Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking for a breeder of Standard Poodles in and around the Calgary Alberta area. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The only breeder I have contacted is Poodle Quest :) she seems nice and her poodles are beautiful. This was the first time I saw a standard poodle up close let alone touched one. I am concerned that she just has an example of the breed and not an exception. Does anyone have any experience with her or her dogs?

Two other breeders I have looked at are (I know they are not in the Calgary area but they seemed to have good websites) :
Paris Poodles-premium breeder of healthy standard poodle puppies!!
http://www.bijoupoodles.com/

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any "stay away from" and reasons why I would love that too (you can pm me if you do not want to post on here)

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Ditto what cbrand said!!

Strathglen Poodles is near Calgary, They have one of my red babies, but normally breed silvers, whites and blues. June is a show breeder. I believe they have a litter on the ground right now.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I took a look at Poodle Quest. All I can do is scratch my head.
Carole
I agree, Carole, but maybe McSandd would like to know why... I'm still new to learning as much about poodles as possible, but some of the things I noticed were the improper color points on the apricots (on every single one of them that I looked at!) and that there were lots and lots (and lots) of WORDS on every single page that didn't say much of importance. They also used the word "adopt" for someone wishing to purchase a puppy (I really only think the word adopt should be used for rescues and shelters - but that's me!)

There was reference to extensive (and expensive) health testing, but nothing specific about the tests and which tests have been conducted. I just kind of got an "ewwwy" feeling from surfing their site - nothing there that impressed me... (and the picture of the whelping "box" made me think of an oven for some reason :scared:) I'm sure there were many more things that the poodle experts on the forum could point out - but this is my first impression...

It's good that you're doing your research now, McSandd - take your time and learn all you can about responsible, reasonable breeding programs before you take the leap!! Good luck!

·
Registered
486 Posts
OK Plumcrazy, WTF does this mean-
"Pedigrees are examined so that at a minimum of fifty generations are placed between the Sire and Dam. "

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
OK Plumcrazy, WTF does this mean-
"Pedigrees are examined so that at a minimum of fifty generations are placed between the Sire and Dam. "
That they're breeding really, really old dogs (to really, really young ones???) :lol: :pound:

I think they're trying to say they don't line breed??? I guess after I read it again (and I did see that sentence the first time I went to the site...) it really doesn't make much sense, huh?? Do you remember in my first post on this thread where I said they used lots and lots (and lots) of words but there was really NOTHING said? :wacko:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Poodle Quest... wow..

I don't think I've ever seen such blather on a breeder's web site before. Really, it defies belief.

Good thing that they don't want to show their dogs because apparently Ancient Breeding techniques and all that research still didn't keep them from breeding a Brown to a Cream and getting Poodles with disqualifying pigment.

Frankly anyone who buys a Poodle from them gets what they deserve.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I sent you a bunch a links lol hope I did not over welm you. I wish you luck with finding the right breeder.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!!
I cannot believe how big of mistakes I was making when looking. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It feels like I am back to square one :doh: but with a better foundation to look.

Maybe I will take my parents' dog to the dog park and stalk spoo owners ;)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hey that's why this forum rocks! I still check w/ my peeps here anytime I find a breeder I think I like. I've learned so much on what to look for but it seems like they always bring a new perspective. I'm sure Roxy sent you some really good links.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey that's why this forum rocks! I still check w/ my peeps here anytime I find a breeder I think I like. I've learned so much on what to look for but it seems like they always bring a new perspective. I'm sure Roxy sent you some really good links.
Thanks! Roxy did and so did some others :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Larkspur poodles is fabulous to deal with- they have alitter just born or about to that i was looking into from their stud up on their site. gorgeous dogs- super nice people to deal with the bit i talked to them (and the owner of the bitch)

saransil- i haven't talked to them but looked at their website durin gmy search a couple months ago and they were on my list of 'talk toos'

kandask- i saw one of their poodles in february at a show- very nice stuff- nice to talk to- definatly a breeder i'd inquire into

look through the poodle club of canada POODLE CLUB OF CANADA
the national speciality is in calgary on july 15th- DEFINATLY go talk to breeders there- make a list to meet there talk to them before hand and get a chance to see their stock in person and see what they are like :)
National Specialty 2010

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is bumping, but I was really bothered by the comments on here. My one poodle I bought from Poodle Quest back in 2008, and I am quite satisfied. She's a red, with no "disqualifying pigment".

For one thing, I agree about the color's of the cremes and cafe's. They're not Apricots. But that's about the only thing I can find worth complaining about.
If anyone actually read the words in the site, they're not blithering. They're useful information, better than any vet site I come across.

So no one knows what fifty generations apart means? It means that the dog is not bred with any of its relatives for fifty generations or higher. Frankly, I wouldn't want to know my dog is bred with its grandpa.

So yeah, my two cents. I find it disturbing when people don't actually do some research or even talk to the breeder before they complain about them. So I guess I got what I deserved when I bought Destyn, right?

·
Registered
486 Posts
"So no one knows what fifty generations apart means? It means that the dog is not bred with any of its relatives for fifty generations or higher. Frankly, I wouldn't want to know my dog is bred with its grandpa."

OK. I'll bite. I will gaurantee that I can find the same dog twice within 50 generations of any poodle that poodle quest owns, or has bred together.
Want to take me up on that? Send in the pedigree of yours, or any of thier dogs.
Carole

·
Registered
10 Posts
"So no one knows what fifty generations apart means? It means that the dog is not bred with any of its relatives for fifty generations or higher. Frankly, I wouldn't want to know my dog is bred with its grandpa."

OK. I'll bite. I will gaurantee that I can find the same dog twice within 50 generations of any poodle that poodle quest owns, or has bred together.
Want to take me up on that? Send in the pedigree of yours, or any of thier dogs.
Carole
Eh, yeah - how would you like to prove your theory?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Easy. In addition to having the pedigree database on my pc, I can look the pedigree's up on PHR. I'll go a step futher, and say I will easily find 2 dogs mulitple times in a 10 generation pedigree- I sure don't need 50 generations to do it.
Carole

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can search pedigrees online with the CKC, but frankly I'm not about to send you the full pedigree, payed for mind you. So then, you have never heard of fifty generation breeding.
Not that anxious to prove it to you.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Endless Odyssey's Montana Rouge
In 3 minutes, I found Croix Prince Ryan at least 10 times in the 1st 10 generations.
I could go on and on, but there are many many more.
What this breeder could say, if she/he were interested in making sense...
"We try to outcross as much as possible in order to diversify our lines".
Not some crazy mumbo jumbo that is an impossibility.
It would be amazing for anyone to trace their dogs back 50 generations.
Highly unlikely to find any you can go further than 30-35 generations.
Carole

1 - 20 of 67 Posts