Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't find a home? I'm sure that most poodles do find loving homes.. but I've seen some breeder sites where the same little baby will have their photo up for weeks and months.. then their price is reduced.. then.. what? :(

I may or may not get an honest answer here.. and I realize that some pups may very well be put down if they are not homed. I can't imagine a breeder hanging on to every pup that isn't sold. It would be a zoo then!

I'm curious tho... :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Most reputable breeders have a waiting list so most pups are sold as soon as the litter hits the ground. The majority who have a left over keep the pup until its placed.

Most backyard breeders will set up on a road side somewhere to get rid of left over pups or take them to a rescue.

Puppy Millers generally don't have to many left over puppies but the ones they do have they either sell as cheap as they can, dump them or kill them.

But there are many a circumstance and it would come down to what the individual breeders.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The rescue we got Flip from said that he and his brother (and sister too, I found out later) were relinquished from a breeder to the rescue.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I suppose I would just keep mine. And certainly not breed again if there was no one interested....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
This scenario doesn't tend to happen for small scale breeders who only have 1 or 2 litters a year. They usually have a waiting list, and often have to turn away more homes than they have puppies for. But if it DID happen to us (if my mom had another PWD litter) then we would keep the puppy/ies indefinitely. Eventually I know a home would show up. And we would definitely not be breeding again, as obviously the demand was not there.

Large scale breeders, who are more likely to have pups listed on their website such as you mention, most likely end up handing them over to a shelter or rescue. Most puppies that end up with shelters are from high volume breeders or BYB's who couldn't place them. I would guess it's very rare for a puppy to be put down just because they couldn't find a buyer.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
This scenario doesn't tend to happen for small scale breeders who only have 1 or 2 litters a year. They usually have a waiting list, and often have to turn away more homes than they have puppies for. But if it DID happen to us (if my mom had another PWD litter) then we would keep the puppy/ies indefinitely. Eventually I know a home would show up. And we would definitely not be breeding again, as obviously the demand was not there.

Large scale breeders, who are more likely to have pups listed on their website such as you mention, most likely end up handing them over to a shelter or rescue. Most puppies that end up with shelters are from high volume breeders or BYB's who couldn't place them. I would guess it's very rare for a puppy to be put down just because they couldn't find a buyer.
I would agree with this.. But if you cannot home your pups why would you continue to breed? Makes no sense to me.. God I would hope that it is rare to put a puppy down .. That is a horrible thought.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I don't think I ever want to buy from a breeder who has people pick their puppy as soon as it's born. I want to base my dog off of temperment, not gender or color. Yes, I know dogs should be bred based off of temperment, but that doesn't mean each puppy isn't an individual.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I know that we will never put a puppy down for lack of a home!!!! That is just inhumane. Since we won't be high volume breeders, I don't expect we will have a problem placing all of our puppies. However, if one cannot find a home right away, we will retain it until we find the right forever home for it. I see no point in putting it into a shelter/rescue to be homed when we can do the same thing here and keep its socialization skills and family atmosphere up.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well put spoosprit. WE always have room for more. And the added bonus of the baby getting mor mommy time that is a real plus...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would agree with this.. But if you cannot home your pups why would you continue to breed? Makes no sense to me.. God I would hope that it is rare to put a puppy down .. That is a horrible thought.
They keep breeding because they can SELL and make some $$ off the young puppies. Even if they have some "leftovers" that they have to "get rid of" they can still breed again and make more $$ of the young puppies.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Often times breeders just hang on to them until they are like 7 months old. They throw them out in the yard and don't bother to train or socialize them. IMHO, this is the worst thing a breeder can do because so many dogs end up irrevocably ruined.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I know that we will never put a puppy down for lack of a home!!!! That is just inhumane. Since we won't be high volume breeders, I don't expect we will have a problem placing all of our puppies. However, if one cannot find a home right away, we will retain it until we find the right forever home for it. I see no point in putting it into a shelter/rescue to be homed when we can do the same thing here and keep its socialization skills and family atmosphere up.
I still have cats that I held onto for over 7 years lol ;)

I finally found a home for him so hopefully next week he will be rehomed.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I still have cats that I held onto for over 7 years lol ;)

I finally found a home for him so hopefully next week he will be rehomed.
Good for you Roxy! That is a loooonnngg time!! LOL Animals are not disposable creatures to be dumped when they no longer serve a purpose for us.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I don't think I ever want to buy from a breeder who has people pick their puppy as soon as it's born. I want to base my dog off of temperment, not gender or color. Yes, I know dogs should be bred based off of temperment, but that doesn't mean each puppy isn't an individual.
When I was looking for a puppy, I saw some breeder sites on the internet that sounded like they picked the puppy they would sell you, rather than allowing you to meet them and decide for yourself. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but I thought it must be common practice. Is it?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I am sure that good and reputable breeder would NEVER put down the puppy for that reason :wacko:!!!! I actually personally know a poodle breeder who is very high-end but still did not put down even an obvious runt that was born (very sickly pup) and she even had to bottle feed it for 4 weeks and spent more time and money than on any other pup in her litter. She could have just let the nature take its course , actually - but she did not !!! She knew she will have hard time placing that puppy and still, she never even considered "giving up" on finding a perfect home and not just "any home" and she did :):):) !!!

So - I think that that is one of the MAJOR differences between breeders who do it for the "love of the breed" and one that do it solely for the money ... : (((.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
marian, it's probably actually going to be a MUCH better match if the breeder can pick your pup; they KNOW those puppies inside and out, who is the bossy one, who is the laid back one, who will be a really driven working dog, and who will be a quiet house pet, etc etc etc. They are with those pups 24/7 for 8 weeks, you cannot hope to know the puppies as well as them in just an hour or two, and you'd be liable to pick a puppy who looks cutest, or comes up to give you a cuddle first, despite the fact that one of the other puppies might actually match you and your family much much better!!!

A good breeder should be able to match the puppies by talking with the new owners a lot and working out exactly what the new owners want in a dog, they will know which of their puppies fit that the best, and IMO you'd probably be hard pressed to beat their opinion.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Marian - some breeders really try to match correct puppy with a compatible home but you should always have a right to refuse certain puppy and you should ALWAYS have a right to meet not only all puppies but parents too !!!

If breeder does not let you see all puppies - do not walk away _ RUN LOL !!!!

If you develop a close relationship with a breeder, he/she will most likely let you have a saying and choose after he/she takes a "pick" for herself . But, you also have to make an effort to travel and visit : ) !!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think it depends. In Rotties, any breeder who let the buyer pick a pup is really looked down on. (But Rotties tend to have stronger personalities.) I can understand letting the breeder pick for you, b/c they've lived with the pups for 8 weeks and have much more dog experience than the average buyer. How can the buyer spending and hour w/ the litter compare? (And a lot of people don't spend that long. I didn't w/ Harley. I wanted a male and there were two to choose from, for some reason I picked him and have been very lucky.) Even if the breeder let me pick, I would want a lot of direction from them.

This thread dicusses it more (page 3 or 4 I think): http://www.poodleforum.com/showthread.php?t=4093

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've been thinking about this as well, since the breeder we bought bella from still has one of the pups she had when we got her. So she'd be nearly 9 months. She's so beautiful, I wish I had the lifestyle (& patience) to scoop her up! I know she has a good "life" there but I also know it's not a permanent one, which makes me sad. IMHO, I think part of it, as least in this case, is this breeder gets a waiting list of people wanting 'show quality' dogs and there's not so many people out there, right now, wanting spendy high-maintenance (the grooming) pet dogs.

When we got Bella, we couldn't come for 2 weeks after we talked to the breeder, so she asked us what we were looking for in a dog as far as energy level, size, etc. Then she put Bella on "hold" for us since some people could come sooner. When we arrived we were welcome to choose any puppy there that we liked, but indeed she was spot-on that Bella was the one for us. It's hard to imagine now, but she was the "calm one." We didn't hear her bark for nearly 2 days b/c her sister had done all the talking for them. LOL. I think I would have had a hard time getting her sight unseen (like people who have them shipped to them), without meeting her first, though.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
When I was looking for a puppy, I saw some breeder sites on the internet that sounded like they picked the puppy they would sell you, rather than allowing you to meet them and decide for yourself. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but I thought it must be common practice. Is it?
I would prefer this actually, because a good breeder would be apart of the puppies life as they're growing, they would know the puppies individual personalities. Say I'm looking for a puppy with a strong retrieving drive, I would need a puppy that wants to play and the breeder would know this. If I was looking for puppies based off of color and gender at birth, I may get a calm puppy that could care less if I throw a toy (or shoot a bird) and would rather cuddle at my feet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts