Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently learned our beloved groomer—who’s been off on medical leave for much of the past year—is likely not ever going to be able to do Peggy again. So the home grooming shall continue indefinitely! At least until I can find another unicorn.

I really struggle to get between Peggy’s toes and around her lips. The space directly under her nose is also tricky. I know the BravMini could really help with this. But! She’s got very sensitive skin. That’s the only thing holding me back.

Anyone use this particular trimmer on a sensitive poo? I would avoid the tops of her paws, which tend to be the most prone to clipper burn and irritation.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You may be able to use it fine as long as it isn't a reverse trim. Using it with a forward motion will yield a longer clip length. More like a 15. It is so so useful for doing the lips! I rub vitamin E oil into the skin if I clip too close and it helps a lot with itching. But I can't comment on sensitive skin.

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may be able to use it fine as long as it isn't a reverse trim. Using it with a forward motion will yield a longer clip length. More like a 15. It is so so useful for doing the lips! I rub vitamin E oil into the skin if I clip too close and it helps a lot with itching. But I can't comment on sensitive skin.
I suspect it’s sensitive only based on how she reacted to the new groomer we tried in the fall. That groomer did a much shorter-than-usual FFT, and the rawness and itchy misery was intense, especially on her paws. I think her pink skin is much more easily irritated than the black.

When shaving the pads, is there a way to avoid going in reverse? The hair seems to grow every which way.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I suspect it’s sensitive only based on how she reacted to the new groomer we tried in the fall. That groomer did a much shorter-than-usual FFT, and the rawness and itchy misery was intense, especially on her paws. I think her pink skin is much more easily irritated than the black.

When shaving the pads, is there a way to avoid going in reverse? The hair seems to grow every which way.
I think I've seen a lot of groomers just do a flat cut across the pads without digging between them much. That would probably avoid clipping close. But the pad area may not be sensitive since that's what the dog is walking on. I've never had sensitivity issues with the feet. I do if I clip the face super close though.

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I've seen a lot of groomers just do a flat cut across the pads without digging between them much. That would probably avoid clipping close. But the pad area may not be sensitive since that's what the dog is walking on. I've never had sensitivity issues with the feet. I do if I clip the face super close though.
Ah! Okay. I’ve been trying to dig in there and scoop the hair out. Looks so easy in YouTube videos! I’m going to order the BravMini. I think it’ll give me much better control in tight areas, plus I don’t always have to use it right against her skin.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Fwiw, through trial and error, Ive found the #15 blade on a 5-in-1 to be our goldilocks length, the middle length. I could stick the webbing of my finger up to the blade without nicking it. No red marks on Basil. No catching on any flaps of skin. Itchiness was at a minimum.

The #40 and #30 were too risky.

I'm 100% sure that every grooming video I watched where they said to "be careful here" that I made an oopsie on Basil. The flap by her thigh got caught, I raked her cheek with the blades, and shaved too close on the back of her tail just north of her butthole (oops)

With a #15 length I dont have to think about it. So, it's a peace of mind.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
617 Posts
I was able to do Elroy's feet with the Bravura 5 in 1. In between the toes as well. I have some areas of exposed hardwood, and plain linoleum that are slippery on his feet; I think trimming the hair between the toes exposes the pads to give him a better grip, so in between the toes is a target area for me. Yesterday was my first try with the clippers, and I basically just got him used to it. Touching him all over (just so he could hear it and feel the vibrations) with the clipper while it was on. I think he's ticklish on his feet! Trimmed a very little bit, but he was fighting me for the most part. Today, with the help of treats (regular Kibble), I completed both front feet and toes, and the left rear foot and toes. He had enough after doing 3 feet, so we'll have to finish the other one tomorrow.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sandy is very sensitive to being clipped and cannot tolerate the mini. It makes her extremely itchy and her skin turns red. I use it to clean up around the bottom of feet.

Nova I can clip with the mini with no problems but she isn’t sensitive. I’ve used a 40 with no problems on her. I mainly use the mini on her.

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
You have to work up to the close trims on the feet, I can do a 40 blade on the girls but a 30 blade is what I can to on Lenny, my mini Aesculap Exacta is a 30. And up until Leonard I used a full sized clipper on all my toys only using a 10 blade until the last 4 years, then I worked my way through a 15 blade, then a 30 blade.
Instead of trying to get in between the toes with the clipper I always pulled the hair up from between the toes and trimmed that, so you are less likely to cut or burn toes.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I really hope you post a review on the Bravmini if you get them! Those or the Wahl Peanut have been on my "I really want that but OMG FWOP you do not need to spend any more money on grooming supplies" list for a long time. That and a Dremel :D

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really hope you post a review on the Bravmini if you get them! Those or the Wahl Peanut have been on my "I really want that but OMG FWOP you do not need to spend any more money on grooming supplies" list for a long time. That and a Dremel :D
I will for sure! Whenever another 6 weeks passes without a professional groom, I mentally add another hundred dollars to my tools-I-want-but-don’t-entirely-need fund.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Ah! Okay. I’ve been trying to dig in there and scoop the hair out.
Be careful poodles have webbed feet and those flaps of skin under the paw are easy to cut. I made Merlin bleed when I started grooming him, six years ago. After that I never tried to go deep inside the paw. Standards will be easier than toys for sure though.

Merlin has sensitive skin, like most apricots, and I use a 40 blade on the 5-and-1 Bravura or Arco on the face and feet. It’s probably the equivalent of a 30 on a regular clipper.

For the lips, don’t forget to stretch them towards the ears before clipping. And for the part under the nose, make sure to keep the mouth closed with one hand so Peggy doesn‘t lick the blade while it’s running (yes, it’s happened to me with Merlin too. Poor guy).

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think I've been doing the same as Basil's Dad - the middle setting on our Bravura 5-in-1. But the "scooping" between the toes is easier said than done, so I'm curious about how you find the mini for that if you do try it. Getting the hair around the toenails is another challenge. I was able to do her feet without irritating her but there are a few shaggy areas still. I figure since I'm not clipping as short as the groomer, I'll have the "opportunity" to redo if I want to keep them clean, and I can keep touching up the tricky areas as I practice.

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I've been doing the same as Basil's Dad - the middle setting on our Bravura 5-in-1. But the "scooping" between the toes is easier said than done, so I'm curious about how you find the mini for that if you do try it. Getting the hair around the toenails is another challenge. I was able to do her feet without irritating her but there are a few shaggy areas still. I figure since I'm not clipping as short as the groomer, I'll have the "opportunity" to redo if I want to keep them clean, and I can keep touching up the tricky areas as I practice.
I’ve not been shaving the tops of Peggy’s feet because I can never get them clean enough. The toenails are the worst! But I had some success yesterday tidying her paws up with scissors. It was actually kinda fun (carefully) cutting around them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I’ve not been shaving the tops of Peggy’s feet because I can never get them clean enough. The toenails are the worst! But I had some success yesterday tidying her paws up with scissors. It was actually kinda fun (carefully) cutting around them.
Are you doing the bottoms, and if so, how? I've have mixed success with my tickley-toed girl. Sometimes I can get in there and sometimes I can't but I feel like the underneath shag is the most important since that's the worst for collecting dirt, burrs, etc (ie, the main reason I do the feet at all)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Regarding scooping: here is a photo of the teeth width of bravura vs bravmini. This illustrates why the bravmini is GREAT for feet. It is much harder to cut the skin when scooping out the pads because the teeth are closer. You can still nick but they will be teeny nicks. I find that I just memorize the angles needed to scoop without hitting any webbing. It is not good to blindly scoop too deep.

20210504_124456.jpg

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Another note: I'm hesitant to admit it because I've never seen anybody else do this, but due to the narrow teeth spacing I actually use the bravmini to skim the edges of ear leather when I shave the ears. I have never cut the leather doing this. Looks really nice, better than I can scissor. Just have to take care with that bit of the ear that is a little pocket along the edge since the leather is super thin there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I found the bravmini really useful for doing the feet and could get them much cleaner than using my andis 5 in 1. Starla was black, so not sensitive skinned (at all!) but I still found it best to go with the skin, otherwise it was a bit patchy. @Oonapup, I once saw a YouTube video mention flipping the clippers over and going towards the nailbed to get the hairs around the toenails and it really does work. Gets those pesky toenail hairs quickly and easily.

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you doing the bottoms, and if so, how? I've have mixed success with my tickley-toed girl. Sometimes I can get in there and sometimes I can't but I feel like the underneath shag is the most important since that's the worst for collecting dirt, burrs, etc (ie, the main reason I do the feet at all)
I’m doing the pads, but not well! I have the most success holding her feet the way I would hold a horse’s. Have you ever picked a horse’s hooves? If not, it’s worth a google! That position seems to help Peggy maintain her balance, so she’s less likely to fight me.

But I’m hoping the BravMini will make it even easier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts