Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to say upfront that I realize my request is a big order, but I'm coming off a bad experience with my last breeder and am hoping to not repeat the mistake.
I'm looking for a Standard Poodle breeder who does conformation (to preserve the breed standard) and also has a history of producing dogs that have the drive and athleticism to do well in agility. I'd like at least some of the dogs they've produced to have agility titles and be able to contact owners of those dogs. Must do all the usual and available health testing and clearances, and use newer technology to determine genetic diversity when breeding. I'd like a breeder with a health guarantee that won't leave me holding the proverbial bag in the event the dog they've sold me presents with a disease or condition that not only affects the quality of life of that dog, but renders it unable to do what I've purchased it for. (Note: I realize a breeder can't guarantee success. I'm talking about a physical disease or deformity.) I'd like to limit my search to east of the Mississippi. I'm not picky about sex or color, but would prefer a smaller sized Standard. I'm not in a hurry and would prefer a breeding in the summer to fall of 2020.
I told you it was a big order! If you have a suggestion for me, please post. Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
23,184 Posts
I understand your reasons for your criteria. I am all the way on the east coast so my suggestions are mostly really east coast. Both breeders show in conformation and don't generally produce giants. They are both very experienced. In addition to conformation, both breeders either themselves show in obedience and have produced dogs working in other venues as well. I know dogs from one and have a dog from the other. The first is Scheherazade Poodles in New Jersey. The breeder's name is Linda Hamilton and she mostly produces whites. I know a couple of obedience judges who have dogs from Linda. My boy Javelin is from Delana and Mark Severs, Madela Poodles. They breed blacks, silvers and whites. Their foundation dogs are Ale Kai dogs. Javelin is 24" at the withers and weighs just at or just under 50 pounds. I am taking my time with him, but he is shaping up to be a wonderful obedience dog and I suspect would love and excel at agility, except I can't run with him.

Even if neither of those suggestions were to work out for you directly perhaps Linda or Delana would be able to direct you towards someone a bit more midwestern-ish.

Reactions: Deb

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
You should look at Jacknic in Michigan. Kathy Esio-King titles her dogs in confirmation and a multitude of performance venues. My daughter and I have litter mates that we got for service dog work. Both of our dogs are successful at their jobs, but they would not be happy being couch potatoes. The sire of our litter has multiple titles and is now fifteen years old. The dam is only 22 inches and is also multi-titled. Kathy is great to work with, socializes her pups well, and will be quite honest with you if she thinks a particular litter will/will not meet your needs.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts