Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I expect DARK RED Standard poodle from Brown DAM and RED SIRE. Will it be DARK RED. I red somewhere in a forum that said not to breed between BROWN and RED.

- Das

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'd have to see the pedigree to see what colors to expect, but breeding colors isn't like mixing paint. Brown isn't likely to darken an apricot or red, just make a few noses brown.
Carole

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
When breeding brown to red you run the risk of putting brown pigment on the the Red. This is highly undesirable.

I would think the breeder either does not know what they are doing or once again they are breeding to sell to the Doodle breeding market where these dogs are sought after.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Brown to Red is a bad idea! Red to Black is correct since they both carry the black pigmentation and often improves the quality of the red lines. If someone is breeding Brown to Red, I would find another breeder!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Can I expect DARK RED Standard poodle from Brown DAM and RED SIRE. Will it be DARK RED. I red somewhere in a forum that said not to breed between BROWN and RED.

- Das
Absolutely a bad idea This is what the red breeders are breeding AWAY from. Of course the choice is yours. But the chances of your puppy having a brown nose is HUGE! This breeder has NO idea what they are doing !
Did you ask about gentic testing ?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
One of my girls was bred to a brown before she was mine. What they got was ten black puppies who throw brown pigment. AWFUL!!!! The pups themselves were pretty enough blacks, but two of the females were held back for breeding and their pups, whether balck or red have awful pigment.

Brown and red are both recessive colours, so usually a breeding of these two colours will produce black, and not great blacks at that. This does not sound like a breeder who has a clue what they are doing. Bigrredpoodle is correct. THIS is what we are all trying to avoid and breeds away from. Terrible idea!!!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
One of my girls was bred to a brown before she was mine. What they got was ten black puppies who throw brown pigment. AWFUL!!!! The pups themselves were pretty enough blacks, but two of the females were held back for breeding and their pups, whether balck or red have awful pigment.

Brown and red are both recessive colours, so usually a breeding of these two colours will produce black, and not great blacks at that. This does not sound like a breeder who has a clue what they are doing. Bigrredpoodle is correct. THIS is what we are all trying to avoid and breeds away from. Terrible idea!!!
Love your avatar pic is this one of the new babies ?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yes brown to red breedings is bad !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts