for this reason). Both my dogs are tiny (3-4 lb), but one of them is a pretty aggressive little chewer. Their frequent dental treat are the OraVet chews (but don't last long as not how they are designed), and for boredom, I use treat balls and the occasional beef or sheep ear / tendon etc.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
My dogs adore bully sticks. I don't mind what they are or the odor :lol: I only give them on special occasions because they are much more expensive than cow ears, which they also really enjoy.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I inadvertently hooked my dog on bully sticks from when she was a tiny pup.
Reading complaints about the cost & dogs consuming an entire stick in no time baffled me since my puppy never consumed anymore than an inch after having it forever. I would change them out only after they got so old I was afraid of bacteria.
Now she has her adult teeth... and now I understand about the complaining lol.
But she’s an addict and if she doesn’t get her stick she’s gonna chew on anything available or she’s going to act out like a junkie having withdrawal.
Co-dependent that I am, I now pay for her giant 12” habit and tell myself it’s good for her teeth.

This is what I live with:

·
Registered
331 Posts

It was a shock to me when I found out, but by then it was too late, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts