Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right now we are using a tiny, cheap slicker meant especially for puppies, with plastic balls at the ends, and the plastic comb that was included with our clipper set. As our puppy's coat seems like it might be beginning to change, I want to buy a good brush and comb. I tried doing some research here on old threads, which led me to the Chris Christensen tools, but I'm not sure which models to buy. I actually sent the company an email asking what they'd recommend for a miniature poodle, and they suggested a medium Big G and an all coarse comb (no specific model).

Prior to their email, and based on some of the older posts I found here, I was also looking at the MARK VIII Round Slicker. Can anyone tell me what the main difference is between the Mark VIII Round (or any of the CC Mark Slickers) and the Big G? There's also a lot of combs on their site marked "coarse," so am not really sure where to start. Would love some recommendations!

ETA: We've basically been doing a puppy cut using either the 1/2" or 3/4" guide on the clippers, although we have left the legs a little longer towards the bottom (he kinda looks like he's wearing boot cut jeans). Right now it's about an inch long on the legs, and I don't expect to ever go much longer than that.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did see you mention that in another thread when I was researching, and was wondering the difference between a pin brush and slicker. It seemed from what I was able to find that a pin brush was better for longer hair or show clips. Do you keep your poodles' hair longer or shorter?

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I am always changing up my poodles clips, sometimes short, sometimes long. Sometimes a bit of each. I find that brush pretty all purpose and use a comb (standard poodle comb type) on short parts that are extremely short.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The best brush for a pet poodle with some longer coat is the coral chris christensen slicker brush.
Personally for a pet I wouldn't bother with a pin brush. Pin brushes are for not breaking hair on long coats (such as on show dogs), and for a pet the little bit of broken hair is not going to be noticeable (I, and most show poodle people, use slicker brushes on our dogs bodies and that hair can be 4+inches long, we only use the pin brushes on the really long topknot coat and such).
I don't use pin brushes on any of the pet client dogs I groom. I use my coral CC virtually exclusively.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The best brush for a pet poodle with some longer coat is the coral chris christensen slicker brush.
Personally for a pet I wouldn't bother with a pin brush. Pin brushes are for not breaking hair on long coats (such as on show dogs), and for a pet the little bit of broken hair is not going to be noticeable (I, and most show poodle people, use slicker brushes on our dogs bodies and that hair can be 4+inches long, we only use the pin brushes on the really long topknot coat and such).
I don't use pin brushes on any of the pet client dogs I groom. I use my coral CC virtually exclusively.
What would you consider a longer coat? I guess the main difference between the coral and mark brushes is the coral is for a longer coat and the mark a bit shorter? I'm wondering because I'd rather get one in the $30 range than $60 range if they'll perform equally well. But if there's a reason to go with the coral, I'm definitely keeping an open mind!

EDIT: oh, and which butter comb would you suggest? there's so many of them!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If you're not going over an inch in length of hair you could go with the mark round one (I would even recommend the #1 all systems slicker brush, it's a nice soft slicker brush)
https://www.tlc4dogs.com/allsystems.html

As for a comb, any metal comb that has wider spaced teeth and narrower spaced teeth like this should work just fine. For someone with just 1 pet to groom (rather than a groomer doing 5+ a day) I don't think you have to spend much on a comb.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I have the Chris Christensen A5VIII Mark VIII Round Slicker for my minipoo. It's a good slicker but I don't think it's worth the extra money. I also use a slicker with the tipped ends that I bought in Target and it works just as well too.

I also have this comb https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014QK743A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have other buttercombs that came as freebies (with other dog products such as clippers) that I don't like as well. I find the tines are long enough and nice and rounded smooth that it combs beautifully.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
What really matters is that you get down to the skin when you brush. I like slickers with protected pin tips to avoid scratching the skin. After brushing an area, be sure you can comb through that area right down to the skin.

The reason I am emphasizing combing is that many people brush, but they do not get down to the skin; they are just brushing the outer half inch or so.

This is especially important during coat change. A comb is more likely to find a little mat that you missed when you brushed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What really matters is that you get down to the skin when you brush. I like slickers with protected pin tips to avoid scratching the skin. After brushing an area, be sure you can comb through that area right down to the skin.

The reason I am emphasizing combing is that many people brush, but they do not get down to the skin; they are just brushing the outer half inch or so.

This is especially important during coat change. A comb is more likely to find a little mat that you missed when you brushed.
Thanks! We actually figured this out ourselves recently. We had only been brushing the first few months and realized we weren't getting very far down, and then the last time we brushed him we combed aftereward...what a difference!

I perchashed this brush the last time this subject came up and have been very happy with it.
Which one? The CC Coral?

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I comb before bathing and brush while drying. And yes Johanna's explanation is really spot on.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
The comb is to assure that you don't have any mats in the hair, especially near the skin.

The slicker is to fluff up the hair so it looks pretty. It also can work out more superficial mats.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
If you're not going over an inch in length of hair you could go with the mark round one (I would even recommend the #1 all systems slicker brush, it's a nice soft slicker brush)
https://www.tlc4dogs.com/allsystems.html

As for a comb, any metal comb that has wider spaced teeth and narrower spaced teeth like this should work just fine. For someone with just 1 pet to groom (rather than a groomer doing 5+ a day) I don't think you have to spend much on a comb.
LOL, you say that, but I'm a bit obsessed with THE COMB, and really feel the differences between my two entry level metal combs. I'm convinced the shape of the Utsumi half-moon would work well with how I move. Not that I'm trained like you, by no means. Just feel like I could use it easily in either hand.

I do pin and slicker, and use combs to check for missed issues and to fluff.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I don't use pin brushes on any of the pet client dogs I groom. I use my coral CC virtually exclusivelytrwq.

Yup this is accurate. My favorite brush is just a comb. You can’t live without a nice comb but the CC coral ( I got the CC Big K) slicker are mostly finishing brushes that make the coat look beautiful. I also have a dematter that I use every once in a blue moon for his foot mats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread! After much deliberation between the #1 All Systems, CC Mark IV, and CC Big G/Coral, I went with the Big G/Coral and the CC Poodle Buttercomb. We groomed him this weekend and they worked so well! The plastic comb that was included with the clippers we bought, and the tiny puppy slicker, just weren't cutting it anymore. We definitely weren't getting deep enough before which allowed some mats to form.
After combing and brushing him with our new tools, he looked almost twice as big with how much hair puffed out! Followed up his good brush out with a clipping, and he looks so handsome now!
Next challenge is to convince my husband to clip his face short, especially since we got a "is he a labradoodle?" at training class last weekend. But DH doesn't like the clean poodle face and I'm compromising since we DID get a poodle like I wanted :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts