Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening me and Ivan were outside, the porch light had been on awhile and june bugs were out flying around. Ivan ate one and liked it and has been at the door begging me non stop to go outside. Is it bad to let Ivan eat bugs?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
LOL! I just think about the movie Lion King. "The jelly filled kind!"

I let Zulee 'hunt' at night for bugs. She pounces and plays with them without too much interest to really eat them. I don't see what it could hurt. Maybe someone else has an idea.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I figure it is just a little extra protein in the diet. My Whippets love chasing them, catching them and eating them. They have a water dish on the deck that gets changed every morning and Iris is not happy untill she has fished every last one out of the bowl and eaten them. She has been doing it her whole life and it has not hurt her.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I remember our chihuahua catching cockroaches that were so big both ends stuck out of her little mouth. Ewww. I vowed I would never let her lick me in the mouth again.

Teddy doesn't seem to be very interested in bugs, but he did catch and eat a small moth-like bug at my sister's house once.

I don't see what it could hurt to let him eat it either. Gross, but some people eat worse (from what I've seen on TV).

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had a puppy that found a huge black tarantula once. He carried that thing around in his mouth for two days - legs sticking out in all directions - before he finally tired of it. He would put it down, push it around with his nose and carry it off again. I don't know why it never bit him. At the end of the two days the poor spider just laid in one spot all day long before it disappeared.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He ate around 8 or 10 and he didn't throw-up or anything, so yay. But this morning he did have some problems with a fire ant mound :( I hate fire ants. So now I am keeping an even closer eye on him today.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
We have nightcrawlers in our yard (you know, the earthworms on steroids!) :lol: They come out of the earth at night when it's dark and suck back down if/when it gets light (my hubby and his dad used to hunt them in our backyard with flashlights and buckets to use for fishing bait!) Anyway, there have been a few that for some reason didn't suck all the way back down and Meau was chewing on dehydrated "worm jerky" at lunch today... eeeewww! Like Arreau said... PROTEIN!! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts