Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been perusing the forum for a while and have read almost all the breeder posts, so please let me know if you think I am just repeating the questions others have asked!

I am looking for a miniature poodle breeder in Toronto or within driving distance of Toronto (that includes breeders that would need a week-end trip, such as northern Michigan or near NYC). I prefer black minis, but other dark colours such as brown would also be fine (I don't like the look of tear stains, otherwise I would consider lighter colours). As a PWD owner, I love the look of the partis, but am not sure about finding one with a good pedigree so have put them on the backburner.

I have been researching for months now and have found lots of breeders in and around Toronto and throughout Ontario, but what I'm struggling with is to find a low volume breeder- say no more than 3 to 4 litters a year. Full health testing, sound temperaments, early socialization (eg: raised in the home and around all sorts of stimulus) and perhaps competes in something other than confirmation only. Natural tails would be a bonus. So many of the breeders I have spoken to seem to focus on confirmation to the exclusion of all else. The one breeder I was recommended who has produced performance dogs specialized in creams.

Anyway, I am cautious based on a recent experience of visiting a breeder who seemed to be pretty high volume. I don't want to name names or go into details, but that experience scared me away from both that breeder and for a couple of days the entire idea of getting a mini poodle! And they had been recommended to me by dog people, so now I am restarting the hunt with a focus on what is important to me. I would so appreciate any thoughts or advice any of you have. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not publicly name names.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I don't think I can be of much help, but I wanted to let you know I think you're on the right track. Stick to your guns and I think you'll be happy you did!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Christmas Parti?

It's very early days, but I may have found the breeder of my future pup (a large toy). :) We've been emailing back and forth for a few weeks, but had a long talk on the phone today and I'll be meeting up with her and her dogs soon.

She is a low volume breeder (3 litters in the last 2 years) who is breeding 2 girls in the coming months. She titles at both ends (UKC Champions and Agility/ Obedience), feeds raw, leaves natural tails, limited vaccines and does a lot of socialization, leash training and even some clicker training. Her pups stay with the mother until they leave her home, and get lots of exposure to her Spoos and other toys. Oh and they have full health testing behind them, including elbows. My mom has actually known her for a few years as a fellow agility competitor, so we already have a connection.

She will know in a few weeks if there are pups, but both the girls have had a litter before, so I have my fingers crossed! One should have all partis while the other will probably have half partis and half solids. Her dogs tend to be towards the top of the toy size or slightly oversized (up to about 11 inches). She's keeping one pup, but will put me near the top of the list as we are a performance home and are also willing to put a UKC championship on the pup.

If all goes well, the pup will be ready to come home in mid December at 10 to 12 weeks of age. It seems like a long time to wait, but I have a great feeling about this breeder and am willing to wait for the right pup. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Yes, it will be worth the wait, and that timing is actually perfect for me. Of course I just want a pupppy NOW, haha. :)

I met the breeder and her dogs yesterday and it seems to all be a go, although I haven't committed to anything yet. She is relaxed and happy to wait until the pups are born to see if there's anything right for me before we worry about deposits or anything like that.

The dam is from Ynot parti toys and minis in Pennsylvania while the sire is from Sisco in California. It's a partial line breeding, so they do share some relatives, although half of the Ynot pedigree is a total outcross. Does anyone have any opinions on these two lines? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to say publicly. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Cdnjennga, I do not know anything at all about the Ynot parti toys and minis in Pennsylvania, but both myself (FUZBUTZ) and (SECRETO) also on this forum, own full brother litter mates that are from the SISCO lines, here in California. I realize that you are looking at toy/mini size dogs, ours are standards, but just wanted to let you know that these two males are great dogs. They do not look a whole lot alike, but their dispositions seem to be identical. Both are nice, calm, lovable hunks, but with lots of spunk, and are truly loved a lot. I think that Sisco's has some really nice dogs, in all sizes and colors. I have never heard anything bad about this kennel. I have never been to Sisco's, but if I remember right I believe that SECRETO has, so you might want to correspond with her, I'm sure that she can give you more info then I can.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hello,

I was reading this thread and noticed you were wondering about the sisco breeder. Her name is karen sisco with sisco's distinctive poodles and is very nice. I've not met her or seen her kennel in person (I'm like 4 hours away from her) but I've chatted several times with her before and she is well respected in the dog show world. She seems to beed good looking pups and is sticks to the standard. She has a website you can visit and look for yourself to get an idea. She seems very willing to chat about her lines and health concerns etc.I know that roxy25 recently met karen at a la dog show. She also said that karen seemed like a nice lady and I think she commented that her poodles were good looking.

Anyhow, just thought I'd offer the little info I had. I love my boy eli (half sisco lines). He is a very balanced dog and wonderful family companion to both people and pets. The same for fuzbutz boy rocky. He is a gentle giant and has a wonderful temperment. That's my eli's littermate bro like she said.

Glad to hear you found a breeder that seems right. I hope it all works out and christmas is just around the corner.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You might contact these breeders:

In your area... don't know them
http://www.geocities.com/enchantmentminipoodles/

In CT very good reputation:
Songbird Poodles
http://home.earthlink.net/~songbirdpoodles/

Kandansk Poodles Alberta (sorry)
http://www.kandansk.ca/archive.htm

Why not contact the Poodle Club of Canada and get a recommendation.

The most important thing to remember about Minis is Optigen testing. Breeding parents much be tested and be either clear or carrier bred to clear. If your Mini puppy is affected, it will go blind at an early age. Besides this, I think I would want to see testing for:
Hips
Legg-Calve-Perthes
Patellas

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hello,

I was reading this thread and noticed you were wondering about the sisco breeder. Her name is karen sisco with sisco's distinctive poodles and is very nice. I've not met her or seen her kennel in person (I'm like 4 hours away from her) but I've chatted several times with her before and she is well respected in the dog show world. She seems to beed good looking pups and is sticks to the standard. She has a website you can visit and look for yourself to get an idea. She seems very willing to chat about her lines and health concerns etc.I know that roxy25 recently met karen at a la dog show. She also said that karen seemed like a nice lady and I think she commented that her poodles were good looking.
Anyhow, just thought I'd offer the little info I had. I love my boy eli (half sisco lines). He is a very balanced dog and wonderful family companion to both people and pets. The same for fuzbutz boy rocky. He is a gentle giant and has a wonderful temperment. That's my eli's littermate bro like she said.

Glad to hear you found a breeder that seems right. I hope it all works out and christmas is just around the corner.
Yes I have met Karen , very nice . She breeds probably the best Parti standards around. At the show she had some dogs in the ring not sure which ones where hers ( need to look at show results) but all of them where handled by Margie Sulivan. She gave us tips for Enzo she seems to know the standard well because she was telling us how to make Enzo's face look longer. Enzo has a broader skull and we have been told this by Allan Chambers also.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input all! There's a question mark over the parti breeding now, and I am continuing to investigate other possibilities. I have talked to A LOT of people, going as far as Connecticut (Random Wind) and the Ottawa Valley (Subria). I have about 3 people I am currently talking to who I feel comfortable with, and hopefully should have a pup around Christmas or just after from one of them!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might contact these breeders:

In your area... don't know them
http://www.geocities.com/enchantmentminipoodles/

In CT very good reputation:
Songbird Poodles
http://home.earthlink.net/~songbirdpoodles/

Kandansk Poodles Alberta (sorry)
http://www.kandansk.ca/archive.htm
Thanks for your recos! Enchantment was actually one of the first breeders I contacted, but they're not planning a litter till next spring. Songbird is another, although they seemed to have more white and cream, so I talked to Random Wind who has some link with Songbird. And Kandansk is a little far (but has beautiful, beautiful dogs)!

The health testing is sooo important. All the breeders I am considering have bred or are breeding Optigen tested dogs and do CERFs and OFA recommended tests. It's a minefield, but I find the more people I talk to, the better educated I become. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks all! I'm currently on the waiting list with one breeder, but am still looking into others in case it doesn't work out. She was planning to breed two bitches with pups ready to go December/ January but unfortunately one developed a problem that could be fatal if not addressed and had to have an emergency spaying. As she said, breeding is not for the faint of heart!

It's a shame, she is a very low volume breeder who meets much of my criteria. She just happened to be breeding 2 of her 3 dogs right now after a long break in breeding. That really appealed to me as minis have such small litters and I would have twice the choice, but what can you do. At least the bitch is ok! Anyway, I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to get a pup for her, but it depends on how many she has as she's keeping one. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spent 2 hours talking to the possible breeder of my puppy last week. We had a great chat and she answered a lot of the questions I had. I'm now just waiting to see if puppies are actually on the way! She's palpating the dam at the earliest tomorrow, so hopefully we'll at least know if she's pregnant. Then it's just a case of waiting and seeing how many pups she has, and if there's one for me. I'm 3rd on her list (she's first and some people who have 2 other dogs of hers are second.) I'm getting impatient!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Cdnjennga I'm very happy for you, you are searching for long time. This time it is the puppy you were waiting for :clap:
You know it's funny, I think I finally found a breeder I like a lot, I'm also on the waiting list. The puppies should be born in beginning of October and she lives not even two hours from me, so I'm happy, but also very impatient :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts