Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
My poodle really hates the sensation of bristles. Currently, I use this brush: SAFARI Wire Pin Brush for Dogs | Chewy (Free Shipping) Would really appreciate any recommendations for brushes/combs that will not be felt as much. Thanks!
Hands down... recommend the Paw Brothers plastic tipped slicker brush. The one with a curved back rather than flat. Most gentle brush I have found. Misha also is very sensitive to bristles but this one will not cause any brush burn.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I hope you take this response with the gentle love I’m sending it. I may be wrong, it may be your brush, but your brush looks fine to me and I’m wondering if something else is the issue.

Could it be your technique? Could you be brushing with too much pressure, pressing hard on the body?

Does your dog have mats? Is your dog going through coat change when they mat so quickly? Never ever pull on a mat while brushing, use your fingers and a comb to break up a mat before brushing.

i use a slicker on my dog but I don’t push it hard down to her skin. After lightly brushing I comb my dog down to her skin to make sure there’s no mat. I have all kinds of slickers, some of which were bought for cats, some are tipped... I haven’t noticed any difference with them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely no matts, groomer and vets have always said his hair/skin are very healthy. I will definitely try with less pressure though since that might be part of the issue. When I brush, I do push down to the skin, so it is likely that that could be what is causing the discomfort! Thanks so much for the advice.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It may be that your poodle is simply being a brat! Poodles are notorious for being able to bamboozle their owners. They usually do not even try to con groomers and veterinarians because they know who will give in to them and who will not. I use that same brush on my miniature poodle. She knows that it is useless to object to grooming. She also hates to have her face and feet clipped (although she is always pleased to show off her new "do"!). I just finished doing her face, feet, and tail. It is getting dark, so I'll leave nail clipping, bath, and body trimming until tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
My poodle really hates the sensation of bristles. Currently, I use this brush: SAFARI Wire Pin Brush for Dogs | Chewy (Free Shipping) Would really appreciate any recommendations for brushes/combs that will not be felt as much. Thanks!
I wish I had seen this earlier. One of my poodles cringes away from every slicker, except the Activet. He is not being a brat, he just has more sensitive skin. I really like the way the CC coral goes through the coat, but it is quite obvious that he prefers the Activet. My other poodles have not moved away from any type of brush, so I know it is not the way I am handling the brush. I have even tried less expensive versions similar to the Activet, but Mr. Picky(the parti-color)can tell the difference.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts