Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So no response to the adult poodle on Craigslist...

A breeder near me has a litter of puppies. Her website also states she has 5 adult females on premises. I'm feeling a little obsessed with getting to meet poodles and talk to poodle people, since I don't appear to be adopting one anytime soon.

Would it be ok to ask a breeder if I can just come look at her dogs, see her puppies and meet lots of poodles even if I'm not adopting for at least a year? I can disclose that I'm not in the puppy market until my kids are a little older, but I'm not 100% sure if this is the breeder I want to go with or another who is also local and has been recommended by a groomer's shop.

Is it better to wait to contact breeders until I'm in the "adopting right now" category?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm in your position right now. I won't be in the market for a dog until this time next year. I am starting my search for a breeder now. I've emailed a couple and let them know it will be at least a year until I'm ready to bring a dog home. My thought is I'll be able to pick a breeder and form a relationship with them so that when the time comes to bring my dog home they know me and what I'm looking for. It will also be nice to have a relationship so that after the puppy is here I can call with questions or concerns.

I would hope that a good breeder would want to talk to someone who takes finding the right breeder seriously. I have a phone conversation set up with a breeder tomorrow. I had emailed him and let him know that I was starting my search early and he suggested talking on the phone. I'm hoping once I get back to Georgia I'll be able to go meet them and their dogs and spend some time getting to know them and them getting to know me.

I'm curious to see what other people say on this topic!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
OH !!!!! ABSOLUTELY !!!!

It is a wonderful opportunity to meet the dogs (future Moms and Dads ) and see if you like the way dogs are kept, their temperament, look and how friendly the breeder is!!!

Most great breeders are really proud to show their dogs and love to meet and get to know new prospective buyers !!!! :)

There are some "grouchy" and "uptight" ones - but you do not want a puppy from them anyway LOL - I know I would not ;)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
As a breeder my answer is YES!!! I would be more than happy to have you come here and hang out with my pack to get to know what Poos (and Whippets) are all about. The better educated you are when you are ready, the better for the puppy you get. You can get brushing lessons, see how the breeder works with her dogs, so many things....just a really wise move on your part, and most breeders who have nothing to hide would welcome your eagerness. As a buyer, you should never go unannounced. They may have young pups on the premises, or you could arrive in the middle of feeding or exercise time. But, other than that...by all means!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts