Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello~

So, my boy is going through his coat change. It really hasn't been too bad but his brushing needs have, as expected, gone up. Problem is -- he hates being brushed like nothing else. Shaving? Fine. Bathing? Fine. Nail trimming? All fine! But brushing he just won't do.

I mostly use the slicker brush but I wonder if it hurts him. Those toothy wires certainly hurt me when I catch myself with it. Are there any alternatives that are gentler?

His brushing needs are not too great, luckily, but still too much for a comb alone. When he had is puppy coat he almost didn't tangle at all. Even with his coat change he only needs brushing every one to two weeks. Hit coat is fairly plush and his curls are very tight and crimped.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Every 1 to 2 weeks!!!! My girl is 7 years old and still gets brushed 'almost' every day!!
(I keep her in a longer style clip though!) If his hair is longer than an inch, try using a pin brush in addition to a slicker brush.. Also, if you can, get a high velocity dryer to blow dry him after his bath.....it blows out the curls (straightens the coat) making it easier to brush him. BTW, keeping his coat clean also helps to prevent the really bad matting and I swear I could not live without my HV Dyer! There are lots of threads here on getting mats out in our grooming threads! Good luck and don't forget to post pictures!!

Reactions: Pinklily

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply!

I keep him in a lower maintenance clip but he's fluffier than normal currently. (I'm in two month college quarters so my workload restricts me to grooming him on breaks. When I was doing semesters I groomed him once a month) He's not matting too much. I have been finding the beginnings of mats which I mostly pull apart with my fingers which he's okay with but he gets massively aggitated when I brush him. (He gets away from me and does angry popcorning) So I was hoping there might be a more gentle method to deal with the occasional tangling.

This was his just a couple weeks ago. I give him a bath every two weeks and brush him out after. I have a blow dryer that I *think* is high velocity (it looks like a tiny vacuum) but his coat never blows out totally straight.

This is him just yesterday (totally hating me, I might add). It's a bit dark and it uploaded sideways for some reason but it may give an idea to his current length. It's not terribly long. Maybe about an inch on his body and a bit longer on his

(Edit: Got the pictures working. The problem was tinypic. Switched to imgur and they worked just fine.)

Every 1 to 2 weeks!!!! My girl is 7 years old and still gets brushed 'almost' every day!!
(I keep her in a longer style clip though!) If his hair is longer than an inch, try using a pin brush in addition to a slicker brush.. Also, if you can, get a high velocity dryer to blow dry him after his bath.....it blows out the curls (straightens the coat) making it easier to brush him. BTW, keeping his coat clean also helps to prevent the really bad matting and I swear I could not live without my HV Dyer! There are lots of threads here on getting mats out in our grooming threads! Good luck and don't forget to post pictures!!

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
There are slickers with tipped points which may help. In addition I’m wondering about how you are brushing with the slicker, maybe you are scratching into the skin and not just brushing the hair? Try using the slicker with a lighter touch to see if that helps.

Are you combing his hair down to the skin? I like to use the slicker to brush through most of the hair, not necessarily down to the skin. I go over the area with a comb going to the skin. Some people comb and use a pin brush, using the slicker at the end to fluff up the hair. And some don’t use a slicker, just pin brush.

When using the high velocity blow dryer you have to get each area of hair 100% dry before moving onto the next area. If you leave even a small amount of dampness the hair will curl. I find it so helpful to carefully dry my dogs hair 100% dry and straight. It’s so much easier to comb and brush her in between bathes (I bath every 2 weeks). Of course I’m not dealing with coat change. With coat change you should comb down to the skin often and at least once a day or more especially in those areas where mats are developing.

Reactions: snow0160

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
The coat changes is really hard bc it tangles easy when the texture changes. I kept Lucky very short during this time. My favorite brushes are slicker and combs but these come in handy for dogs with longer hair. I think the pin brush is the easiest for dogs to accept because it pulls a lot less. You could use this method for a while until the coat change is finished. I would give high value treats while brushing as well so they associate brushing with good food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Yes, there are soft slickers. The Millers Forge Doggyman is a good one. I just got the Andis soft slicker from amazon; haven't tried it on Oliver yet, but it doesn't hurt when I test it on my inner arm, so I suspect it is as advertised.

Gentle technique helps too, as does being sure to spritz with a grooming spray, water, or highly diluted conditioner while brushing. Dry brushing makes it harder on both of you.

MysticRealm, an accomplished professional groomer, recently mentioned the Flairosol mist sprayer here, and Crown Royale #3. I'd been wanting to try Crown Royale for years, so finally ordered it and a Flairosol. Thrilled with both. I also love Just Divine from Chris Christensen, Stazko, and very dilute Coat Handler conditioner to spritz on Oliver.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I had been using a Chris Christensen slicker, but it always hurt my dogs, no matter what their coat length. I purchased this slicker at Petco recently and it is a million times better in the dogs' opinions! https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/well-and-good-wooden-cushion-slicker-dog-brush The dogs don't just tolerate brushing now, they all line up for it! For your baby's coat length, this is the brush you'll want to use. A pin brush is good when the hair is longer. And always comb down to the skin after brushing to check for matting. I have a CC poodle comb, but I've found that the cheap greyhound combs on Amazon or at Petco work just as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the replies and great advice!

I have been brushing his hair dry so I'll definitely experiment with misting him. I try to be gentle when I brush him but I also try to be quick to minimize his time in distress. I use quick, short strokes and don't apply any pressure. I have been using really high reward treats that he only gets during brushing and it does help to distract him but I can tell he's still really not enjoying the experience. It is the only thing I have not been able to get him used to. He hated ear cleaning at first too (In fact, his reaction was awful the first time) but he grew used to it quickly and now mostly seems bored when I clean his ears.

All of my other dogs have loved being brushed in the past but they were/are border collies. I feel sorry for him that he hates it so much. I'm so happy to hear there are soft slickers out there and I'll look into a pin brush too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts