Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

As our community continues to grow and I get more settled in here, I have had a chance to review some of the more pressing issues relayed to me by people in the community. One of them is about Breeders.

As you know, we are soon going to have a classifieds area for personal classifieds and vendors (people who want to sell items in larger quantities).

I want to provide this community with two options:

1. Put rules in place that will not allow breeders to post anything about their business here.

2. Create a new area for breeders (call it a Breeders Directory if you want). The breeders will have to REGISTER to be a part of this directory and there will most likely be a small annual fee attached to be listed in this directory.

One thing for sure, the current status quo is not working well enough to continue as is. To me, having a directory provides opportunities for education and accountability to current members and potential members.

I welcome your feedback in this matter!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I think that its a great idea, I am on other breed forums and that is a big rule on there. Breeder are not supposed to advertise puppies not unless spoken for.

Even on my reef forum vendors who sell corals are not supposed to advertise not unless they paid for it.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
What about customers posting unsolicited testimonials about the breeders we've had good experiences with? Would that be a no-no?

I'm not sure how hard it would be to "bite-my-tongue" in my day to day comments in this forum and always be worried that I might be offering an unintentional "advertisement" for my breeder... Just curious...

Thanks, Yung!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Paying for selling on forums is a pretty standard bit so I think it's a good idea if someone wants to sell puppies they should pay for it.

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about customers posting unsolicited testimonials about the breeders we've had good experiences with? Would that be a no-no?

I'm not sure how hard it would be to "bite-my-tongue" in my day to day comments in this forum and always be worried that I might be offering an unintentional "advertisement" for my breeder... Just curious...

Thanks, Yung!

That's a good question my fellow Spam lover. :) I haven't thought about rules yet but I will use my experience to guide me.

I am a member of a car community for Acuras (because I own one). There are many paying vendors on the site (mechanics, body shops, aftermarket parts shops, etc.) but at the same time, I am allowed to say, "hey, I had a good experience at Joe's shop" even though Joe is not a vendor. I am just not allowed to post links or telephone numbers or things like that to Joe's shop. And if I repeated try to hammer home this point, the community will call me out -- "hey Yung, are you sure you don't work for Joe's shop?"

The moderators/admins on that site are good because they will know if someone is obviously going there to create an account to put in a good word for themselves. I'm not saying this is how we will do it here but what do you think about this?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

Thanks, Yung!

I don't think is bad to recommend a breeder on here. On reefcentral.com vendors can not post pictures of corals not unless they paid for advertising. If I recommend a vendor who does not pay they don't deleted your post not unless you posted their link I can just say the name of vendor without the link ( people can google it) . ( its harsh on that site) I don't think we have to go that far but if you had good experiences with them feel free to post if someone is looking for a puppy or asks about the breeder.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
That's a good question my fellow Spam lover. :) I haven't thought about rules yet but I will use my experience to guide me.

I am a member of a car community for Acuras (because I own one). There are many paying vendors on the site (mechanics, body shops, aftermarket parts shops, etc.) but at the same time, I am allowed to say, "hey, I had a good experience at Joe's shop". I am just not allowed to post links or telephone numbers or things like that.

Also, the moderators/admins on that site are good because they will know if someone is obviously going there to create an account to put in a good word for themselves. I'm not saying this is how we will do it here but what do you think about this?
haha we posted the same thing

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
The moderators/admins on that site are good because they will know if someone is obviously going there to create an account to put in a good word for themselves. I'm not saying this is how we will do it here but what do you think about this?
Yep! It's all good!! I'll be OK as long as I can offer my personal experiences - There would be no need to offer links or numbers if it would be allowed to PM someone if they asked for contact info... Would that be OK?

And, seriously... I gotta go to the store and pick me up some delicious CANNED MEAT now! Sheeesh!! :)

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep! It's all good!! I'll be OK as long as I can offer my personal experiences - There would be no need to offer links or numbers if it would be allowed to PM someone if they asked for contact info... Would that be OK?

And, seriously... I gotta go to the store and pick me up some delicious CANNED MEAT now! Sheeesh!! :)
Whatever you folks PM to each other is none of my business. I don't see it. I don't have access to it. Even if I did, I don't have time to snoop through people's PMs. This isn't the NHLPA here. :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
As you know, we are soon going to have a classifieds area for personal classifieds and vendors (people who want to sell items in larger quantities).

I want to provide this community with two options:

1. Put rules in place that will not allow breeders to post anything about their business here.

2. Create a new area for breeders (call it a Breeders Directory if you want). The breeders will have to REGISTER to be a part of this directory and there will most likely be a small annual fee attached to be listed in this directory.

One thing for sure, the current status quo is not working well enough to continue as is. To me, having a directory provides opportunities for education and accountability to current members and potential members.
I don't understand why you think the current system is not working. I think it is working fine, though sometimes breeders get called out about their breeding practices. If these breeders can't adequately defend themselves, they can chose to take the heat or they can leave.

As far as a breeder registry providing education and accountability, who exactly has the knowledge to oversee this?

I am an active member of this community and feel like I contribute to this forum. If I had to pay a fee to be listed as a breeder and to talk about the litters I breed, then I would choose to leave.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't understand why you think the current system is not working. I think it is working fine, though sometimes breeders get called out about their breeding practices. If these breeders can't adequately defend themselves, they can chose to take the heat or they can leave.

As far as a breeder registry providing education and accountability, who exactly has the knowledge to oversee this?

I am an active member of this community and feel like I contribute to this forum. If I had to pay a fee to be listed as a breeder and to talk about the litters I breed, then I would choose to leave.
I do not know if this would help but I am on several Maltese forums and on some of them they have a "Breeder's Brag Corner" where breeders can brag as much as they want be it new litters or champions.As well, there is a "Puppies Available" where the breeders can advertise the dogs they have for sale!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I like the idea however I think the idea of letting others post references/experiences for you is not the best but thats just me, I do think theat there are some that would do just as you say ..Some are just a walking advertisement . I think that if someone is looking and interested then you go from there either PM or email ..I do think that accountabilty is key Do you test ? Where can I see it I know that I pay to advertize on several sites that you HAVE to have ypur testing posted somewhere faxing it will not cut it ..So I like this ...As long as it is kept professional .

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I do not know if this would help but I am on several Maltese forums and on some of them they have a "Breeder's Brag Corner" where breeders can brag as much as they want be it new litters or champions.As well, there is a "Puppies Available" where the breeders can advertise the dogs they have for sale!
I think this might work but then a lot of BYB or breeders who are not doing the right things will just come on here just to advertise and never contribute to the community.

cbrand you better not leave !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Two more things that they demand of breeders advertising on the site, they have to show proof of Pedigree ( in a link) and proofs that the proper testings are being done!
And only the forum members can have access to them. Visitors cannot see them as they are perusing the forum!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Two more things that they demand of breeders advertising on the site, they have to show proof of Pedigree ( in a link) and proofs that the proper testings are being done!
And only the forum members can have access to them. Visitors cannot see them as they are perusing the forum!
Excellent idea ! I like it

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I think the breeders on this forum contribute a lot to the overall conversation. I do however think there have been a few times where the contribution has started to look a lot like a sales pitch (and its not within the currently available breeding area). PM is available to those breeders who want to communicate information about their litters to other members.

I do think the forum would lose something if members couldn't speak about their experiences when it comes to breeding, or if ethical practices couldn't be discussed. So rather than a ban on speaking about litters, maybe breeders could have their own set of guidelines that say something like "it is up to the moderators and other members of the forum to decide if your contribution strays into a sales pitch. Our decision is final." We could use the report post function. So if someone gets too "salesy" or if a thread is seen as having no purpose other than to sell their dogs, then we could flag it and have it removed.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
If we are going to set parameters for breeders to post ads in this area, maybe they should have to post all pertinent breeding info...health testing, breeding dogs COI's etc....Cover all the bases or or cover none.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I think the breeders on this forum contribute a lot to the overall conversation. I do however think there have been a few times where the contribution has started to look a lot like a sales pitch (and its not within the currently available breeding area). PM is available to those breeders who want to communicate information about their litters to other members.

I do think the forum would lose something if members couldn't speak about their experiences when it comes to breeding, or if ethical practices couldn't be discussed. So rather than a ban on speaking about litters, maybe breeders could have their own set of guidelines that say something like "it is up to the moderators and other members of the forum to decide if your contribution strays into a sales pitch. Our decision is final." We could use the report post function. So if someone gets too "salesy" or if a thread is seen as having no purpose other than to sell their dogs, then we could flag it and have it removed.
I think that this is a fine idea, but feel only the moderators should be able to remove something. Members can red flag, but the moderators make the decision. I know that there are people on here (other breeders) who would have every post made by any other breeder removed because they have a bone to pick with them. So, that would not be particularly fair. But if the moderator is the one to make the decision, I am all for this!!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

Then you would have to have someone be policing this area Black or white Perhaps we could have a bragging thread puppy buyers could go there liters could go there and so on .. But this would just be breeders.NO SELLING. that would grounds to be banned... Proof of testing and on a site OVC OFA no matter but quantifiable and there. Asmall yearly fee would be worth being a listed on a site that folks can know that you have to meet guidelines to belong .
I really like that Idea.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts