Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend in TX is looking for a breeder. She found a litter that is soon to be born, mother red, father brown. She is looking for a red or brown.... I've seen litters that came out colors you might not expect of the parents. She was going to put a deposit down, but I told her to wait and see what we can read up on what the puppies colors might be. I would hate to see her loose a deposit or put on a waiting list to get the puppy she is looking for.

Anyone know anything about this?? Or where we could look up such info?? Any good breeders I could point her to in TX?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
My friend in TX is looking for a breeder. She found a litter that is soon to be born, mother red, father brown. She is looking for a red or brown.... I've seen litters that came out colors you might not expect of the parents. She was going to put a deposit down, but I told her to wait and see what we can read up on what the puppies colors might be. I would hate to see her loose a deposit or put on a waiting list to get the puppy she is looking for.

Anyone know anything about this?? Or where we could look up such info?? Any good breeders I could point her to in TX?
First of all I suggest you friend hold onto her money and find another breeder.
Breeding reds to browns is a BIG NO NO. The pups can have liver noses which is not desired in reds. If she wants a good brown there are many good breeders who breed them unlike the reds.

I live in Ca and can only suggest CA breeders if your friend does not mind shipping.

We have members on this forum who live in TX and maybe they can chime in on good poodle breeders in TX

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yeah.. like Roxy said that's NOT a good combination at all, no experienced breeder would mix those colors together. The pigment is completely wrong. If she's looking for either of those colors, tell her to find lines that breed both of those lines to blacks only.

Or at least from what I've read on here.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I could list several good resources and breeders in TX, but I can't think of a single one that has reds. I was never interested in reds, so I never looked. I list a few links below. I don't know how breeders usually do it, but I would be hesitant to put down a deposit before the pups are born and my breeder doesn't take deposits until then. She put me on the waiting list though. What if she puts down a deposit and none are red? What if there are 5 pups and she's 7 on the list? If the breeder is in a hurry to get a deposit, then I would find another breeder.

This is a good site, but I don't see any red breeders in TX:
http://poodlesonline.com/red/redstandardpoodlebreeders.html

A few Poodle clubs in TX:
http://www.bluebonnetpoodleclubofhouston.org/
http://www.lspc.org/
http://www.thepoodleclubofsanantonio.com/

These are all listed on the Poodle Club of America's website and I would check out of state too, if I were you/her. TX is so big, sometimes it's easier to go out of state. My breeder is in OK for example and I'm closer to NM than most of the bigger cities in TX.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

Breeding red to brown is not a good idea. The noses, eye rims and lips might turn out a brown color Sometimes the noses are pink . The eye color can be yellow as well. Tell her to keep looking....

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Totally agree with everyone here. When we red breeders are researching for potential mates for our breeding dogs, it is preferable to have NO brown in their pedigree AT ALL. You can get the lighter noses and the amber or green eyes, which, while fine on a brown look wretched on a red. I would say the fact that they bred these two colours together shows how little they know about breeding.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
First of all I suggest you friend hold onto her money and find another breeder.
Breeding reds to browns is a BIG NO NO. The pups can have liver noses which is not desired in reds. If she wants a good brown there are many good breeders who breed them unlike the reds.

I live in Ca and can only suggest CA breeders if your friend does not mind shipping.

We have members on this forum who live in TX and maybe they can chime in on good poodle breeders in TX
((((( It is so sad that you say this. There are some red breeders who are trying to do things right!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
((((( It is so sad that you say this. There are some red breeders who are trying to do things right!
Yes very few. I would say over 95% of red breeders are just breeding for color and $$$$ ( I spoke with many and some seem to have few missing screws as well lol )

And you should know by now I am not talking about you ;)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yes very few. I would say over 95% of red breeders are just breeding for color and $$$$ ( I spoke with many and some seem to have few missing screws as well lol )

And you should know by now I am not talking about you ;)
I actually take it back its probably more like 97% of red breeders are breeding for the wrong reasons. i can only count like 5-7 breeders who are trying to improve the color lol

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
This is something similar to what you could get. Although Olie is apricot and maybe not be preferred on the nose color but on apricot is acceptable in showing (but wouldn't likely go far in showing:eek:hwell:) If for a pet - and its not expensive it's something to consider - BUT I am guessing if a deposits being asked, they are charging a higher price... and in it for the wrong reasons. :) I guess with that combo it's like a box of chocolates!!

Either way here's Olie. And my BF got Olie and the more I ask about the history of parents the less info I get.......had he known a little more but.....:) so good thinking on encouraging to look around.

Also it's the nose, mouth and even feet that are light colored.

OLIE'S FIRST CUT 012.jpg OLIE'S FIRST CUT 017.jpg

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
This is something similar to what you could get. Although Olie is apricot and maybe not be preferred on the nose color but on apricot is acceptable in showing (but wouldn't likely go far in showing:eek:hwell:) If for a pet - and its not expensive it's something to consider - BUT I am guessing if a deposits being asked, they are charging a higher price... and in it for the wrong reasons. :) I guess with that combo it's like a box of chocolates!!

Either way here's Olie. And my BF got Olie and the more I ask about the history of parents the less info I get.......had he known a little more but.....:) so good thinking on encouraging to look around.

Also it's the nose, mouth and even feet that are light colored.

View attachment 6341 View attachment 6342
Yeah they would be just dark red with liver , do you know what color Olie's parents are ?

o I am going to pm you :)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I much prefer the black points even on an Apricot. We color test every one of our dogs . That is the first thing I test for ...

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yeah they would be just dark red with liver , do you know what color Olie's parents are ?

o I am going to pm you :)
Wish I knew, I wasnt with him when he got him.....But his nose is so light colored....we call it a pig nose but in the cutest loving way:) I have his papers and I am going to take it upon myself to find out just because I am intrigued now.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I much prefer the black points even on an Apricot. We color test every one of our dogs . That is the first thing I test for ...
IMO I would test for some health issue first before color test. IMO the color test thing is a waste of money.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Wish I knew, I wasnt with him when he got him.....But his nose is so light colored....we call it a pig nose but in the cutest loving way:) I have his papers and I am going to take it upon myself to find out just because I am intrigued now.
Cool I would like to know what colors are in his back ground just for knowledge. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree that Red to Brown is a no no. If you are interested in a Red, there are good red breeders to be found. Some of which are on this forum. Color testing like health testing is a tool that should be used along with knowing your pedigree to produce better dogs. Any color can be exploited for money. If you do decide you want a Red you may just have to travel to get the dog of your dreams, but good red breeders are out there.:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, thanks everyone... I'm going to fwd this thread to her, sounds like the breeder doesn't really know what she's doing!! I think there were several other things that she was thinking may be signs that this was not a breeder she wanted to go with, so don't think she's interested anymore... but for future breeder hunting this will help!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Cool I would like to know what colors are in his back ground just for knowledge. :)
I was just wondering how accurate the colors on poodle registrations would be? The only reason I am wondering this is because for an uneducated person it would be very easy for them to mis-register say a blue pupy as a black. Cash was sold as a black. His mother was a beautiful silver color, and is registered as blue (I believe). I believe that he is/will be blue... or maybe just a bad black? If I had registered him as soon as we got him, before I found this forum and began learning, I might have registered him as black.

I wouldn't think this would be an issue much with reputable breeders, but since so many are not...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
This is the reason for the color test that is a really good questions.
Back in the early 80's the red color was not recognized so alot of Apricots could very well have been reds. So the genetic test is a really important if there is a question , or if there are any browns and blacks in the pedigree..
Alot of blacks carry for brown as well. So the color test would be of the utmost importance for me anyway..As Gingersnap stated it is one of many genetic tools avaialbe to us in todays world.
Keep on learnin I say !!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts