Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are hoping to add a white Standard to our family in the next year or so and have started our research regarding breeders etc. Aside from the obvious, health clearances, seeing dogs in person to check temperament etc., is there anything we should keep an eye out for? I remember hearing many, many years ago that there is a difference between the show dog personality/temperament and that which is ideal for a companion dog. Is this true and if so what exactly does it mean? As much as I would like to get out and show, the degree of coat care and what appears to be elaborate clips etc. concerns me as it looks so difficult to maintain so I suspect we will be just looking for a pet.

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Hi Lucky

Yep that hair is high maintenace even for a house pet - UNLESS they are shaved down. (which is cute, my Suri short right now) I have 2 standards and 2 poms - I sware, I love my poms but our home is just in aww over how amazing the poodle is. I hope that you find the right breeder and get your white - they are so pretty!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have never heard that, but if it was true then i would want a "show dog personality"! :) They have to have the best temperaments to put up with the grooming, noise, stress, handling, etc of showing! Rock solid and calm.
I think there is a difference between a performance temperament and companion temperament though, and i would want a breeder to be able to match me with what i wanted/needed. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Show breeders routinely sell to pet homes, so you don't have to show just b/c you buy from them. I don't agree that the show/temperment isn't suited to home life. There are some show breeders that don't pay enough attention to temperment, but I think there are more that do. I also think many "pet breeders" care more about money than temperment. I've met several show dogs and retired show dogs that were delightful and cherished by their owners. One breeder I've visited had seven girls; I think half of them were retired show dogs. They all live in her house, sleep in her bed and were very sweet towards me. Another specials dog (finished his championship but still shows) belongs to a groomer, who takes him to the salon everyday. That would be risky if he had a poor temperment. He is so well behaved and adores his "mommy." Go to a dog show and talk w/ some breeders, then decide for yourself.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Well, there is such a thing as a "dog show attitude" and no, I do not think it is the best temperament for a pet , and especially NOT for the first time dog owner.

All pups in one litter will have some variation in the temperament and it is VERY important to make a good match with right home.

I, personally, would stay away from "show dog attitude" LOL

Show prospects have to be on the dominant side - they have to exude that over-confidence and self-entitlement !!! Because of that, they might NOT be suitable for families with small children , for example. Those dogs will have hard time becoming "subordinate" to a child !!!!

Now - there are some dogs that are not that arrogant and get Ch title anyway because they have fantastic confirmation and are trained to "look confident" !!!!!

I would say - buy a "middle of the road" puppy - one that looks great but also follows you around, shows interest in you, gives you a small lick (NOT MUCH EITHER) and would retrieve a toy to you.

Look at the litter and how they interact ! Do not take puppy that stays away and is aloof and always last to get to anything and does not carry tail up BUT also stay away from a puppy that is "on top " of everything and everybody and does not like to be held or handled - that is an Alpha dog (can be easily a female !!!!!) .

I wish you the best of luck :):):)

PS: You might Google "dog temperament testing" and learn a few tricks of how to choose the best puppy for you ; )))

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Good show dogs make the very best pets! A good show dog need nerves of steel. It needs to be confident, out-going and friendly. It needs to be trainable and it needs to tolerate strange dogs and people. As a bonus, a good show dog is a good physical representation of its breed.

What's not to like? :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
ammmmm... LOL Yeah - a perfect show dog should be something like that LOL

BUT, I met many that were not easy to be around or to live with- heck some were hard to SHOW lmao since they were so stubborn and overpowering :)

Some were extremely balanced and would be great "pets" also : ))) !

I am just explaining what people mean when they use the term "show temperament" - it could be a very well wrong "term" , but that is what they mean - a dog "with an attitude" ; ) and one that is on dominant and perky side.

Pet owners usually look for calm, medium energy and agreeable dogs that are not "in the face" all the time :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the information. Every bit helps.

Although we are not first time dog owners, I have never had a poodle before. My husband had two at home when I met him. I do, however, remember that one of them (who lived 16.5 years active and healthy until the end), was always "busy" and on the move. The other one had a normal activity level. Both were the kindest, sweetest boys temperament wise.

Yes, the poodle coat is something ;-) and we're prepared for the extra time it takes.... but wow, the clips they show in look like works of art. I can't imagine how to keep a coat that long inbetween shows.

Now I have heard that there are UKC shows that allow a "sporting clip" (no sure if that's what it's called - still doing research) but have never seen this type of show and don't know if it is recognized at all. Has anyone here shown in UKC? I'd be interested to know how, if at all, these shows/classes differ from the traditional conformation shows/classes?

I know the basics of evaluating a litter and the basic temperaments of the puppies but I am pretty sure that most breeders want to choose the puppy.... at least we are prepared for this. My thinking is that the breeder will probably know their puppies best.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Thank you for the information. Every bit helps.

Although we are not first time dog owners, I have never had a poodle before. My husband had two at home when I met him. I do, however, remember that one of them (who lived 16.5 years active and healthy until the end), was always "busy" and on the move. The other one had a normal activity level. Both were the kindest, sweetest boys temperament wise.

Yes, the poodle coat is something ;-) and we're prepared for the extra time it takes.... but wow, the clips they show in look like works of art. I can't imagine how to keep a coat that long inbetween shows.

Now I have heard that there are UKC shows that allow a "sporting clip" (no sure if that's what it's called - still doing research) but have never seen this type of show and don't know if it is recognized at all. Has anyone here shown in UKC? I'd be interested to know how, if at all, these shows/classes differ from the traditional conformation shows/classes?

I know the basics of evaluating a litter and the basic temperaments of the puppies but I am pretty sure that most breeders want to choose the puppy.... at least we are prepared for this. My thinking is that the breeder will probably know their puppies best.
:) Exactly, your right on track IMO. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts