Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am talking to a breeder for potentially adopting from her litter when ready and she sent me her contract. The contract is mainly ok but just a couple things I was not sure I wanted to agree to and wanted to see if this was pretty normal:
  1. Micro chipping - she does it and it will have her contact. She says it is to ensure she always knows where her pups will be and not land up in shelters etc. That is totally understandable but what about our privacy? Will she always be able to track where the dog is, i.e., we are as a family? Shouldn't the micro chip be something we manage and have our contact? How does this work?
  2. The contract prohibits us from feeding certain brands of food or using certain system of pet care like Petsmart - is that something that can be dictated in a contract? I can understand if it was a recommendation and I don't mind listening to that guidance but mandating that as part of contract seems extreme?
  3. Lastly her contract prohibits me mentioning anything in social media about her and if I do she I will be responsible for legal costs on actions she may take- I mean should I even bother? Or is that also normal?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would look for a different breeder. I think it's weird she wouldn't want to be mentioned as the breeder. More so it's your puppy and she shouldn't be dictating where you can go for care or what brand of food your dog eats or where care is received. However, she probably would never know if you did go to a petsmart or what brand of food pup will be eating. microchips, if she's not willing to give you the number so you can change the info strictly to you, I would definitely not proceed. Mainly bc if the pup does get lost then the shelter will call her and then it's up to her to call you. There's too many red flags for me that I wouldn't agree to with this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just curious, does it say what her actions are if you violate the contract?
Nothing major other than the contract is void from a health guarantee perspective if I feed the dog stuff she does not want or take the dog to PetSmart, she can take possession of puppy in case of cruelty identified and that she can take legal action for me writing anything negative on her on social media.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree move on.
In this country it’s the law for your dog to be chipped in the owners name.
Fair enough agreeing to return the pup if you can no longer care for him/her but that is just silly!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am talking to a breeder for potentially adopting from her litter when ready and she sent me her contract. The contract is mainly ok but just a couple things I was not sure I wanted to agree to and wanted to see if this was pretty normal:
  1. Micro chipping - she does it and it will have her contact. She says it is to ensure she always knows where her pups will be and not land up in shelters etc. That is totally understandable but what about our privacy? Will she always be able to track where the dog is, i.e., we are as a family? Shouldn't the micro chip be something we manage and have our contact? How does this work?
  2. The contract prohibits us from feeding certain brands of food or using certain system of pet care like Petsmart - is that something that can be dictated in a contract? I can understand if it was a recommendation and I don't mind listening to that guidance but mandating that as part of contract seems extreme?
  3. Lastly her contract prohibits me mentioning anything in social media about her and if I do she I will be responsible for legal costs on actions she may take- I mean should I even bother? Or is that also normal?
I would not get a puppy from this person. The microchip should always be registered to the current owner since its purpose is to return a lost dog.
It's beyond reason for a contract to specify food or pet care. Certainly the breeder should recommend an appropriate diet and discuss finding a good groomer, but I agree that this was extreme.
I have never, ever heard of anyone putting anything in a contract about social media. Sounds to me as if she is worried about her reputation!

Look for a better breeder - you'll be glad you did! If you need help finding someone reputable, just post your location on this forum and members will provide recommendations.

·
Registered
474 Posts
to me it makes it sound as if she's going to use any excuse to blame the buyers if a health issue comes up to avoid following through on the health guarantee. the most concerning one to me is the microchip and whether or not she gives the company name and number over to you. with these extreme measures i feel like if the dog did get lost she wouldn't bother calling you and try keeping or reselling your pet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m new here, but since our puppy just came home recently, I happen to have our contract right on the kitchen table. Our multi-page contract has many provisions, but nothing like what you describe. If what you’re reading makes you uncomfortable (and I can see why it would), you should be able to find a breeder who doesn’t insist on those problematic provisions.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I’m new here, but since our puppy just came home recently, I happen to have our contract right on the kitchen table. Our multi-page contract has many provisions, but nothing like what you describe. If what you’re reading makes you uncomfortable (and I can see why it would), you should be able to find a breeder who doesn’t insist on those problematic provisions.
make a thread, ❤ we need puppy pics!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,498 Posts
Interesting.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with the microchip, assuming everything else is OK with the breeder. I've never had anyone scan Pogo's chip. Pogo's breeder once had a dog get caught up in an icky divorce. The dog ended up with the angrier, less responsible spouse. The dog, while on vacation, ran off into the woods. Rather than staying to look, the vacationers just went home and abandoned the dog. Luckily the dog ended up in a shelter, which scanned the chip and contacted the breeder.

Galen's contract has similar requirements regarding food. However, I merely void the health guarantee if I don't follow them. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know if any additional penalty is enforceable, but it seems unlikely.

The social media clause is a new one to me. I wouldn't be comfortable with it. I certainly understand why a breeder might want such a clause. This forum has had some really nasty battles and character assassination. I've seen similar trash-fests on other forums, Facebook, and Twitter. Breeders are not Hollywood celebrities or British royalty. They didn't sign up to be public figures. They are running a low margin business. They typically don't have the resources to engage reputation repair consultants.

At the same time, social media is here to stay. People need to deal with it. If someone libels me, I can sue for damages with or without an explicit contract saying I can do so. Therefore, I think this contract is unnecessarily hostile and weird. It reminds me of the kind of gag clause corporations use to deal with #MeToo issues and other misbehavior. I want a friendly relationship with my breeder, and this clause doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with the microchip, assuming everything else is OK with the breeder. I've never had anyone scan Pogo's chip. Pogo's breeder once had a dog get caught up in an icky divorce. The dog ended up with the angrier, less responsible spouse. The dog, while on vacation, ran off into the woods. Rather than staying to look, the vacationers just went home and abandoned the dog. Luckily the dog ended up in a shelter, which scanned the chip and contacted the breeder.

Galen's contract has similar requirements regarding food. However, I merely void the health guarantee if I don't follow them. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know if any additional penalty is enforceable, but it seems unlikely.

The social media clause is a new one to me. I wouldn't be comfortable with it. I certainly understand why a breeder might want such a clause. This forum has had some really nasty battles and character assassination. I've seen similar trash-fests on other forums, Facebook, and Twitter. Breeders are not Hollywood celebrities or British royalty. They didn't sign up to be public figures. They are running a low margin business. They typically don't have the resources to engage reputation repair consultants.

At the same time, social media is here to stay. People need to deal with it. If someone libels me, I can sue for damages with or without an explicit contract saying I can do so. Therefore, I think this contract is unnecessarily hostile and weird. It reminds me of the kind of gag clause corporations use to deal with #MeToo issues and other misbehavior. I want a friendly relationship with my breeder, and this clause doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.
Thank you - I re-read the contract and she is willing to provide the microchip data and I misread it. It was in her conversations with me she mentioned she rather have tracking on the dog because she would hate for her pups to end of in the wrong place and would always take them back. I think she is open to this.
The only food she has an issue with is blue buffalo (no idea yet why) and to be clear she does not want me to go to Petsmart for the initial visit because she thinks they are more interested in money making than real care for the puppy. I think that's not a big deal and I would not anyways.
On social media the words say that we agree 'to not demean or derogate each other on social media' - I get it but I am not sure I want to give up my freedom on warning others if she turns out to be someone horrible. Now of course I am doing my due diligence and don't think she is a bad breeder and she does not actively market her puppies like other breeders do (nothing wrong in either). She mostly sells her pups through word of mouth - that's how I found her. No website either. I just don't know if I want to give up a wonderful pup (health tested parents) for this...I am torn.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to me it makes it sound as if she's going to use any excuse to blame the buyers if a health issue comes up to avoid following through on the health guarantee. the most concerning one to me is the microchip and whether or not she gives the company name and number over to you. with these extreme measures i feel like if the dog did get lost she wouldn't bother calling you and try keeping or reselling your pet.
I agree it has a lot of provision protecting her. Which I get but it seems overkill.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi there,
My dog's breeder contract had some weird stuff in it. She was vehemently opposed to certain medications and vaccinations and her 'warranty' was immediately void should our vet prescribe them. Our vet nixed that one right quick. The pup had some medical issues right out of the gate and the vet had some pretty scornful things to say about the holistic herbal quackery the breeder recommended for a serious parasitic issue. I sent the vet's caustic opinion to the breeder and she backpedalled with lightning speed. Next was the bordetella vaccination. No puppy classes/groomer/dog daycare in my area would accept the pup without this vaccination certificate . Again, the breeder swiftly retracted her demand we not get it. The entire raw food schtick was just as dumb. My mother in law was having radiation treatment (fragile immune system). And our daughter operates a licensed daycare. Both situations specifically forbid contact with dogs who might be carrying salmonella due to a raw food diet. Since we live/travel in our RV a lot of the time, we would be barred from ever seeing our Mom or our grandson if we fed that diet. As our Standard is now nearly 30" at the shoulder and 85 pounds of rock solid muscle, I think the dry kibble our vet recommended has worked out just fine. Our vet looked at the contract and said it is totally unenforceable and to just ignore it.

As far as the microchipping, our contact info is registered with a third party agency that administers it, and we are comfortable with updating this. Don't understand why your breeder is the contact. I presume you paid for your dog ....does,t this mean it belongs to you?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi there,
My dog's breeder contract had some weird stuff in it. She was vehemently opposed to certain medications and vaccinations and her 'warranty' was immediately void should our vet prescribe them. Our vet nixed that one right quick. The pup had some medical issues right out of the gate and the vet had some pretty scornful things to say about the holistic herbal quackery the breeder recommended for a serious parasitic issue. I sent the vet's caustic opinion to the breeder and she backpedalled with lightning speed. Next was the bordetella vaccination. No puppy classes/groomer/dog daycare in my area would accept the pup without this vaccination certificate . Again, the breeder swiftly retracted her demand we not get it. The entire raw food schtick was just as dumb. My mother in law was having radiation treatment (fragile immune system). And our daughter operates a licensed daycare. Both situations specifically forbid contact with dogs who might be carrying salmonella due to a raw food diet. Since we live/travel in our RV a lot of the time, we would be barred from ever seeing our Mom or our grandson if we fed that diet. As our Standard is now nearly 30" at the shoulder and 85 pounds of rock solid muscle, I think the dry kibble our vet recommended has worked out just fine. Our vet looked at the contract and said it is totally unenforceable and to just ignore it.

As far as the microchipping, our contact info is registered with a third party agency that administers it, and we are comfortable with updating this. Don't understand why your breeder is the contact. I presume you paid for your dog ....does,t this mean it belongs to you?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
She is fine transferring the micro chipping. I misunderstood that one - it was mostly that we have to pay another 25 bucks to transfer the chip to our name as she initially chips them with her contact and many people just don't change it. Her food and vaccination issues are not that bad. She does have very strong recommendations on vaccinations but no enforcement. She only does not want us to feed blue buffalo as she thinks there are too many cases going on with that brand - which is fine because she is no endorsing a specific other brand either. Still weird to enforce it I think. I have generally been ok with the contract but have put my foot down on this social media thing- that just seems excessive. I feel like I will walk on eggshells every time I say something about the dog on the internet. Or god forbid if the dog got sick, I wont be able to discuss the breeder or issues because it might disparage her.

·
Registered
474 Posts
the social media one wouldn't bother me, it sounds like she's ok with you sharing as long as it's not bad. I can understand that, mainly bc a lot of people trash breeders. There's always so many opinions when it comes down to breeders.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I can understand the blue buffalo. in 2018 they settled the largest dog food settlement, $32 million and the food contained toxic amounts of lead. As someone who has lost a dog to a contaminated food source I think it's pretty nice she's going above and beyond to protect the litters and owners from the potential loss. Taste of the wild was the culprit for us. after the explanations of her decisions I would feel safe buying a pet from her.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I also heard a horror story about a poodle that ended up at a rescue when the owner died. The family didn’t want the dog and didn’t contact the breeder. Eventually the rescue did the right thing and turned the dog over to the breeder (can’t remember how they found out).

My contract recommended, but didn’t require a certain food. Basically strongly suggested a high quality food. I’m looking at a breeder now who requires raw feeding. Some breeders require Jean Dodd’s low vaccine protocol.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My contract included a microchip with the breeders info on it. I consider the microchip a last line of defence- I have a tag with my number on her collar, and had no issue with the microchip.
The food and no social media clause would not be something I would probably agree to. Especially the social media clause. If my dog developed a genetic disease and posted it here or on Facebook, would that violate the contract? Nope, would not agree.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
She backed out when I questioned her the terms of the contract. She said she thinks this kind of questioning is a sign I would be problematic and she decided to go with someone else. This is after I agreed to most of her terms like not feeding the dog certain things, not going to Petsmart etc. I only argued the social media one and that too I agreed that I would not write anything negative unless I had evidence of animal cruelty or something that serious with evidence.

I don’t know but this felt very hurtful and heart breaking as I showed my son a pic of the pup. Am I not allowed to question breeders on their contracts and just agree? And the only issue I had and that too was not contractual but more so verbal agreement was that I did not want to have to bear shipping costs If the puppy landed with a genetic issue upon the first year for which she told me she provides health guarantee but her state does not really mandate it so it’s not a true warranty. All I told her was that shipping the pup and bearing the costs for a life long genetic issue is too much and there should be some compromise. She agreed to it in conversation that if something really bad came up she would refund the money. Then in two minutes texted back that she decided to go with someone else. I feel sad about losing this puppy now. But maybe it’s for the best. I’m really disheartened by this process as it’s been months and we just cannot find the right breeder. I think maybe we just wait a year and try again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts