Poodle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I recently groomed the girls and during the summer I trim them down pretty close. Usually 3/8 -1/2”. I love their hair long but with summer come foxtails, burrs and critters ( lions, tigers and bears oh my lol) so keeping them short helps me really see what’s going on. I’m looking for a recommendation for a soft bristle brush.
Belle is a bit difficult and really needs a softer perhaps rounded end bristle brush
Suggestions please.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
So for Evie, I brush her with the Chris Christensen Long Pin Slicker Brush, Large. And the Andis pin brush, along with a metal comb.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I am about to strip mine down for the summer too (CA is heating up!). When they're that short, I just use a slicker from the pet store that has plastic pins with coated tips--very gentle and no static.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maize,
Yes, California is definitely heating up. Were in the upper 80's already. In Lakeport 90's and even 100 are on the way. Last year was relatively mild, only a couple weeks over 100. The heat really stresses the girls. Inside most of the day with a walk early (6ish) and then after dark if I'm not too pooped.
Plastic pins with coated tips, sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Do you think a boar bristle type brush would be softer on their skin?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
MaizieFrosty, would that pin brush work on a puppy coat? It is hot and humid in summer where we are, and I'm going to try to keep the pup's coat short. I think I almost ordered the wrong brushes--i just looked, and they both have pins with no guards on the ends:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YJ0SR2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ARQYG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1BMD17SWWHE8J&psc=1
I think it depends on how short you clip your pup. If super short, I'd go with the rounded tips brush, but if the coat is at least an inch long, the brushes you ordered should be okay. Also make sure to buy a comb, if you haven't already, to go over the coat after brushing to check for mats. I have the CC poodle comb, but I had this one and liked it just as much (and it is a good $40 less): https://www.amazon.com/Andis-2-Inch...dle+comb&qid=1556066271&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-5

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
53 Posts
I started with a normal slicker brush & found it much too sharp
I now use a slicker with softer pins & coated ends, have found it more gentle on my poodle

Which brush did you choose, has it worked well for you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.