Poodle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good girl Peggy!

The most memorable breakthrough of Zeke’s was when he learned to jump up on furniture. Not much of a breakthrough, right?

He couldn’t jump up on anything to save his life. He saw the other dog do it many times a day, but just couldn’t get it. He’d get in front of the couch, jump straight up in the air and then try to get himself on the couch. The result was, that he’d bang his chest against the edge of the cushions and fall back down. (I laughed at him so hard! ). Finally, at 11 1/2 months old, he jumped on my chair like he’d been doing it his whole life. It just finally clicked for him how to do it. He was so silly and jumping on and off everything all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh I love that!! And I totally know what you mean. Watching them master those seemingly simple skills that will eventually be such a mundane part of life is really so very special.

Zeke's efforts sound absolutely (hilariously) adorable.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Noelle's biggest breakthrough moment was when she nailed her first low blood sugar alert. It was Super Bowl Sunday, 2017. We were in a crowded grocery store. About a dozen different languages were filling our ears. I was by the freezer case, looking for a bag of green beans. Kids were running around. People everywhere. A lady was giving away samples of pizza. Noelle filtered all of that out--voices, and pizza smells, and groceries, and crushed Doritos on the floor, and did her job. She tagged my knee with her paw. You're low, Mom. I smells it.

And she was right!

Just thinking about that moment makes me proud all over again.

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Noelle's biggest breakthrough moment was when she nailed her first low blood sugar alert. It was Super Bowl Sunday, 2017. We were in a crowded grocery store. About a dozen different languages were filling our ears. I was by the freezer case, looking for a bag of green beans. Kids were running around. People everywhere. A lady was giving away samples of pizza. Noelle filtered all of that out--voices, and pizza smells, and groceries, and crushed Doritos on the floor, and did her job. She tagged my knee with her paw. You're low, Mom. I smells it.

And she was right!

Just thinking about that moment makes me proud all over again.
Ahhh! Gives me chills! What a sensitive, well-trained girl. Sounds like you take wonderful care of each other.

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've been slacking at recognizing Peggy's (many) breakthrough moments, so I figured I should share today's:

The weather is beautiful so we've been in and out the back sliding door quite a few times today. I found myself getting annoyed with Peggy, urging her to hurry up and get through the door so I could close it, not understanding why she was hanging back.

And then it clicked!

She was waiting each time for me to give her permission to pass through the doorway.

This is something I've been casually working on with her since she was small, often asking her to "wait" at the threshold and then releasing her. But she always needed the command.

Until today!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I've been slacking at recognizing Peggy's (many) breakthrough moments, so I figured I should share today's:

The weather is beautiful so we've been in and out the back sliding door quite a few times today. I found myself getting annoyed with Peggy, urging her to hurry up and get through the door so I could close it, not understanding why she was hanging back.

And then it clicked!

She was waiting each time for me to give her permission to pass through the doorway.

This is something I've been casually working on with her since she was small, often asking her to "wait" at the threshold and then releasing her. But she always needed the command.

Until today!
Awesome😎😁 it's so nice to have breakthroughs!

·
Registered
649 Posts
We had a breakthrough moment today. Annie and I have been working on squirrel issues for the past 8 months or so.
She behaves beautifully loose leash, flat collar in evening walks or in stores/parking lots, but I've been needing to take her with a pinch collar during the day.

The last few weeks, I've been really working on flat collar work during the daytime for short 1-3 house walks. Working on walk, walk - pull! turn around go the other direction, when dog isn't pulling and looks at me, "turn!" walk, walk, (and repeat). After 3-4 pulls, we would go immediately inside. I also did a lot of focus work with treats on walks, focus work inside, etc.

Today, I took Annie for an almost 1 km walk - on her flat collar, during the day time, without treats!!

We did, admittedly, have to do a fair bit of turning and walking - probably walked closer to 1.5 km, and we did a fair amount of "stop and sit at my heel and look at me, then you can go forward" stuff, and she did yodel at a squirrel...

But!!!! she calmed down after a turn and walk away and she successfully did a nice focused heel past several distractions, including the pile of rocks she saw a chipmunk in yesterday, and two squirrels, and she ignored a dog on the other side of the street.

Not perfect, and only seeing 2 squirrels definitely helped, but there is hope for us yet!

Good girl, Annie.

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Good girl, Annie! And way to go, you!!

Your consistency and commitment is paying off. And sharing your experience here is going to help some folks who might have considered giving up too soon.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Aww ... thanks PtP!

I should add, if I had taken this seriously when it first started so there were fewer repetitions, or worked a bit harder/more consistently on it, it probably would have been an easier -and far faster!- problem to solve. Breakthroughs seem to happen when the poodle AND the human are ready :) oh well, I am happy, and Annie and I will just keep working on it!

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Now that summer has come I've been taking Galen for off leash walks up at our summer place. (Half a mile down a dirt road in the woods; great place for off leash walks.) I've been working on his attention by feeding him treats when he sticks near or responds immediately to my call. I also run away from him if he gets too far away and becomes fascinated with something other than me. Since he's still young enough to want his pack around, I want to instill a slight niggling fear that I might actually disappear if he doesn't stick close.

I wasn't sure this work was actually doing anything until today at home. After going out in the yard he barreled past my husband and shot up the stairs to see if the cat has left any yummy canned food. I yelled for him to stop and...He did. He turned away from his cat food reward because I called him. I gave him a piece of cheese for being such a good boy.

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
We just had a very funny breakthrough here.

I taught Peggy to hop over my legs if I stretched them out in front of me, but always struggled to get her to hop my arms. It was admittedly an awkward position for me, and she always just thought I was trying to initiate play. I eventually gave up.

Well, today my husband was sitting on the side of the bed, doing some stretches, and he bent over, stretching his arms out, sliding his hands across the floor into a modified "downward dog" yoga position.

And guess who hopped over them? And then again? Lol.

He was a little startled, to put it mildly!

·
Registered
173 Posts
We walked past a group of Boy Scouts, and then a small group of ~12 year old girls with no barking/lunging on our walk tonight. I’ve been training them for months! Of course, they still went crazy over a few people with dogs, but hey, I’ll take any progress at this point! :)

Also, Peggy is so silly! Funny how tricks click, isn’t it?

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
We walked past a group of Boy Scouts, and then a small group of ~12 year old girls with no barking/lunging on our walk tonight. I’ve been training them for months! Of course, they still went crazy over a few people with dogs, but hey, I’ll take any progress at this point! :)

Also, Peggy is so silly! Funny how tricks click, isn’t it?
That's a great breakthrough! It's so easy to let progress get lost in the process. But imagine we didn't mark milestones in human education?

"Yes Jimmy, I know you just graduated from high school, but you still have to get through college. No time to celebrate."

21 - 37 of 37 Posts