Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few breeders in mind for my future pup, but I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for breeders in Ontario, Canada.

I'm not looking to add a pup to my home for a few more years (3-5), but I like to be prepared and I also want to research the lines for any instances of epilepsy, do NOT want to deal with that again.

Any breeder suggestions would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I have a few breeders in mind for my future pup, but I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for breeders in Ontario, Canada.

I'm not looking to add a pup to my home for a few more years (3-5), but I like to be prepared and I also want to research the lines for any instances of epilepsy, do NOT want to deal with that again.

Any breeder suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Depends what you are looking for ? standard , mini, toy ? color ? show, pet ?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends what you are looking for ? standard , mini, toy ? color ? show, pet ?
hahah I knew I forgot something!

Standard, preferably black or white. I do not want to show my dog, but I do want a conformationally sound spoo (which shouldn't be a problem going through a reputable breeder). I would like to earn a CGC with my future spoo, and volunteer as a therapy dog. I don't know if there are "show lines" and "work lines" with Standards like there are for Dobermans for example, but I would like to avoid working lines as I do not plan on doing agility or any dog sports.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
hahah I knew I forgot something!

Standard, preferably black or white. I do not want to show my dog, but I do want a conformationally sound spoo (which shouldn't be a problem going through a reputable breeder). I would like to earn a CGC with my future spoo, and volunteer as a therapy dog. I don't know if there are "show lines" and "work lines" with Standards like there are for Dobermans for example, but I would like to avoid working lines as I do not plan on doing agility or any dog sports.
Well that I know of there is not working lines persa for poodles. Some people say they have hunting poodles but IMO there really is not difference poodles like to please and I am sure a show poodle will hunt if taught to ( which I have seen many times on several breeder pages)

anyways

try here

http://www.poodleclubcanada.com/

I love Tango poodles dogs so much I would get one from them if I had the money lol
http://www.tangopoodles.com/welcome.htm

I also the way Vetset dogs look
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/vetset/nextpage.html

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Roxy.

Tango poodles just had a litter with Classique poodles, which is one of the breeders I'm really interested in. Tango and Vetset have great looking dogs, just what I'm looking for. Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Thanks Roxy.

Tango poodles just had a litter with Classique poodles, which is one of the breeders I'm really interested in. Tango and Vetset have great looking dogs, just what I'm looking for. Thanks so much for your help!
That is awesome I hope ypu can get a tango poodle then. her dogs are really nice I love solomon he won award of merit at westminster I believe this year

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey Locket! I got my tiny toy, Snoops from Cournoyeas Poodles. They are located in Northern Ontario, near Alliston. It was worth the drive! Snoops has an amazing disposition, great attitude and characteristics, and he is a handsome devil! I believe the breeder also works with standards so check out their website, drop them a line... :) goodluck!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oh too bad... :( I was almost certain she worked with standards as well.
It may be worth dropping her a line for a recommendation? I'm sure she must know of other reputable breeders in Ontario :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have seen some ads for Fads fancy but he has a lot of mismarks in his lines as I called looking for a parti and he says NO but I have lots with white toes and chests.
He kept pushing a cafe oh lait one for 1500 that had white feet. um not looking for that thanks and even called me back weeks later. Didn't like that when I had said not what looking for. I never gave my number he kept it of of call display.
Funny thing came through my drive through one day I happened to ask what was in the crates he says puppys and tried to sell me one through wndow. NOT.
I had NO idea who he was when he came through just asked what in crates.

I think I have heard good things about Bijou and great things about Cantope. Was a day late on a retired silver male I really wanted from them.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I would not deal with Bijou.
Yeah, I wasn't all that impressed with Bijou. Cantoupe seemed to have 3 litters all due this summer! That seems like a bit too many.
I'm pretty much only interested in breeders who title their dogs (preferably in conformation, but obedience, hunting, etc. too), do extensive health testing (just hips is not enough), breeds for temperament, breeds to better the breed, have been involved with the breed for a while, have a puppy contract, and non-breeding contract (unless arranged otherwise). There are a few other things, but I can't think of them at the moment. I know that seems like tough criteria for essentially "just a pet" poodle, but I really want a healthy, sound puppy. While it can't be 100% guaranteed that my pup will live a long, healthy life, getting a pup from strong, well-bred lines will increase the guarantee.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't all that impressed with Bijou. Cantoupe seemed to have 3 litters all due this summer! That seems like a bit too many.
I'm pretty much only interested in breeders who title their dogs (preferably in conformation, but obedience, hunting, etc. too), do extensive health testing (just hips is not enough), breeds for temperament, breeds to better the breed, have been involved with the breed for a while, have a puppy contract, and non-breeding contract (unless arranged otherwise). There are a few other things, but I can't think of them at the moment. I know that seems like tough criteria for essentially "just a pet" poodle, but I really want a healthy, sound puppy. While it can't be 100% guaranteed that my pup will live a long, healthy life, getting a pup from strong, well-bred lines will increase the guarantee.
Trust me that is not too much to ask I agree with you. There are many breeders that meet what you are looking for. Just go to a local dog show and start talking to people email or call the canada poodle club. the club will have a list of breeders who are involved with the breed.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I dealt with Bijou and got a beautiful red girl to show, Bindi. We have had a wonderful experience with her and has been very helpful whenever I email her. She really cares about the breed and has done extensive research. I was very impressed with her extensive knowledge in the Reds and Browns.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't deal with Bijou Poodles !!

Yeah I would not deal with Bijou either.

Some Points to know about them:
-They have been breeding Poodles since 1989 !
-They do all the conclusive health testing
-DNA health and "color" test their dogs
-Tell you upfront a fair evaluation of their pups (good and bad points ie here is ONE EXAMPLE of many points... "expect that they will fade at some point, to some degree")
-They Answer questions 24/7
-Offer extensive Puppy package and support
-Microchip Implant ID their pups
-Have over 3-5 generation PICTURE pedigrees of their litters (hard to find a breeder that does that kind of research just ask a breeder for one..)
-Offers to pay for spay and neuter a $300.00 savings to me
-Show their dogs to UKC championships (UKC often uses AKC or CKC judges)
-They have obedience titled their poodles, CGC tested them.
ARe selective on who they sell to and if they don't think you
are appropriate OR they don't feel they have a puppy that will help you out or be what you are looking for they will tell you and not try to convince you to buy from them.
-They have taken back 2 Poodle pups of theirs because the owners lost their jobs (they were advertised on their web page).
-Do biosensor with their pups
-Offer you a growth chart to watch your puppy's mom grow weekly and explain to you what is going on.
-After the pups are born they send you weekly photos and AND video and again explain to you weekly what they are doing with your puppy.

NEGATIVES:
-They don't sell breeding rights to "just anyone with the money to buy them" and they want to know a ton about your breeding plans and your goals, and I know that is what peeves a lot of people off.. most people would like the option..

-They don't have "open house" every day to everyone wishing to visit which is disappointing to people who are wishing to "shop around". (can you imagine how many people and how many days that would take though??)

-You may have to wait up to a year for a puppy

FACTS:

I dont' think they are better or worse than any other breeder by any means...but lets be honest here. What are we all looking for ?
Health, Temperament, Color.

I got that with my Bijou Poodle and I know that if I have any questions or problems I can get an answer or solution within a few hours. I'm not sure what anyone else could want ?

If you have a negative to say about ANY kennel... back it up with facts not just statements, that don't hold you accountable for your "opinion".

According to this message board there are no good breeders/kennels and that is just sad to read all the negativity with no facts...just a lot people competing and slamming each other.

There are a handful of red breeders in Canada and as far as I can tell they have healthy, happy beautiful pups that anyone would be proud to own.

Keep up the good work breeders, some of us appreciate your hard work and dedication.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yeah I would not deal with Bijou either.

Some Points to know about them:
-They have been breeding Poodles since 1989 !
-They do all the conclusive health testing
-DNA health and "color" test their dogs
-Tell you upfront a fair evaluation of their pups (good and bad points ie here is ONE EXAMPLE of many points... "expect that they will fade at some point, to some degree")
-They Answer questions 24/7
-Offer extensive Puppy package and support
-Microchip Implant ID their pups
-Have over 3-5 generation PICTURE pedigrees of their litters (hard to find a breeder that does that kind of research just ask a breeder for one..)
-Offers to pay for spay and neuter a $300.00 savings to me
-Show their dogs to UKC championships (UKC often uses AKC or CKC judges)
-They have obedience titled their poodles, CGC tested them.
ARe selective on who they sell to and if they don't think you
are appropriate OR they don't feel they have a puppy that will help you out or be what you are looking for they will tell you and not try to convince you to buy from them.
-They have taken back 2 Poodle pups of theirs because the owners lost their jobs (they were advertised on their web page).
-Do biosensor with their pups
-Offer you a growth chart to watch your puppy's mom grow weekly and explain to you what is going on.
-After the pups are born they send you weekly photos and AND video and again explain to you weekly what they are doing with your puppy.

NEGATIVES:
-They don't sell breeding rights to "just anyone with the money to buy them" and they want to know a ton about your breeding plans and your goals, and I know that is what peeves a lot of people off.. most people would like the option..

-They don't have "open house" every day to everyone wishing to visit which is disappointing to people who are wishing to "shop around". (can you imagine how many people and how many days that would take though??)

-You may have to wait up to a year for a puppy

FACTS:

I dont' think they are better or worse than any other breeder by any means...but lets be honest here. What are we all looking for ?
Health, Temperament, Color.

I got that with my Bijou Poodle and I know that if I have any questions or problems I can get an answer or solution within a few hours. I'm not sure what anyone else could want ?

If you have a negative to say about ANY kennel... back it up with facts not just statements, that don't hold you accountable for your "opinion".

According to this message board there are no good breeders/kennels and that is just sad to read all the negativity with no facts...just a lot people competing and slamming each other.

There are a handful of red breeders in Canada and as far as I can tell they have healthy, happy beautiful pups that anyone would be proud to own.

Keep up the good work breeders, some of us appreciate your hard work and dedication.
Thanks for your Opinion

:quiet: ;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
toomoxy, I would have a different opinion on your negatives
"-They don't sell breeding rights to "just anyone with the money to buy them" and they want to know a ton about your breeding plans and your goals, and I know that is what peeves a lot of people off.. most people would like the option.." I do the same thing with my puppies that I sell. There are alot of brokers, designer breeders and puppy mills just wanting to take advantage of getting breeding dogs. When you work for years to ensure your quality line is not misused and breed to just any dog out there. Good breeders do not accept a "cash in hand" attitude and sell their puppies off to the first person who comes along, which is why they SHOULD ask you to book your puppy and get to know you. This also enables the breeder to know what sort of temperament you need in a puppy for your personal situation. As a breeder, I give a darn about each family and want to know that each special puppy is in the hands that will love them and not exploit them as chattel. I would rather sell to a pet family rather then another breeder whom may not have the time to give that puppy the individual love they so deserve in their short lives.

"-They don't have "open house" every day to everyone wishing to visit which is disappointing to people who are wishing to "shop around". (can you imagine how many people and how many days that would take though??)" DO NOT expect a good breeder to allow you to go to their home and "see all their dogs" when they have a pregnant female! A good breeder should be concerned about the security and feelings of the pregnant female more then anything! Good Breeders CANNOT allow people in to see their puppies until they are covered for Parvo Virus - around 7 weeks of age. Parvo can be carried on shoes, clothing or hands and no good breeder would allow any contact with their litter until they have had their first shots. Have you ever seen or heard from breeders that litters were wiped out because of Parvo? I have and is devastating. As a breeder, I don't allow people to just show up. Heck I got to go to work too. Also, they use hand wash and shoe covers when coming into my home and I definitely don't allow their pets to come in with them to pick a puppy.

"-You may have to wait up to a year for a puppy" The wait is because there is so many people requesting to buy. Have you ever thought how many emails a breeder in business that long gets a day? They got jobs too as well as taking care of their pets, litters, vet, showing, answering emails, transporting and arranging shipping. Testing on Breeding stock. Their is alot of work and alot of people out there with internet access from all over the world wanting a puppy. Remember: All good things come to those who wait.

And for Roxy25; All colors, and I mean all colors to include whites and blacks fade/change with age and between puppy coat to the adult coat. Some even darken. Elements like sun exposure, dirt, grasses, and different water types also have an effect on coat color. This is a good link about the coat; http://publications.royalcanin.com/renvoie.asp?type=1&cid=135867&id=102507&com=4&animal=0&lang=2&session=791780
Also the "Standard: over 15 inches tall at the shoulder," does not exclude a poodle that stands at 28". They are still able to show just like any other poodle, they just happen to be bigger. I have a 72 Lb Black Male that stands that tall and trust me he gets the looks from people and questions from people even more then the Red.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
toomoxy, I would have a different opinion on your negatives
"-They don't sell breeding rights to "just anyone with the money to buy them" and they want to know a ton about your breeding plans and your goals, and I know that is what peeves a lot of people off.. most people would like the option.." I do the same thing with my puppies that I sell. There are alot of brokers, designer breeders and puppy mills just wanting to take advantage of getting breeding dogs. When you work for years to ensure your quality line is not misused and breed to just any dog out there. Good breeders do not accept a "cash in hand" attitude and sell their puppies off to the first person who comes along, which is why they SHOULD ask you to book your puppy and get to know you. This also enables the breeder to know what sort of temperament you need in a puppy for your personal situation. As a breeder, I give a darn about each family and want to know that each special puppy is in the hands that will love them and not exploit them as chattel. I would rather sell to a pet family rather then another breeder whom may not have the time to give that puppy the individual love they so deserve in their short lives.

"-They don't have "open house" every day to everyone wishing to visit which is disappointing to people who are wishing to "shop around". (can you imagine how many people and how many days that would take though??)" DO NOT expect a good breeder to allow you to go to their home and "see all their dogs" when they have a pregnant female! A good breeder should be concerned about the security and feelings of the pregnant female more then anything! Good Breeders CANNOT allow people in to see their puppies until they are covered for Parvo Virus - around 7 weeks of age. Parvo can be carried on shoes, clothing or hands and no good breeder would allow any contact with their litter until they have had their first shots. Have you ever seen or heard from breeders that litters were wiped out because of Parvo? I have and is devastating. As a breeder, I don't allow people to just show up. Heck I got to go to work too. Also, they use hand wash and shoe covers when coming into my home and I definitely don't allow their pets to come in with them to pick a puppy.

"-You may have to wait up to a year for a puppy" The wait is because there is so many people requesting to buy. Have you ever thought how many emails a breeder in business that long gets a day? They got jobs too as well as taking care of their pets, litters, vet, showing, answering emails, transporting and arranging shipping. Testing on Breeding stock. Their is alot of work and alot of people out there with internet access from all over the world wanting a puppy. Remember: All good things come to those who wait.

And for Roxy25; All colors, and I mean all colors to include whites and blacks fade/change with age and between puppy coat to the adult coat. Some even darken. Elements like sun exposure, dirt, grasses, and different water types also have an effect on coat color. This is a good link about the coat; http://publications.royalcanin.com/renvoie.asp?type=1&cid=135867&id=102507&com=4&animal=0&lang=2&session=791780
Also the "Standard: over 15 inches tall at the shoulder," does not exclude a poodle that stands at 28". They are still able to show just like any other poodle, they just happen to be bigger. I have a 72 Lb Black Male that stands that tall and trust me he gets the looks from people and questions from people even more then the Red.
Yes I am aware that all poodle fade with age thanks for the link though. I never said blacks or white do not fade ?!! There is one thing to say they fade to a degree and then seeing a dog totally faded to more than 5 shades.

The standard does not say 28 inches are not allowed as you stated but people are not breeding huge dogs , remember these dogs where bred to retriever waterfowl , Huge big dogs are not going to be as agile as a normal sized dog. reason why they have different height in agility it would be unfair to make a great dane compete against a jack russell. At AKC shows the average height for a show male is about 25 inches. If you plan to show 28" dog will be hard to finish in AKC same with if you had a 15" stud dog.
If you noticed in the sporting group most breeds are under 28" again there is probably a reason for this. I still see this breed as a working breed even tho they are placed in non sporting. Even though the door is open to 15" and above does not mean we need to start breeding 28-35" poodles now does it ?

This is my opinion my sister and I got more familiar with the breed standard and watched poodles in the show ring and Bijou just does not have what we where looking for to place or win in AKC. I also have heard bad things about this breeder from several people. I am glad you had a good experience with Bijou , you found what you where looking for and I can not argue with that.

It does not even matter what i say anyways Locket is not looking for a red poodle so bijou is not the breeder for them lol

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't want to start an argument. I'm glad toomoxy and thestars have had wonderful experiences with Bijou. They just aren't what I'm looking for. Don't be offended, don't take it personally. The most important thing is that YOU are happy with your dogs, and that your dogs are healthy and happy.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts