Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little guy had the cutest little black nose to match his black eyes. At around 18 months I started to notice the very top of his nose had a brownish tint. It's more visible when it's on the drier side.

I don't know if this is a health issue or just something that is in his breeder's line. He was born with cream hair and it turned white at about the same time as his nose turned a bit brown. Every now and then, if the light hits him a certain way, I do see a cream-ish cast in his hair, but the light has to be just so.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? He's due for his annual checkup soon and I'll bring it up to the vet if this isn't normal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Twyla. Gilligan's nose is starting to look like Lenny's.... they're the related ones, right? they have to be. I would swear you could swap Lenny and Gilligan and not be able to tell them apart.

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
I have read that using plastic water bowls over a long period of time can cause discoloration. Read that and other possible reasons here:

Possible Causes of Puppy Nose Discoloration

If the reason could be mild anemia, feed you toy poodle two fresh cooked chicken livers once a week, or if your vet okays it, twice a week. Liver is rich in Vitamin A. You can cook them all at once, bag up in individual baggies and freeze. I do this anyway for mine from time to time as a supplement.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I occasionally give him dehydrated chicken liver as treats. His food, Primal freeze dried raw, has a good deal of liver in it. Because I feed raw, his bowls are stainless.

I'm seeing the vet next week and I'll be sure to ask. He had blood drawn in November and I think his discoloration started earlier.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Vita's link covers this as "winter nose". It's also called "snow nose".
Remo's nose started out the cutest little black button, then started fading.

Almost 9wks to 1 year old.

This is his current nose color. It changes thru the year but has never gone back to black.

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
Rose n poos is correct Lenny's nose does darken up come spring and summer.
I feed all my pets in ceramic or metal bowls, plastic harbors bacteria and over 20 yrs ago gave my cat severe chin acne so haven't used them since.
If I remember correctly Mary2e Lenny and Gilligan are 3rd or 4th cousins.:love:
Truly handsome fellows.
Do you have some recent snaps?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rose n poos is correct Lenny's nose does darken up come spring and summer.
I feed all my pets in ceramic or metal bowls, plastic harbors bacteria and over 20 yrs ago gave my cat severe chin acne so haven't used them since.
If I remember correctly Mary2e Lenny and Gilligan are 3rd or 4th cousins.:love:
Truly handsome fellows.
Do you have some recent snaps?
I have to dig out some recent photos... His nose is still mostly black with just a hint of brown at the very top.

I think Lenny's father is Gilligan's grandfather :) Or the other way around :)

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
I have to dig out some recent photos... His nose is still mostly black with just a hint of brown at the very top.

I think Lenny's father is Gilligan's grandfather :) Or the other way around :)
Oh goody I am looking forward to see Gilligan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts