Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kpoos thread got me thinking about this. I mentioned that I was never that crazy about Bostons until I met one. I also met a Pekingese at a recent dog show that really stole my heart. He had the head tilt perfected and the cutest, extremely expressive face. I've always heard Pekes are tempermental and don't like new people, but this little guy was so extroverted. I'm not saying I want one of these breeds, but these two dogs really made me think.

Another breed that I've always liked, but meeting them made me adore, are pitbulls. I've never met sweeter dogs. I've known several and all were extremely affectionate. My brother found a stray pit a few years ago and brought him for Thanksgiving weeks after taking him in. I was nervous to have a pitbull, w/ an unkown history come to my house. I was dozing on the couch when my brother and his wife arrived and Hawg ran into the house and jumped in my lap. Everytime I sat down the whole week he curled up beside me. I adore my "nephew" and I would love to adopt a Pittie someday.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oh I love so many breeds but I'm so limited because I'm allergic to many. The ones that shed skin cells quickly are the worst breeds for me to be around and some of the ones I love so much. The owner of the store where my husband works is the director of the Humane Society here. He has a lot of dogs that he claims as his but one in particular is this great dane that was brought in ages ago and he has just claimed him as his. He's not available for adoption anymore but he lives at the Humane Society and goes to work with him at the store everyday. It was partly because of this dane that our Humane Society got dog runs so he can go in his run everyday after "work" and enjoy himself. He's the sweetest dog ever. He sheds like a cat and is as lazy as a cat. If I wasn't so anal about shedding I'd want a great dane. I think seeing him changed my mind about what they were but I have a lot of breeds that I'd love to take in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
For good or bad?

I used to think goldendoodles were gorgeous, sweet looking dogs, then I became a groomer and got to be a lot closer to the dogs. Some are okay.. but it's too much work for something with an ADD problem.

I also don't care for malimutes and huskies after being a groomer. I've learned not to go for breeds on their looks.

Though, for good, I've met a giant schnauzer, and I used to think they were really protective dogs, almost chow like towards strangers, but the one I met last week completely changed my mind. He was a doll, not just in personality, but for his complete groom.

·
Registered
744 Posts
i used to hate soft coated weatens but now i groom 5 and i have one who is lovely i have kind of changed my mind on them

and i used to think bedlingtos where so ugly but now i love them and plan on owning one one day

·
Registered
897 Posts
I used to hate small dogs, then I met Fonzie! I'm now sold on poodles - love the ease of the smaller size, and the fact that they don't shed. Of course, the personality is great, too!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Does it have to be dogs?

I grew up riding horses. I played around with hunters in high school and in college I worked four summers on a guest ranch. In the late 1980's I was living in Seattle and I was asked to exercise a 3 gaited American Saddlebred (former show horse). Now there is a lot of prejudice against saddleseat horses outside of that discipline and I was skeptical. Once I got on, though, I was sold. It was like driving a Ferrari! What a blast!

He stole my heart. I had never encountered a horse that was so honest, so willing and that truly gave 100%. I knew that I had to have one of my own. Ten years or so later, I able to buy one of my own and he exceeded every expectation I had. Although an ASB he went on to have a rather illustrious career as a dressage horse. He even made an article in Dressage Today about ASBs in dressage!

I'm in between horses now, but I'll only ever have an ASB from now on (ok... maybe a couple of fat ponies too).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I should not admit this but...
I did not like Poodles at ALL until I started grooming. Now...I am obsessed!
I did not like any of the 'foo-foo' dogs. Only the short haired ones for me! Now, the 'foo-foo's' are my life....
Funny how a few years changes everything!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I should not admit this but...
I did not like Poodles at ALL until I started grooming. Now...I am obsessed!
I did not like any of the 'foo-foo' dogs. Only the short haired ones for me! Now, the 'foo-foo's' are my life....
Funny how a few years changes everything!
Funny thing, I was sort of the same.......now I have 2 Poms and a standard! And I agree now I am hooked completely

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I was the same too, no WAY would I want a poodle!!! lol. Don't want anything else now...

I had to laugh at the soft coated wheatens, I used to LIKE them, but have recently had to turn away two seperate SCWT without grooming them cos they were unhandlable... I don't like 'em so much anymore.... lol

I agree with huskies/malamutes since becoming a groomer, I'm not at all drawn to them like I used to think I was!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I had to laugh at the soft coated wheatens, I used to LIKE them, but have recently had to turn away two seperate SCWT without grooming them cos they were unhandlable... I don't like 'em so much anymore.... lol
Yeah there's other groomers at my salon that won't touch them too.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It was poodles for me too.
I have two clients at the clinic with exceptional spoos, and I dogsit for both of them. They stole my heart.

My very first horse (and the one I had since I was 9) was a straight egyptian arabian, and I loved him to pieces, he was very intelligent, gentle and eager to please, not to mention drop dead gorgeous. I would ride lesson horses, etc and nothing compared to him. I thought (at the risk of getting flamed) quarter horses were slow, stubborn and dumb, and I didn't like mares.

Until I met Tiki, my friend's QH. She was the most gentle, intelligent, beautiful horse I ever met. She changed my mind on quarter horses, I'm definitely a fan now! She passed away recently as well (not long after my old guy), but she actually has me considering a quarter horse if/when I ever get another.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Until I met Tiki, my friend's QH. She was the most gentle, intelligent, beautiful horse I ever met. She changed my mind on quarter horses, I'm definitely a fan now! She passed away recently as well (not long after my old guy), but she actually has me considering a quarter horse if/when I ever get another.
LOL! I've ridden my share of QHs and they just don't do it for me. To me, they are the Labs of the horse world.

·
Registered
300 Posts
LOL! I've ridden my share of QHs and they just don't do it for me. To me, they are the Labs of the horse world.
I would like mine 1/2 QH and 1/2 TB please! Oh, and if you want any fat little ponies, I have the cutiest Haflinger colts I can send your way! lol Their called the "golden retreiver" of horses, but I believe they are much more stubborn than goldens!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Kpoos thread got me thinking about this. I mentioned that I was never that crazy about Bostons until I met one. I also met a Pekingese at a recent dog show that really stole my heart. He had the head tilt perfected and the cutest, extremely expressive face. I've always heard Pekes are tempermental and don't like new people, but this little guy was so extroverted. I'm not saying I want one of these breeds, but these two dogs really made me think.

Another breed that I've always liked, but meeting them made me adore, are pitbulls. I've never met sweeter dogs. I've known several and all were extremely affectionate. My brother found a stray pit a few years ago and brought him for Thanksgiving weeks after taking him in. I was nervous to have a pitbull, w/ an unkown history come to my house. I was dozing on the couch when my brother and his wife arrived and Hawg ran into the house and jumped in my lap. Everytime I sat down the whole week he curled up beside me. I adore my "nephew" and I would love to adopt a Pittie someday.
I have never reallly been fond of pitbulls until I started working with my current job. I have several co-workers who own pitbulls that are rehabilitated fighting dogs, they are extremely affectionate and loveable dogs... and they love...love...love their humans. (very sad that that is one of the reasons they are used for dogfighting) I have even considered adopting one.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I have never reallly been fond of pitbulls until I started working with my current job. I have several co-workers who own pitbulls that are rehabilitated fighting dogs, they are extremely affectionate and loveable dogs... and they love...love...love their humans. (very sad that that is one of the reasons they are used for dogfighting) I have even considered adopting one.
Pit bulls have changed my mind as well, I used to be scared of them when I was 12. Now they are my favorite breed. PS pit bull don't have to be trained to fight. This is why peoples pit bulls end up in the shelter they believe that bs that they must be trained to fight in order to be DA. Its totally untrue. I have Met many DA pit bull who where raised in a normal family home. And of course not all pit bulls have DA my bf owns one that is not DA.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent point Roxy, it's not always the owner, sometimes it's just genetics. There is only so much you can do with an aggressive or weak temperment. Not that those dogs (of any breed) can't make good pets in the right environment.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would like mine 1/2 QH and 1/2 TB please! Oh, and if you want any fat little ponies, I have the cutiest Haflinger colts I can send your way! lol Their called the "golden retreiver" of horses, but I believe they are much more stubborn than goldens!
Oooh where I used to board had Haflingers, I loved them.

So cute.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Pit bulls have changed my mind as well, I used to be scared of them when I was 12. Now they are my favorite breed. PS pit bull don't have to be trained to fight. This is why peoples pit bulls end up in the shelter they believe that bs that they must be trained to fight in order to be DA. Its totally untrue. I have Met many DA pit bull who where raised in a normal family home. And of course not all pit bulls have DA my bf owns one that is not DA.
My dogs a bit DA =/ she was our first dog though and we knew NOTHING about socializing. I want to take her to obedience classes at my work to maybe help with it. Is four years old too late?

And as far as horses go.. if I see a horse, I see a horse! I don't see specific breeds lol. Oh, wait, white horse! That's different than a black horse! (Yeah, my knowledge goes far!)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a friend a few years ago that was obsessed with large birds. She used to drag me around to the bird stores to look at Cockatoos with her. I was bored to death. I had never had a bird and couldn't understand her fascination with a two legged creature with feathers and a beak that could break your finger.

.......then I met Paco! A Ducorp Cockatoo who was the cuddliest of beings. Needless to say, Paco came home with me. I loved him dearly. My step son was allergic to him and I had to rehome Paco. A friend of mine has him and they are doing wonderful together. Plus I get to see him from time to time.

I completely understand humans and their birds now.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Oh, wait, white horse! That's different than a black horse! (Yeah, my knowledge goes far!)
Well... there are white horses, black horses and RED horses!! :) This is my Suffolk Punch, Xenophon... Maybe he's why I fell in love with red poodles!!??!! :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts