Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so proud of my little guy today!
Background: I live on a farm, out in the country. We do have kid visitors to the house at least weekly (as well as our own kids), but otherwise only a few farm workers and zero foot traffic on our road. Raffi (14 weeks old) is a vocal guy and lets his voice be heard often. He is somewhat reserved, and I had noted a few times where he would see someone from a short distance and bark and back up. He seemed unsure although if I approached the person he would follow me and sniff at their feet, but he generally was not interested in interacting. Which is fine, but I don't want him barking at people and really don't want him to be nervous.
I have been taking him with me to my kids karate class, which has been a good first step since he just sits beside me on a bench and observes. He's quiet and calm there.
Anyway, today I decided to drive into the city with him on a quick errand with the plan of walking a bit up and down the plaza to expose him to some more traffic and people on the move. Noticed while walking past that the Canadian Tire store had a big 'pet Friendly's sticker on the door, so in we went.
Raffi navigated automatic sliding doors without a glance, walked past carts and a wheelchair (3x), sat and looked at me when I paused, and even laid down in the aisle when I stopped to look at dog toys. I was so impressed with how calm he was the whole time, and he walked nicely on a loose leash too! He is not excited to see other people, just glances at them, no tail wagging or approaching them. Not 'fun cute puppy' for passersby, but man what a easy dog to take along!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Definitely worth bragging about. It’s wonderful to have a dog you can take anywhere and know they will behave appropriately. Do take Raffi to as many places as you can while he’s a puppy so he continues to be great in store like Canadian Tire.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts