Poodle Forum banner

Breeding standards in apartment...

795 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  cowpony 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.
It's been awhile from my last logging in.
Lots had happened...
We had to send our Mischa to rainbow bridge about two months ago. I was really sad...he was always right beside/behind me, following me everywhere... And to lose that, it felt like I was missing one of my limbs... Now I am slowly accepting him not being here with me but still I can't stop talking to him.
He was suffering from Chronic Active Hepatitis pretty much since we adopted him about 8 yrs ago...but we were controlling it with medication. Then his spleen had to be removed two years ago, and we had discovered his cancer under his tongue in this past April. (We considered his overall health and his age(14), decided to control his pain with medication..)
I am in search of a standard again...I just can't live without a wonderful companion like spoos.
I came across German AKC equivalent website called VDH and found a couple of breeders. (they have much more stricter breeding regulations compare to the US?...breeder has to take courses/seminars by the organization, the sire/dam/puppies has to go through health/temperament testing, the min. age for the sire 15mo. and dam 18mo., the dam only allowed to be bred once a year up to the age of 8, "breeding supervisor" will visit twice once the puppies are born, etc,etc,...of course, I hadn't taken a look at the AKC breeding guidelines or anything so I could be mistaken...)
Anyways, I think if I find the breeder through them, I feel pretty confident about the health of their dogs/puppies, at least, up to the puppies birth.
Now come to my question...
There was a breeder I found who lives in an apartment and trying to breed standard puppies. (there are another spoo, min poo and a cat living all together I believe...so maybe one or two bedroom apartment? oh and it's not at the ground floor...) They assure me that the puppies will be socialized as much as possible. (taken out to the park whenever possible, expose them to kids & other dogs, ride in car, of course the normal house noises, etc,...)
Should this be a red flag? As far as the upbringing of the puppies are concerned...would some other breeder who lives in a house with access to the outside have greater advantage??? I have no idea if puppies from the breeder living in a single house will have stable/well-balanced temperament and that's whom I should go with... Or, is it not that big of a deal...???
Any of your input/advice would be really appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

See less See more
#3 ·
So sorry to hear about your Mischa, PB. There's no stillness as quiet as a house that's lost a beloved dog.

An apartment wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, provided that the pups have adequate socialization, stimulation, and opportunity to be potty trained by the dam. Can you reach out to other people who have dogs from this breeder?

#4 ·
In my experience most litters don't get a lot of outdoor experience beyond the confines of the breeder's own land until they are fully vaccinated, and that usually happens after they are in their new homes. I would be uncomfortable with taking unvaccinated pups to a park and would prefer one with as wide experience indoors and outdoors as possible, but I don't think the fact that they will be born and raised in an apartment would be a deal breaker. I pity the breeder if it is a large litter, though...!

#5 ·
I certainly would consider the breeder if everything else is ok. Being exposed to cats, neighbors, and neighbor noise is a good thing. My only concern is that the pups might be a little slow to housebreak. Since she lives on an upper floor, I assume she has been using a litter pan or pee pads instead of taking the puppies outside to pee. Dogs who get into the habit of peeing inside sometimes take a while to unlearn the habit. However, I wouldn't let that concern stop me if I found an otherwise perfect puppy.

#6 ·
I would not let it stop me, if the breeder fit all the other requirements. In fact Evie's breeder lived in a 4-sh bedroom apartment with kids and cats. She can much more socialized than my previous poodle who was bred in a normal house. I just depends on the breeder.

Reactions: Vita
#7 ·
Thank you so much for your advice! (and condolence.)
I had no idea some breeders are managing bringing up puppies in an apartment.
I wish I could ask the people who's gotten puppies from this breeder...but this will be the first time for him/her and so
that won't be an option for me unfortunately. (he/she has had some years experience of being a trainer/rescue dog trainer and so he/she has been around.)
Also, I misspoke of the taking puppies to the "park"...it is one of the family member's backyard and also the rental garden plot that belongs to this breeder so there is no one else using the property.
And I am hoping to land on somewhat of a laid-back puppy...if there's any such thing among standard poodles...(the dam looks kind of on a higher energy end of a scale...)
I really appreciate you taking the time to read and reply to my post. It helped me feel better about this breeder and I think I will keep closer look at every update I might get from them later on...if anything I need clarifying, I might stop by here to ask for your help again...
Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.