Poodle Forum banner

Brown clearing?

508 5
Hi all,

I have been noticing more and more white hairs on my 1 year old brown miniature poodle. At first I thought they were just guard hairs but I recently shaved her face and she now has a decent amount of white. Is this a sign of her clearing? She's been pretty solid brown up until now, with a slightly lighter brown on her beard by her nose, which you can kinda see in the second picture. Just curious. Thanks!

Attachments

Reactions: Tulsi
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Most brown poodles do, indeed, fade. The degree to which that happens depends on the colors of the ancestors. The ones that stay a rich, dark brown are probably from ancestors who were all brown or black - no creams, silvers, blues, or apricots in the past 5 generations. Sadly, that is not very common.

BTW - poodle breeders generally use the term "fade", not "clear".

·
Registered
Whiskey Ginger (2yo DSH), Black Cat (5yo angora mix), Delilah (6yo DSH), Max (13yo aussie/sheltie)
47 Posts
This is just how our brown toy started to clear - we started noticing white/silver hairs mixed in with the dark brown. He just turned two and is now a nice cocoa color with darker fur around his muzzle, ears and feet. View attachment 499976
He's beautiful! Is it normal for browns to fade as they get older (1-4)? I know that cafes (our Koda's color) and silver beiges clear into a much lighter coloring (same with blues and silvers), but I didn't know that most solid colors did :)
Interesting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts