Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay y'all know I have my Standard Parti girl Tuesday well the lady I got her from (my semi best friend) has a Brown Parti Standard male who is of great quality and would have been a gorgeous show dog if he did not get mauled by a Pti Bull when he was 18 months old (it about killed him) well when my friend bought the dogs it was agreed that she breed Tuesday and Scribbles together.

Well once I got Tuesday my friend told me it was up to me if I wanted to breed her. At first I said no I wanted to wait to show her and all that jazz well, I don't think showing is going to an option for Tuesday. She is a great dog and does well with me stacking her, gating and grooming; but she pees when she meets new people :eek:hwell: that's getting better. She also seams board with just running and stacking. I was thinking about making her my obedience dog and maybe doing some therapy work with her. She seams to enjoy the challenge of OD. But I think I want to go ahead and breed her on her next heat (in February/April) Then keep one of her puppies as my next show dog so I can start from scratch.

I think Tuesday has nice conformation and Scribbles is nice, he has great color. They both come from quality lines (TyTan's and Kitsues) they will both be tested for Poodle-y illnesses and all pups save for the one I keep and the one my friend keeps will be on spay and neuter contracts and go as pet only on limited registration.

So I guess I just need some outsider opinions. I have always been pro spay and neuter and still am but for some reason I feel like if I breed her with out her being a show champion I am doing some gah awful thing and I will damned to bad owner hell :dont-know: I mean its not like I'm going in half assed, sire & dame will be tested, they are of quality and Tuesday will have the best care as will her puppies. This will most likely be a one time breeding and then she will be fixed.

:thinking:

Any advice?

Oh I'll get some pictures uploaded of Tues and Scribbs in a second!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures!

These are new of Tues, excuse the quality XD it was cloudy and at dusk so they are a bit blurry. Oh and the one of her with some bad hair was a before the bath picture.

This is the only one I have of Scribbles, he is due for a grooming soon and I'll get some stacked photos when I can.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hey-I just noticed you have the same house shoes as I do...
I am wearing mine right now!:tongue:

Anyways, I think they would make some gorgeous puppies considering
the coloration of both parents for one and Tuesday has a nice conformation!
I think Scribbles is purdy as well. :D

I think it's up to you what you wanna do- afterall she is your dog, you
know what's best for her!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think that you are on the right track. Clearly there are people that really freak out if your dog isn't championed... and I do understand that the point behind that is breeding a good representation of the breed. However, you are clearly not being a BYB or puppy mill. You are doing the right thing for your future puppy owners by having male and female tested (to me that is the really important part - so that hopefully the puppies will be healthy for their new owners).
And like you said - you are planning on breeding her once so that hopefully YOU can get a dog out of the breeding to show. Which again - makes sense. You aren't trying to overpopulate the standard poodles.
This scenerio sounds like one that I would be interested in if I was looking for a puppy.
BTW - I love the daddy! I'm a sucker for brown.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm in a similar position with a toy poodle, she is a good representation of the breed standard, her daddy is a champion off champion lines and her mother has champions and junior warrants in her breed lines. The problems I can forsee are:

• will you get a puppy suitable for the show ring?
  • is there a market where you are for pups?
We are in the middle of a credit crunch here and the market is pretty bleak. Bulldogs that were going for £2000 are now selling for £450, if at all. Lots of reputable show breeders have cut back on their matings

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't think you have to title a dog to warrant breeding from her, BUT will the mating produce quality pups, will it improve the breed standard, will you actually get the show potential pup you want?

And as highhorse said is there a market for those pups. I would be concerned as standards can have such big litters (T was from a litter of 9) I certainly wouldn't want 9 pups to be finding homes from with the doom and gloom everyone seems to think we're having! I know my breeder offers to take back any pups or help you rehome if for what ever reason you can't keep the pup any longer. Once they are on the ground you hold their lives and their future in your hands - personally I would buy a show potential pup rather than introducing another litter of pups to this world.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks y'all for your opinions, I appreciate it very much.

When my friend got Scribbles I was in love with him and we were going to show him until he got hurt. He has nice movement for a guy with two bad legs, nice tail set and bone. So I do think that by breeding them it would benefit the breed, if it turns out that none are "show quality" then they will be fixed as will the parents so...

I have been searching for a show quality Parti Standard puppy for the better part of 2 years and I have yet to find a breeder that I would want to fork over 2 grand for a puppy that may or may not turn out. I have been researching both pedigrees and seeing what relatives of theirs have produced and so far so good. There are a few that are not so good but you can't get perfect every time.

Well the "market" according to my friend is pretty big for Parti Poodles of any size and we would advertise in the bigger cities. If I do breed her I am well prepared to take on as many puppies she would have. I have seen some litters of as little as 2 or as many at 11 so its a toss up as to how many she would have. I was a bit anal about who my rabbits went to a when I was breeding and showing them and with any of the animals I fostered so I would make sure all homes would be forever homes and I fully plan on offering lifetime support to those pups. I would rather the people bring them back to me then get rid of them on their own. Haha knowing me I would end up keeping the whole litter!

My friend and I are hoping to have our own line of Parti Standards as the current lines are getting a bit muddled and BYB and millers are jumping on the Parti wagon. Haha she told me just the other day that she can just see us now strutting around the ring at Westminster, me with the dog and her in the crowd cheering us on! Haha I told her she was nuts but breeding and showing dogs has always been a dream of mine and right now seams to be the perfect time to do it as I don't know when I will get another chance.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Another thing you can do to protect yourself from puppies ending up in the wrong hands is to co-own EVERY ONE! Then if the dog is no longer wanted, ect...your name is still there.

I know that spay/neuter contract is a must...but even if you send them already altered that doesn't "guarantee" them a great forever home. If you make people aware that all pups will be sold under co-ownership only that will run off your BYBs.

As for demand...um yes huge one...I get e-mails all the time from people wanting to know if I breed parti-color poodles...becuase of my e-mail addy.

Most want small ones but a few are looking for ANY size, and a few have asked about parti-color standards poodles. I imagine that tons are BYB looking for a cheap breeder...but the ones asking for for pups that are already "fixed" I know are not asking with bad intentions.

There is a woman in Indiana with some parti-color standards and I know when she had some puppies they were all gone in a week. Of course that was like 2 yrs ago so the demand might be down now. I don't think her dogs were show dogs or anything...but she was selling them on limited papers so I would guess they had spay/neuter contracts as well. For a whole litter of I think 7 to go in one week on limited papers must be saying something about the demand.

I don't have a link to her site...all I can remember is that her male's name was Walker and he was a very nicely marked parti-color. Maybe Chicky knows her or knows more...

·
Registered
616 Posts
in one of your posts you stated that this will more than likely be a one time breeding, and then in the last one you stated that you and your friend hope to have your own line of Partis? Which is it?
:focus:
I think if you think you can find them good homes and have a spay/neuter contract then go for it, they would have BEAUTIFUL puppies!! She is your dog!!:tongue:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with breeding two conformationally correct dogs that are health tested. Most breeder's have a dog now and then that they keep because they are good breeding stock but cannot be shown for one reason or another.

I actually like idea of breeding Tuesday to a male that is a brown parti instead of a cafe parti. Your pups should be much more flashy then breeding a cafe parti to cafe parti like you mentioned before.

By the way the stacked pic of tues inside looks the nicest. Her non show side is flashier then her show side huh. She has a nice high tail.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
After looking back at the pics too Tuesday has pretty nice bone for a bitch. The male looks like he could use a little more so Tuesday has plenty to give to there babies.

I couldn't help but mention that. I can't stand it when people breed poodle's with no substance or bone to dogs with none either. They just looks fragile and not sound.

Does the male still have his rear lower legs. Thats very sad that he was atttacked from a bully. What a horrific incident that must of been.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, the one time breeding was in reference to Tuesday, once we have a litter she will be spayed and her puppy's (the two we would keep) would continue the line. When I had my rabbits the most I would breed them would be twice, why keep breeding the same animal over and over again? That's how lines get muddled.

Thanks Jenn, the one of her inside in the best one I have gotten. I am still learning how to stack her just right as she likes to lean :lol: I love Tuesdays bone, Scribbles has about the same, and I love his dark color. Tuesday has gotten so light it would be un-beneficial to breed her to a Cafe so this breeding would be perfect. I was a bit worried about her tail when I got her but now that she has grown a bit its great, not to gay or over the top.

Scribbles recovered extremely well, you would never know he had anything wrong with him until he moves as he has a little limp. His two limbs that were injured are a bit thin do to mussel loss but you can still see the dog he could have been. I'll have to get some more pictures. I did find this one of him, its not very flattering XD

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Haha, the one time breeding was in reference to Tuesday, once we have a litter she will be spayed and her puppy's (the two we would keep) would continue the line. When I had my rabbits the most I would breed them would be twice, why keep breeding the same animal over and over again? That's how lines get muddled.

Thanks Jenn, the one of her inside in the best one I have gotten. I am still learning how to stack her just right as she likes to lean :lol: I love Tuesdays bone, Scribbles has about the same, and I love his dark color. Tuesday has gotten so light it would be un-beneficial to breed her to a Cafe so this breeding would be perfect. I was a bit worried about her tail when I got her but now that she has grown a bit its great, not to gay or over the top.

Scribbles recovered extremely well, you would never know he had anything wrong with him until he moves as he has a little limp. His two limbs that were injured are a bit thin do to mussel loss but you can still see the dog he could have been. I'll have to get some more pictures. I did find this one of him, its not very flattering XD
haha...ya thats not the most flattering pic but you can atleast see he's got a rear. lol Tuesday tail would be the least for my worries as its atleats high set and you can tell from pics its has a strong thick base. If the studs isn't gay or gay tails don't run in there lines then I wouldn't worry.

He's got a lot of white....that should be a flashy litter of parti's since Tuesday has more color. I hope the health testing goes well and the breeding is successful. Im sure you know this but try and get them to tie 3 times. 2 is good but 3 is better.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
how big is Scribbles? Tuesday?
I think your thinking what Im thinking. Scribbles looks like a smaller male Standard Poodle. I believe Tuesday is a taller bitch so breeding to a smaller male would be beneficial to this breeding. That should bring the pups back to Standard height for a Standard Poodle.

If only all breeder's would try to stick to the standard in breeds.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tues is about 22/24 inches at the withers and about 55lbs. Scribbles is about the same size maybe a little smaller. He does have a lot of white but also a lot of ticking, I hope he will pass on his blaze and muzzle markings. I hate seeing those over sized so called "Royals" :shot:

I have been doing so much research on breeding and my friend who owns Scribbles has bred dogs before so I think we are set. I think we are going to start having play dates the first of February :whoo:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
This is the dog we were wanting to put a deposit on for pick before I got Sting. His name is Bugatti.

http://grandeurs.net/

Depending if I need to do an outcross which I don't believe that's needed since his breeding was an outcross. I prefer line breeding so you have consistancy and do outcross's when its needed. The plan will be to get a bitch out of a stud to breed back to Sting, eventually.

I think Im going to go with Huffish lines though. I love Ch. Da Maya Hightide Splash, which is pictured on this page a few times. I have lots of research to do and over time things can change but Im getting to where I can tell poor lines from better now. Im making progress. lol

http://www.huffish.se/news.html

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Tues is about 22/24 inches at the withers and about 55lbs. Scribbles is about the same size maybe a little smaller. He does have a lot of white but also a lot of ticking, I hope he will pass on his blaze and muzzle markings. I hate seeing those over sized so called "Royals" :shot:

I have been doing so much research on breeding and my friend who owns Scribbles has bred dogs before so I think we are set. I think we are going to start having play dates the first of February :whoo:

From Tuesday's pics she looks like she's in the 24 inch area. I think that would be a good idea to go with a slightly smaller male in your case. If you don't have a wicket (sp) try and measure her with a tape measure at the top of her wither's.... just for reference. LOL you probably already know what.

I can't help myself sometimes!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts