Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If browns show up in a litter, with a parent being black, and a parent being white, will the browns always have brown noses, or can they have black noses like their parents?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
And to address questions you did not ask...

If creams are produced from this breeding, they run the risk of having brown pigment which is a disqualifying fault (and not very pretty). Also, the browns from this breeding will have a higher than average chance of fading. In general breeders try to avoid mixing these three colors.

BTW... most breeders would not consider a cream with liver pigment to be a candidate for breeding.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah.. I've seen the cream/white poodles and other dogs with the liver noses and find it very unappealing. Could a cream be produced from this mixture, even though there's none in the lines?

With the browns with the liver noses and other pigments, are those disqualifying faults for them? Or are browns just not often shown?

·
Registered
861 Posts
As my poodle is brown, I'm curious. What is a 'liver' nose?

Also what is "silver-beige" as originally the breeder stated that was her color. she looks brown to me, though! Even her snout (or is muzzle? lol).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Liver is just another term for brown, in the dog world most brown dogs are called liver.

Silver Beige is like a Silver but insted of a Black dog with the fading gene its a liver dog with the fading gene. So that means your dark puppy will fade out to a light tan with dark ears like this dog. But thats if its a true Silver Beige, my dog is a Cafe Au Lait, she was born dark and has faded to the color of coffee with creamer in it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thanks. So how do I really know, or do I just have to wait and see? She has both brown and silver-beige in her lineage. Her father was black and her mother is a silver.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Do they really fade that much?! That seems a bit extreme, but I also heard it's not really unheard of in poodles. Aren't some whites born with apricot or cream in their ears that fades as they get older?

I'm still learning about all these genetics and fading things, it's all really interesting and this is the best place for ansers.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I love how your Bella has a really dark brown nose, that's almost black. If I were to get a brown poodle that's the way I'd want him or her to look. I may be a little biased to say the pale noses are a little off-putting.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Aww, thank you.

Our breeder said by looking at the muzzle was how we could tell what color she could turn out to be. Well, actually said that to us when we were looking at seemingly black puppies to tell us they would be "blue." But they all had shaved muzzles, so maybe that's why you could tell? I don't know...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My white Spoo has a pink nose, and I was wondering why that was?
Her brother has black pigmentation and has been titled.
Her ancestors in the last 4 or 5 generations have all been white, and her brother has only been bred to blacks. Is it the blacks that give pigmentation? and the whites' fade over generations???

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Wow! Do they really fade that much?! That seems a bit extreme, but I also heard it's not really unheard of in poodles. Aren't some whites born with apricot or cream in their ears that fades as they get older?

I'm still learning about all these genetics and fading things, it's all really interesting and this is the best place for ansers.
I think the confusion lies in that what poodle breeders call "cream" most pet owners would call white. Creams are often born a milk color with darker, butter colored hair on ears and down the back and they fade to a lighter color that looks almost white.

There are a few Poodles who are truly white. These puppies are born an ice white color with no visible cream color hair on their ears.

As far as Bella goes, I think she will be a Cafe and not a Silver-Beige. The Silver-Beiges I have seen are a redder color as puppies, they have lighter faces and they tend to clear their color more quickly. I don't know how old your girl is in your photos, but she is still pretty dark on her body and her face looks dusky rather than light.

·
Registered
861 Posts
As far as Bella goes, I think she will be a Cafe and not a Silver-Beige. The Silver-Beiges I have seen are a redder color as puppies, they have lighter faces and they tend to clear their color more quickly. I don't know how old your girl is in your photos, but she is still pretty dark on her body and her face looks dusky rather than light.
Thanks. She is 4-5 months in the photos.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Browns can be born with black points, but a true brown will only have dark amber eyes, dark liver nose, lips, eye rims and toenails.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Her ancestors in the last 4 or 5 generations have all been white, and her brother has only been bred to blacks. Is it the blacks that give pigmentation? and the whites' fade over generations???
Looking at your picture, I think your poodle actually has correct pigment but that it might have what we call a snow-nose. This is a nose that started out black when it was a puppy but by age 1 yr or so the nose lost its pigment. These noses typically darken a bit in the summer with sun exposure and lighten in the winter. Hence the name. Does your dog have black lips and eye rims?

A cream/white with brown pigment will have a truly pink nose, pink eye rims, and pink lips. Genetically it is bbee. http://www.vetgen.com/chromagene-coat-color2.html

For the last few years, Doodle breeder have been specifically breeding poodles with this color combination because they won't ever produce black when bred to brown dogs and black Doodles are harder for breeders to sell.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that's a very interesting site, cbrand, thank's for linking that.

Are black standards harder to sell because they're more common? Or does it just go with the whole black pets in any form are harder to sell / adopt.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Wow, that's a very interesting site, cbrand, thank's for linking that.

Are black standards harder to sell because they're more common? Or does it just go with the whole black pets in any form are harder to sell / adopt.
I don't think black Standard Poodles are hard to sell. People who contact me are usually looking for black.

In Colorado, I often have a hard time convincing people to think about cream/white puppies. Buyers are always under the impression that light colored poodles somehow get dirty sooner (dogs get dirty at the same rate regardless of color) and lots of people are worried about tear staining because they have seen that on the Minis and Toys. I also think that it is a macho thing. A lot of men who are taking the 1st time poodle plunge think that a black dog is somehow butcher than a cream dog.

I like to encourage people to think about cream poodles:
They don't get as hot in the sun.
They are easier to see at night in the tent.
Children are more receptive to light colored dogs (therapy work).

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Sea kelp pills will help with the pigment on a dog. Ive personally gave them to our female Ch Amstaff that had a semi filled in black nose when we got her. (the rest was pink) Anyhow, it filled in completely with in 4-6 months of taking the pills and then we no longer had to color in her nose for shows. Yea!! Not to mention she looked so much prettier with a filled in nose.

How old is your poodle? I dont know if the kelp will have a effect on a older dog. She does have black eye liner (pigment)around the eyes right?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I don't think black Standard Poodles are hard to sell. People who contact me are usually looking for black.

In Colorado, I often have a hard time convincing people to think about cream/white puppies. Buyers are always under the impression that light colored poodles somehow get dirty sooner (dogs get dirty at the same rate regardless of color) and lots of people are worried about tear staining because they have seen that on the Minis and Toys. I also think that it is a macho thing. A lot of men who are taking the 1st time poodle plunge think that a black dog is somehow butcher than a cream dog.

I like to encourage people to think about cream poodles:
They don't get as hot in the sun.
They are easier to see at night in the tent.
Children are more receptive to light colored dogs (therapy work).
I love white/cream poodles. I think they are prettier then a black poodle (I own a black standard. lol) The hubby requested to please get a black Standard Poodle so I picked against a beautiful white male. Luckily we love our Eli and wouldnt trade him for anything. If there's a next time, I wont get another black over white or cream.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts