Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FCC5964E-E1B6-4C3F-A29E-C2D5CA93B038.jpeg

A breeder I’m interested in had a litters of brown puppies. They say some are phantom and others are brown they’re about 3 weeks now. The sire is apricot and the dame a cafe au lait. I’m wondering how much these puppies will eventually fade once they’re older. I want a brown poodle that won’t fade that much but I’m not sure if that will happen based on the parents. I don’t have any knowledge about color genetics so I’m asking the experts! What do y’all think they’re potential will be?

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Until someone with more knowledge drops by, I can tell you that poodle color genetics is not fully understood yet and doesn't lend itself to predictability.

This is one of my go-to links for color questions:

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
Ahhhh! There goes my puppy fever again! I just want to snuggle those babies. :)

My understanding is that most brown poodles fade. Here's an old thread on the topic:

"If you want a brown that is going to stay a nice, dark, chocolate color, you'll want a puppy with little or no 'fading' colors in the pedigree: no silver, silver beige, blue, or cafe au lait."

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
Some one else can all the genetic but since one of the parents has a fading gene the cafe su lait they with all fade to some degree. Cafes don't start to clear or fade until about 3 years old.

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
Given both parents would seem to carry the fading gene I would think it unlikely that the pups would stay dark brown.

Reactions: cowpony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given both parents would seem to carry the fading gene I would think it unlikely that the pups would stay dark brown.
Yeah I figured that would happen. The breeders originally said the puppies would come out apricot and some reds but they all came out brown in the end

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhhh! There goes my puppy fever again! I just want to snuggle those babies. :)

My understanding is that most brown poodles fade. Here's an old thread on the topic:

"If you want a brown that is going to stay a nice, dark, chocolate color, you'll want a puppy with little or no 'fading' colors in the pedigree: no silver, silver beige, blue, or cafe au lait."

They are very cute I kinda want to get one regardless of the fading color:love:

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
Two are obviously Phantom Poodles, two have lighter patterns in the pictures and the other two are in the brown spectrum but that is my eye judging this pictures

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you want a brown with very little fading prepare to do a lot of research and breeder interviews. A breeder would have to be very focused on achieving this to get anywhere near it, IMO.

There used to be someone on PF with a brown standard that was holding its color very well, but for the life of me I can’t remember their name.

If I was intent on a less-fading brown I would call all the breeder referral people at all the poodle breed clubs.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
There used to be someone on PF with a brown standard that was holding its color very well, but for the life of me I can’t remember their name.
I can’t remember his name either, but the name of his dog was Choco and he was from Europe, France of Belgium I think, where rules are very strict on colors and breeders are forbidden to breed dogs from different colors. So this type of dark brown is almost impossible to find in North America.

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
Scroll to the fourth post on this thread:

A beautiful brown mini! But still fairly young.

And here's the stunning Chôco:

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is a breeder in Canada that focuses on little to no fade in brown however she has other issues, I would steer clear of that line. There are other breeders out there focused on non fading browns but it will take some research on your part to find what you are looking for. Unfortunately I don't have much to offer in the way of direction for you. Good luck in your search!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts