Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
The back side of that brush isn't going to do anything good and I would worry about getting hair stuck in it while using it. I like this brush. https://www.amazon.com/All-Systems-Oblong-Wooden-Handle/dp/B001VPCIIA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_199_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TTKC0YZ8EHWTXQSG58S4

However I generally comb between and before baths and brush while drying my dogs. I use a combination of a standard poodle comb as well as this one. https://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Gripsoft-Rotating/dp/B0050HYRFW/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1540300613&sr=1-6&keywords=rotating+tooth+comb&dpID=41YEgMoBCJL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
A pin brush like Lily recommends is also what I mainly use, along with a metal comb to check after brushing for mats. When brushing you must brush down to the skin! Google 'line brushing'. Also, a slicker brush is good to have for fluffing up a shorter clip and for minor mats. Also brushing spray or detangler, as you should never brush the longer hair without it, (to prevent hair breakage) My biggest recommendation is for you to get a copy of Shirlee Kalstone's book 'Poodle Clipping and Grooming: An International Reference' It is an older book but still considered the bible of poodle grooming and will tell you everything you need to have, and everything you need to do, to take care of your poodle's coat!
My basic tools:

P.S. Don't forget the nail clippers or dremel, QuikStop and a toothbrush & tooth gel or paste!!LOL!

Attachments

Reactions: scooterscout99

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I have a minipoo too. I like to use the slicker (the red brushes in MollyMuiMa's photo above) in a medium size to start brushing - it can get any tangles or mats that are at the outer edges of the hair. Then I follow with the buttercomb - make sure your comb has tines that are long enough if you keep your poodle in very long fur. Follow up with the slicker again to fluff up the hair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts