Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was 5 degrees (F) when I got up at 7 am. It's now 16 degrees. Not supposed to get above freezing for the next week or 10 days! This is uncommonly cold for our area of New Mexico - we are only at 6100 ft and only 25 miles north of Albuquerque.

Zoe is enjoying the snow, though. Since she is being grown out into an English saddle trim, she does not have a naked butt, so she just leaps merrily into the drifts, some of which are 12-18 inches deep! I watched her "swim" out of one of them! Our snow is dry and powdery, so she just shakes it off.

Molly the Chihuahua, on the other hand, absolutely hates snow (and rain). She does not want to get her tiny feet wet. I have to shove her out the door into the dog run several times a day or else she will find a quite corner of the house and use it. Ugh!

Opal the Labrador is OK with the snow, but does not enjoy it enthusiastically like Zoe does.

So what is winter like where you are?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
This winter in the CA Bay Area is pretty typical so far--upper 30s-40s at night and 50s-low 60s in the day. I hate the cold, but at least it's much easier to get out and exercise with the dogs. Zooey the Maltese is in full coat, so she's usually warm enough, but the other littles are in sweaters full-time.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Winter is the rainy season in Houston. Leaves are still falling, temperatures 40’s-60’s, a few days of freezing temps, and the odd day in the 70’s. It rained so much last Wednesday night that another giant oak tumbled in the yard. Thank goodness Buck is a sport about going out in the rain and that I upgraded my rain gear after Hurricane Harvey:)

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Eastern Shore of MD is really nice so far no snow, sunny yesterday was rain. None of my girls want to go out if is snowing or raining, cold does not bother them, they come right back in. Cayenne will run in the now, as she never gets outside much and she is the 3.5 pound one.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Illinois is not as cold as NM, Johanna, but still chilly. I’m registered for a NW trial in late January, and also considering a day-of-show entry for a trial next weekend. My instructor asked how my dog would do in cold/snow/rain, so I practiced exterior hides yesterday. Temps were in the low 30s with wind chill in the teens (F). Both of my dogs found all three hides unaffected by the cold, but my fingers were frozen!

I’m grateful that the latest storm system passed north of us to spare me shoveling. Both pups enjoy playing in the snow, though.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
We're in the Northeast so we will get some snow and cold weather over the winter. Most of the time it's above or just hovering around freezing which I can tolerate. We're lucky that we often miss those huge storms that come barrelling through the Northeast dumping tons of snow, causing havoc and closing large cities etc.

Babykins loves the cold and snow. It is so much fun to watch her bouncing in and out of the snow like a bunny. She pokes her nose to try to sniff so she always has a dusting of snow on her nose.

But she has a horrible time going potty. Snow covers up all the good sniffing places and she can't find any good smells. We clear a grassy knoll for her but it's not close to the street where other dogs leave their pee mail which doesn't make her happy.

She also hates getting snow trapped in her feet and will start limping and I have to pick her up and carry her home. Silly dog hates to wear coats and I haven't found any boots that will stay on her feet - she hates boots too.

Reactions: SpooChi

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Here in Ft Collins Colorado it was 13 degrees when we got up this morning and is sunny and 30 degrees now, at almost 2:00 PM. We have no snow and our climate is very dry, considered high desert.

When we do have snow or the rare rain, Poppy is all about playing in it and standing in the rain, nothing much fazes her. I try very hard to never complain about the weather as I grew up in Minnesota and know how bad winter can truly be. I am sure that if we lived there now, Poppy would embrace the climate and be ski joring along with the nordic breeds. She is a joyful soul, regardless of the weather.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
We’ve had freezing rain here for the past few days. I had to shorten my stay at my mom because of it.

Driveways are like skating rinks, and city streets are not much better. Those are days where it’s best to stay home and stay safe.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is Zoe playing with Opal in the snow. That drift is now over Zoe's head!

It's been snowing for over 24 hours with no end in sight. We have over a foot, but it's impossible to measure because the winds were so strong last night that some places were nearly bare and other had 3 feet of snow! It's 24 degrees and not expected to rise above freezing until Sunday!

Is it snowing today in Ft Collins, Viking Queen?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
We've had some cold days and recently a tiny bit of snow, but we had a very unexpected significant snow in early December. I think I would be fine with little snow. It makes it hard to get to the chicken coop, makes a mess of poodle coats and is a drag to try to get around in and I have lots of training plans for the next three weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It has been super cold! We're in the Foothills area of ABQ. We've gotten more snow this year than we have ever since we've been here (6 years). Our Ginger puppy has loved the snow though and our boys have had a ball playing outside with her. In fact my 6 year old made a snow cave just for her.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Johanna:
Molly the Chihuahua, on the other hand, absolutely hates snow (and rain). She does not want to get her tiny feet wet. I have to shove her out the door into the dog run several times a day or else she will find a quite corner of the house and use it. Ugh!
Have you considered winter or waterproof boots for Molly?... if she'll keep them on

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I'm in New Orleans, we too much of the same weather as Houston. We have had rain it seems every day and a lot of it too. My backyard is normally pretty dry (no lakes) for the area but it it nothing but soggy mushy mud right now. I have to walk Renn in the street or he would be a mess. Our boxer likes to run int he backyard and we have to wash his feet off every time he goes out. I'll be glad for some colder temps and wind to help dry things up a bit. Looking forward to having soil/sand brought in in Spring and new sod. (not, but necessary). I also no longer like cold but this damp rain I despise, I'll take the hot humid summer anytime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts