Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met a Shar Pei puppy recently. 8 weeks old, roly-poly, sweet, wrinkly, and oh so cute.... Both Annie and I thoroughly enjoyed him.

When I was about 8, Shar peis were my dream dog. I had Shar pei stuffed animals, and was convinced that when I was an adult, I would own one. Now, finding myself an adult, I hadn't even thought of one in years. Certainly no longer on my list - I don't like dogs with wrinkles, with pushed in faces, dogs bred for dog fighting, and I like the working breeds!

Admittedly, that dream stems from a time when my dream car was a Volkswagen Beetle, preferably in orange or purple, with the main reason being the joy of knowing every where I went children were punching each other. A beetle wasn't on my list of first cars, either :)

What about you? Any breeds you once dreamed of that you now wouldn't chose to have in your home ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I grew up with Airedales (great dogs!) so I never knew what it was like to have a dog that shed. A few years ago I lived with a roommate who had a shedding dog and I was shocked and how much his hair drove me insane! I am so glad I had that experience before I got a dog of my own. I love pretty much every breed of dog, but I don't think I would ever be able to live with a heavy shedder again.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes!

Lagotto Romagnolo - decided they were not the dog for me. I prefer tall, skinny dogs. They ended up being "too bulky' to make my dream dog list. (also known to be barky, no thanks)

Pitbull - I was little, I thought a pit bull was what you saw at the shelter all the time. Realized that was not the case, and I do not wish to own a dog with as much prey drive as the APBT has. Allergic, too

Silken Windsprite - They are still one of my "favorites" but I will not own them. Admire from afar. Sighthounds and hounds in general are NOT for me. Allergic too

Sheltie - Too much fur, allergic, way too barky.

There are more, that I just ruled out because I decided that they were not the kind of dog I wanted, for looks or temperament.. although I was never "sold" on them in the first place. The dogs above, I DREAMED about owning.

I also still have a hard time pushing past "deacon is the best dog ever I do not want another dog, deacon is perfect".. besides being allergic to him, and his behavior issues.. He is the PERFECT size, he is cuddly and sensitive, clingy and eager to learn.. He's a great dog. I joke that I just want to clone him.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My mom has a mini schnauzer when I was small and that dog was my BFF. I always wanted to have a standard or giant schnauzer but now I think I just can’t with the beard. I also wanted a papillon and an Italian greyhound but I can’t see myself with that small of a dog, ever.

·
Registered
91 Posts
(The GSD briefly belonged on this list, but my desire to have one someday has been renewed.)
My grandparents had an amazing GSD. Their intelligence, speed, and drive to work are so similar to poodles. I think there is a big overlap in folks who love both breeds because they share so many great qualities.

·
Registered
633 Posts
GSDS put me off because of the health issues. Show line dogs are hard to find without hip issues, and working line GSDS are the type I like (they look less "dramatic") but they are WAY too much dog for me.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
My grandparents had an amazing GSD. Their intelligence, speed, and drive to work are so similar to poodles. I think there is a big overlap in folks who love both breeds because they share so many great qualities.
For sure. Our foster GSD went to a couple of lifelong GSD owners, but the woman has been wanting a spoo now for ages. It’s the only other breed she’d consider.

My issue is that my husband is not a fan. I’m not sure I’m comfortable giving up on this particular dream, but everyone in the household really has to be onboard when a dog is involved. A tough situation.

·
Registered
633 Posts
once I get a poodle, (my dream dog!!) I think Ill branch out and maybe go back to the rescue life. I love well bred pure breeds, but the "box of chocolates, never know what your going to get" is so drawing to me... I know some people what to know exactly what they are getting in to... but I love the challenge and behavior issues rescues often surface.. Plus, would rather a behavior case end up with me, and not with some.. uhum.. idiot.

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
I looked into Belgian Malinois once. I had the idea they had all the good traits of a German Shepherd - the work ethic, the trainability, the athleticism - in a smaller, healthier package. Plus I knew a really nice long haired Belgian Shepherd when I was a kid. The more I learned about the Malinois, though, nope nope nope. Too much dog for me.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked into Belgian Malinois once. I had the idea they had all the good traits of a German Shepherd - the work ethic, the trainability, the athleticism - in a smaller, healthier package. Plus I knew a really nice long haired Belgian Shepherd when I was a kid. The more I learned about the Malinois, though, nope nope nope. Too much dog for me.
On my silly days, I want one. My friend has one and he is awesome. And there was one at the park used to go to who I wanted to steal. But ... The 4 hrs/day of exercise is what keeps killing that dream for me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
the four hours a day is what I wanted in a dog until I realised I wouldn't have the TIME for that... My dream would be to import a SPOO from schutz lines, or get a belgian laekenois some day.. bite sports are so appealing!!!

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Registered
242 Posts
I grew up with an Afghan hound (my parents thought they'd try to raise a bafflingly aloof, challenging and high maintenance dog before having human children, I guess?) and then two successive bearded collies, who were much doggy-er dogs. Both of those breeds need even more intensive grooming than a poodle and none of the ones we had liked it. Both beardies were also incredibly barky, but that was probably our fault.

While I loved them all, I held a soft spot for sight hounds and wanted for a long time to adopt a retired racing greyhound. It's still something I might consider? But I really appreciate the prospect of off leash adventures with Oona and most people say you can't ever let your grey off leash unenclosed. I don't think my partner would go for a greyhound so that would have probably been off the table even if borders (and greyhound adoption to Canada) hadn't closed this year.

·
Premium Member
24,032 Posts
I used to dream about Saluki (and Afghan hounds) but nopers, don't want a dog that has a reputation for dying young in car crashes or that needs that much running time.

A black standard poodle bitch was my dream dog for decades while I lived in apartments with no yards. Now I have her, my sweet pupchick Lily. I always had interest in GSD too and BF came with one although Peeves is not his original GSD that I knew when we met. He did grow up with mpoos so he was on board for our standard poodles. We are big dog folks. And there are no other breeds we would consider.

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
the four hours a day is what I wanted in a dog until I realised I wouldn't have the TIME for that... My dream would be to import a SPOO from schutz lines, or get a belgian laekenois some day.. bite sports are so appealing!!!
I think you have to be really careful with dogs bred for bite sports. When dogs are bred for a job, simply having the opportunity to perform that job is a reward. You can reward a collie for gathering sheep by giving it more sheep to pen. You can reward a lab for pulling a ball out of a cold lake by throwing the ball right back into the cold lake for the dog to retrieve again. Managing a dog that finds fulfillment in sinking its teeth into something is a bit more stress than I'm up for.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I'll be working with a club and a close mentor, if my dreams did come true.. very far out from now, though :D

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Puli or Komondor. I can't deal with the coat. I wanted either one of them, but I don't have a house for the Komondor, and I read about bathing them. Komondor grooming, bathing and care | Espree

I don't really care for small dogs, but when I see one who doesn't have Small Dog Syndrome, I love them. I won't have any dog breeds with short muzzles who have trouble breathing or ones that are prone to health problems. I wanted a Doberman, but I have read the most die early due to health problems.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts