Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your feelings on breeders that advertise? Im not talking about just having a website. Advertising on puppy sites, breeder sites, newspapers, craigs list, etc. It was always drilled in my head that a "good" breeder didnt need to advertise. They should have their litter sold before breeding. Etc. Now i dont know how i feel about it. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have talked to a few folks about this that felt good breeders should advertise and maybe you will get those folks that don't know any better and be able to educate them. I used to do a lot of Italian Greyhound rescue and they would advertise also. It was all from an education standpoint more than a "selling" standpoint.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hmm, I always heard that as well. I think it would depend where the breeder advertised and what the content of the advertising was. We have 4 to 5 homes for Ziggy's *fingers crossed* upcoming litter, but if she pops out a ton more puppies, then we might have to find somewhere to advertise! We currently just have a website and a link on the club website, hopefully that will be enough.

I guess my point is I wouldn't rule out a breeder just because they advertised.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I wish more good breeders would advertise so they could overtake the bad breeders and educate puppy buyers.
Agreed. I've also heard that "a good breeder doesn't need to advertise" but it's never quite sat right with me. If no responsible breeders ever advertise, how will novice puppy buyers find them? Or even know that they're out there?

That said, it's not bad if a breeder doesn't advertise either. And if they do, they shouldn't be using buzzwords like "teacup" or "royal standard" or being shady about it. But I don't think advertising the litter is bad (as long as they're still screening homes and educating new owners, etc.).

·
Registered
178 Posts
How the h*** are you going to sell anything if you don't advertise! "Good breeders don't have to advertise." This is just another marketing slogan as certain breeders try to differentiate themselves from their competition. Mongrel breeders advertise, rescue groups advertise, and if you read the show mags you'll see very expensive full page ads for the latest Special with all their big wins. Most of what you have or think you want to have, has been carefully marketed to you for you entire life. Even the word Poodle = Distinctive, prissy, froufrou, expensive, pampered, refined, delicate etc. A muddy dog with a dead bird in it's mouth doesn't exactly come to mind!:) Cheers!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I know several top breeders and plenty of not so good breeders advertise on one paricular site. Honestly if there's a show pic, I check them out. If it's a puppy or anything else pictured in the ad, I move on. I think it's good b/c 1) people see a pic of what the breed is supposed to look like, 2) those ads usually mentions champion dogs instead of "champion bloodlines" and 3) those ads usually mention health testing. If an uneducated puppybuyer sees that, they are going to wonder why the rest don't show or health test.

·
Registered
145 Posts
LOL I see nothing wrong with advertising. Statistics show most people do their research on the internet before ANY purchase nowadays. What would you wish...an inexperienced puppy buyer to get online and find a slew of ONLY bad breeders, OR, a mix of both good and bad to compare with and at least a chance of contacting a good one? Seems to me the answer is obvious.
To answer your question further, yes more often than not a good breeder will have a waiting list of people willing to wait for the right pup to come along...which in turns means most of the litter will already be spoken for. I'm sorry but I don't think advertising differentiates good breeders from bad in general.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I advertise and I took some heat from my club about it. I feel that if only the high volume breeders advertise then that normalizes their breeding programs. I want people to see that there are other people doing things differently.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
More good breeders need to advertise. Becuse that's how the NEW poodle people lern about the good breeders.

SURE their litters might not NEED advertising but the industry/sport/BREED so that new people who come into our breed talk to GOOD breeders not JUST the high quantity breeder

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Please advertise! It helps those of us that are looking for good breeders! If you are not "in the loop" so to speak, how are you going to find a good breeder? Times are a changin', everything is online now. I want to see the show pictures, the champions and the health testing as well. I also enjoy reading about the pups in their new homes, and seeing pics with their new families. You can definitely get a feel for what the breeder stands for by looking at ads.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
There's two different types of advertising in my opinion:

Having good pictures of both parents and puppies, describing the breed, ect.

And having pictures with the puppies covered in bows, saying SHEDLESS in caps, with crappy clip art all over the picture.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Millie's breeder had an ad. It made me slightly unsure at first, but after talking to her and another breeder who referred me to her, she turned out to be quite a good breeder. It was her first litter so the ad was one way to "get out there". As a first time breeder, I was very impressed at how well she followed the "ethical breeder" guidelines.

Summary: I think that you should not rule out a breeder because they post an ad. An excellent, ethical breeder might post an ad, and a questionable breeder might already have a "popular" reputation. The most important thing is getting to know the breeder and deciding based on that.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I advertise and I took some heat from my club about it. I feel that if only the high volume breeders advertise then that normalizes their breeding programs. I want people to see that there are other people doing things differently.
ABSOLUTELY !!!! GOD forbid top breeders stop advertising and showing what a "real poodle" looks like and what a "real breeder" does and how !!!!!! I wish they advertise themselves more, actually - even on the silly sites LOL- but no top breeder would lower oneself to be in THAT company LOL

All in all - I am for "advertising" of the top stock by all means !!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Please advertise! It helps those of us that are looking for good breeders! If you are not "in the loop" so to speak, how are you going to find a good breeder? Times are a changin', everything is online now. I want to see the show pictures, the champions and the health testing as well. I also enjoy reading about the pups in their new homes, and seeing pics with their new families. You can definitely get a feel for what the breeder stands for by looking at ads.
I second Skye! I'm here because I'm looking for my first standard poodle, and I need good breeders to advertise- otherwise, how do I even know they exist? A lack of advertisement by good breeders leaves a vacuum that gets filled by puppy farms and other bad breeders.

Yet another quote comes to mind (a little hyperbolic in this context, but only a little): "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

...If you consider the triumph of evil to be puppy farms and doodle breeders.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
There's two different types of advertising in my opinion:

Having good pictures of both parents and puppies, describing the breed, ect.

And having pictures with the puppies covered in bows, saying SHEDLESS in caps, with crappy clip art all over the picture.
Oh, I could not agree with you more! There are A LOT of really cheesy sites out there! My DH and I have a graphic arts/web design company. I told him I would love to get our hands on some of the breeder sites! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts