Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl is a 13 week old female toy poodle. She is the runt of the litter and out of a litter of all white brothers and sisters she’s the only black one. She is swapping 1.86 LBS and will not get much larger. She’s a good little thing but she hates to be brushed. I’ve purchased several different kinds, shapes and sizes. I’ve let her smell them. Nothing helps she still isn’t happy. The groomer showed me how to hold her to brush her but once I get anywhere near her head she try’s and succeeds to bite the brush. I brush her a few times a day to try to get her used to it. Small sections at a time. She doesn’t mind being washed and conditioned or towel and then blown dry but as soon as that brush shows up her whole mood changes. If anyone can give me tips I’d appreciate it. Thanks. ?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and your tiny toy tot! What's her name? and, hint hint, we love pictures!

Is it a pin brush you're using?

A comb is another option.

What worked for me was to wait til my boys were getting sleepy then run the pin brush or comb lightly over their fur for just one pass then stroke with my hand over the same area. Just repeat that for a bit, then stop for a bit. They mostly just thought I was petting them. Adding tiny treats in between brush or comb strokes might help also.

Build up as she seems to relax. Sure, it's necessary to get that brush or comb thru her fur just about every day, but it can be done in sections, as you're doing. So long as you get to all the parts before any matting starts :).

This isn't particularly uncommon. Can't really say how long it took, but eventually when I pulled out the brush and comb my lap would become littered with poodles lol.

I'll be surprised if someone else doesn't drop by soon with other ideas.

Stay in touch and let us know how things go!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Welcome! I second what Rose N Poos said about the treats I did the same thing for my Standard Poodle, Sisko. I'm not sure really how long it took, but once she sees that brushing her gets treats she'll get better. Does she want to play with the brush?

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
Treats certainly help. I would also try holding something good between your fingers for her to lick and nibble while you gently brush a few strokes with the other hand, then give her the treat and perhaps play a quick game. Little by little increase the amount of brushing for each treat. The main thing, I have found, is not to get into a fight - much better to do a very little brushing at a time and win her cooperation, so don't try to go too fast. When I accidentally taught Sophy to hate having her teeth cleaned I set myself eight weeks to get her comfortable with it again, and kept reminding myself my aim was not to clean her teeth in that time but to have her happy to accept the brush moving up and down in her mouth - the change in perspective helps you avoid getting frustrated, and makes every tiny improvement a cause for celebration!

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
Try a cat slicker brush, they are much smaller also use a brushing spray so that you aren't just catching tangles inadvertently causing pain

·
Registered
762 Posts
I followed fjm's advice today. My husband and I sat on the sofa with Normie between us; he held a peanut butter kong while I brushed. oh joy! success!

Ya'll are the smartest people!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts