Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about Silken poodles in Ontario in terms of the health, temperment etc. of their dogs? I am especially interested in their female Bindi.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Does anyone know about Silken poodles in Ontario in terms of the health, temperment etc. of their dogs? I am especially interested in their female Bindi.
I have some concerns here, particularly:

-Age of some of the breeding dogs
-Number of litters
-Lack of anything to prove the quality of the dogs
-The miniature poodle, Grady, being bred….
(There was actually a photo of Grady, side on shot, that showed his true conformation, it was terrible... he had bad feet, bad topline, no front... he is not breeding quality... but I see that Silken has posted a new photo of Grady as to hide is poor structure etc. IMO why would a breeder hide the quality of her dog being bred.. unless?)

You could certainly do a lot better finding another breeder :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
We have a 19 week old puppy from Silken. Our pup has a superb temperament. She is a calm, curious & playful puppy. She slept thru the night in 4 days & was housebroken in 3 weeks - -her few accidents were totally our fault. She is really smart & very friendly to people. She is well along in learning commands and very responsive to us.

Lori answered all our questions, and we asked a lot of questions. She still continues to answer any emails we send . She kept us up-to-date on the puppies once they were born & posted videos regularly. We told her what we were looking for in a dog (obedience, agility & therapy), & she matched our needs well. We couldn’t be any more satisfied with the dog we have.

Silken keeps the tails on her puppies (why we went to Canada to find a puppy), but takes off the dewclaws. We were pleased with our experience with Silken.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Responses to my Silken inquiries

I am "poodleseeker" who asked earlier about Silken Poodles of Ontario. I have to say that I have been overwhelmed by the supportive response that I have received from Silken's many fans. Several people have written to me saying that this is an ethical breeder of excellent companion, and sometimes working, dogs in an in-house setting. Others have sent photos and references. Lori of Silken has replied to my inquiries in a professional and caring manner. She clearly knows what she is doing and cares passionately about her dogs and their offspring. I would feel very confident buying a puppy from her.
Thank you to all of you that responded to my question. You have been very helpful.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am "poodleseeker" who asked earlier about Silken Poodles of Ontario. I have to say that I have been overwhelmed by the supportive response that I have received from Silken's many fans. Several people have written to me saying that this is an ethical breeder of excellent companion, and sometimes working, dogs in an in-house setting. Others have sent photos and references. Lori of Silken has replied to my inquiries in a professional and caring manner. She clearly knows what she is doing and cares passionately about her dogs and their offspring. I would feel very confident buying a puppy from her.
Thank you to all of you that responded to my question. You have been very helpful.
I am sure Lori is a lovely person, but the way she breeds her reds just makes me think that it is purely for colour and nothing else...

Did you see the conformation of Grady? He has nothing to contribute to a breeding program other than colour.
Lori breeds on average 4-5 litters a year, that all are sold as pets...
What is the need for more pet standard poodles ??? I am sure there are many in pounds that need new homes...

You could surely do a lot better somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
:captain: Yar, this smell fishy to anyone else? :pirate: Shiver me timbers!

(I looked through EVERY SINGLE emoticon... it was quite fun... thought I'd share!)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
because i'm lazy- here's what i posted on the last thread last month from Jak on silken
As you know i just got my puppy from Silken. I love Phantom poodles. I had on the whole crossed them off my list as a possibility. There is one breeder in the US (who bred my pups dad) who at the time i had on my 'not a bad breeder' list for phantoms. But no litters coming up...

I also was looking at a pup from one of the best kennels in canada. color would have been black or cream.

It took me a while to decide which i wanted. First off- if i felt Lori/Silken was a bad kennel i would have never even glanced at that litter a second time. Does Lori do everything i'd like her to? no. Do i put her in the 'bad' breeder list? no. She does do testing on her dogs. Though not always to the standard i would expect from a great breeder. Is she the same level of breeder as the other litter i was looking at? no.

However what i did feel is that
1- Silken breeds healthy dogs
2- Silken stands behind their dogs
3- Silken takes VERY good care of their dogs
4- Lori is an honest person who is great to deal with.
5- i felt i would be getting my dream color in a healthy dog with a good gaurentee and a lifetime of support from Lori.

i felt that she had good enough breeding practices for me to feel fine supporting her with my money for this dog. If she hadn't- i would not have gotten a puppy from Silken.

That said i do hope that Lori takes the jump from being a ok/good breeder towards more of a very good breeder. i would like to see her change a few things- and she knows that- ages of males used in breeding and OFA final's on joints.
Now that said- in the 3 weeks i've had Bella- i've been very happy with dealing with Lori- She was upfront on a minor (and i mean MINOR) issue in Bella's bite. Something that myself as a breeder and CKC show person wouldn't have noticed with out it being pointed out that came up in her vet check...

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would suggest using the search option and type in the breeder you want to get information on. It has been a topic mulitple times. :)

Just a friendly suggestion so there is not a replay of the same topic.

Good luck on your search

1 - 9 of 9 Posts