Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know what I mean? Those moments when the training just "clicks" or an aloof pup initiates a snuggle. Or when a picky eater gobbles up dinner and then *gasp* asks for more.

Peggy just put herself in her crate for a nap and I'd be doing a happy dance right about now if I weren't so afraid of waking her up!!

What have been some of your favourite breakthrough moments?

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
I know exactly how you feel about the crate. I had that very same moment when Babykins went into her crate to snooze. It’s special.

I have it also about my dog’s dumbbell retrieve for obedience competition both on the flat and over a jump. I never thought my dog who refused to retrieve anything and wanted me to chase her instead would ever learn to retrieve a silly plastic dumbbell. Not only does she have to retrieve but she has to do a number of things like wait until a judge tells me to send her, jump back with it in her mouth, come straight in front and sit and hold it calmly in her mouth till the judge says to take it. To me it still seems like a miracle especially when I still have to give her food treats if she retrieves a toy that she wants thrown again. I know poodles are supposed to be retrievers but somehow mine missed that gene.

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's really impressive, Skylar! It would've been so easy to give up. How encouraging to see your hard work finally click.

I know that mischievous "Chase me!!" look verrrrry well. Not an easy one to overcome.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yay Peggy!

I called all 3 big dogs to the front door & gave the sit command. The Giant sat first, Mr. Hondo sat second, & the Collie brought up the rear. They held their position until released. This is HUGE for Mr. Layne who normally gets wiggly, or silly that close to the older dogs or gets impulsive & requires me to put a hand on him. So to have him sit there, looking at me with bright eyes & no wiggly silliness... huge for him :) I released him out in the yard with the big girls & the romp was on.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
My breakthrough moment was the 1st time Asta performed the "Help Me" command which tells him I am in trouble and alerts my husband and leads him to where I am. We worked on training this for months and months and it finally clicked when I really needed him. This was the start of his training to be my service dog. We add commands slowly and shape his behavior and set the command.

Asta also tells me that he is doing his job by nudging me to take my medication 3x a day. He only nudges when it is time for medication. Uses his potty bells if he just needs to go out, so the nudging is a specific task.

Right now we are working on a "Bottle" command to get him to fetch me a bottle of water.

Know this reply goes past your breakthrough moments inquiry - but each time we get success with a command, it is a breakthrough for us.

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay Peggy!

I called all 3 big dogs to the front door & gave the sit command. The Giant sat first, Mr. Hondo sat second, & the Collie brought up the rear. They held their position until released. This is HUGE for Mr. Layne who normally gets wiggly, or silly that close to the older dogs or gets impulsive & requires me to put a hand on him. So to have him sit there, looking at me with bright eyes & no wiggly silliness... huge for him
I released him out in the yard with the big girls & the romp was on.
That would have me bursting with joy! Would be hard to hold it in and play it cool until the release.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ugh, not Mr. Hondo... Mr. Layne. I just stand there grinning while I finish my part then when he's outside doing his business, I'm in the house doing the happy dance. LOL Mr. Layne is a funny boy. Today he decided while on the groom table that he did not want his face trimmed. I said, "Hmmm... well okay we'll work on your tushie (which didn't need anything done to it but it's not his favorite thing to have done). So he sat on his rump & offered up his face. I said "OH thank you" & I trimmed his face & smooched his nose telling him what a good boy he is. He was touchy about his leg furnishings today so I cleaned his ears (which he likes less than his tushie being trimmed). I finished his ears but then he was pretty okay with me brushing the legs. Out foxing a Standard Poodle seems to be key ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,476 Posts
My breakthrough moment was the 1st time Asta performed the "Help Me" command which tells him I am in trouble and alerts my husband and leads him to where I am. We worked on training this for months and months and it finally clicked when I really needed him. This was the start of his training to be my service dog. We add commands slowly and shape his behavior and set the command...
I'm deeply touched reading this; Asta is a true hero. You and the few other members on PF have always been my heroes too for sharing what you go thru and how your service dogs protect you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yay Peggy!!
I never sent Norman to his crate for nap-time. When he naps, he goes and lays on the air vents, his favorite napping spots! I never told him "no" when napping on the air vents (which doesn't bother me) because 1, I was too scared to wake him up! And 2, I would take a nap myself while I had the chance!

My favorite break-through was huge for me because he's my true first dog that is fully my responsibility! Norman was almost 3 months old and he learned "sit" in literally 2 minutes. I was shocked at how intelligent he was! The next day (I swear it!) he learned "Shake" and "other paw" (to give me other paw to shake). I was BLOWN AWAY!! To this day he LOVES switching paws for treats.

I think Norman's favorite break-through moments was when he got tall enough to jump up on my bed without help! LOL! Or when he could put his paws on the counter and steal his first sandwich!!

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And another one today!

I always tether puppy Peggy to the pantry door while I work in the kitchen, and she lays down out of the way by the fridge. But today she was dragging her leash after a walk and I just wandered into the kitchen and started loading the dishwasher.

Turned around because it was worryingly quiet and yay! Poodle in her place! Untethered!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She jumped up to see what all the fuss was about, because I clearly couldn't contain my excitement. And then plopped right back down again like, "Okay, you need to chill out. Of course I know where my spot is."

Attachments

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Such awesomeness from all of you. Asta's mom...that's fantastic. What an angle she is.:angel:

And Little Peggy Sue, how smart of you,
Keep up the good work,
to do what you do! :angel:

For a while there, I had trouble with Matisse when I held him on my lap to Dremel his nails. He's put his head down too close for comfort near that Dremel and then I couldn't see what I was doing. Little poodles have a short distance between their face and their feet. So it can be dangerous. Being Matisse, he just had to snoop and put his face very close. So I'd try different things. When he wore pony tails when he was showing, I'd hold one where the rubber band went around in my teeth and held his head up by force. lol. It really wasn't very pleasant. Then he didn't have that hair style anymore and I thought...I need to think of something else. So, I taught him "head up." I at first lured him and his nose upward and against my chest and "yes!" / treat. Then came the verbal cue. It sure didn't take him long to get onto that...few reps and then a few more to get it better. Now, I don't have to give him a verbal cue. On his own he just puts his head up, plasters it against my head and is so pleased with himself. So, this way I can Dremel his nails and have a good view and don't risk getting his hair caught or some catastrophe.

Funny...Maurice doesn't do that...just looks straight ahead...isn't interested in what's going on with his nails. He's so chill.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Hehehe. :laugh:

On his own he just puts his head up, plasters it against my head and is so pleased with himself.
Akkkk...too late to edit. That was suppose to say he plasters his head against my chest. He sort of looks up at me and that way I can see beyond him to see what I'm doing.

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hehehe.

On his own he just puts his head up, plasters it against my head and is so pleased with himself.
Akkkk...too late to edit. That was suppose to say he plasters his head against my chest. He sort of looks up at me and that way I can see beyond him to see what I'm doing.
I totally read it (and pictured it) as chest!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Good girl Peggy!

The most memorable breakthrough of Zeke’s was when he learned to jump up on furniture. Not much of a breakthrough, right?

He couldn’t jump up on anything to save his life. He saw the other dog do it many times a day, but just couldn’t get it. He’d get in front of the couch, jump straight up in the air and then try to get himself on the couch. The result was, that he’d bang his chest against the edge of the cushions and fall back down. (I laughed at him so hard! ). Finally, at 11 1/2 months old, he jumped on my chair like he’d been doing it his whole life. It just finally clicked for him how to do it. He was so silly and jumping on and off everything all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts