Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious, are there breeders today who run working line poodle and breed with priority on temperament?

I'm not sure which sub-forum to post in, i figure i'll start it in the general one.

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
There definitely are spoo breeders who do. I don't know about Europe, but in the US and Canada there are breeders focusing on hunting dogs. I don't think the working and show lines have diverged to the degree seen in Labrador Retrievers or collies, however.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I would recommend the facebook group "Poodle Prospects for Performance Sports" and "Poodles n Performance Sports" to find and connect with breeders that participate in the venues you are interested in. There are many breeders titling hunting dogs, obedience dogs, agility dogs, service dogs... just about anything. But that said, there really isn't a split in the poodle breed. Good breeders that title in these venues also usually title in conformation. Knowing the parents participated in the sport you want can help to find a puppy with the type of drive you are looking for. But even a good breeder that only titles in conformation will likely have some pups suited for sport homes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts