Poodle Forum banner

Braces for Arthritis?

469 9
My 72 lb boy Winston is gonna be 13 in March. He is having mobility issues in his back legs from arthritis. He is on meds but I’m wondering if anyone has had success with leg/ankle braces or supports for their standard? He wears Dr. Buzby’s toe grips, and they help him navigate smooth surfaces, but I can’t help but wonder what else I can do to help him move more comfortably. Any suggestions?
Dog Water dog Working animal Carnivore Liver
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
5,103 Posts
Winston the Rock Star! Welcome to the forum. Sorry about his arthritis. I can't help you on this, but wanted to welcome you both to PF. Hopefully someone here can provide some useful suggestions.

· Registered
232 Posts
I can't speak to braces, but I had positive results with acupuncture for my last geriatric, arthritic dog. He was noticeably less burdened by pain after a session. Human research indicates it's most effective with rheumatoid arthritis vs osteoarthritis. Tangentially, I have read that physical therapy has helped a number of dogs with luxating patella to the point of eliminating the need for surgery (lower grade LP). Water exercise is also used in human patients w/arthritis. I know cost/access is a factor, but I wonder sometimes if there are options for our pets we haven't yet considered.

Your old man is handsome!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't speak to braces, but I had positive results with acupuncture for my last geriatric, arthritic dog. He was noticeably less burdened by pain after a session. Human research indicates it's most effective with rheumatoid arthritis vs osteoarthritis. Tangentially, I have read that physical therapy has helped a number of dogs with luxating patella to the point of eliminating the need for surgery (lower grade LP). Water exercise is also used in human patients w/arthritis. I know cost/access is a factor, but I wonder sometimes if there are options for our pets we haven't yet considered.

Your old man is handsome!
Thanks 😊 my vet has mentioned acupuncture, I need to research where I can take him in my area. I’m interested in trying anything that helps him.

· Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
5,103 Posts
We have a holistic vet nearby. They do acupuncture. Unfortunately I'm not nearby you. Here's a link for you to review to reference the types of services they offer.

· Premium Member
4,825 Posts
My 12 year old spoo, Mia, has arthritis and is taking gabapentin (200 mgs bid) and carprofen (50 mgs bid). I also take her to a veterinary chiropractor every three months or as needed. Our chiropractor is amazing - I have seen dogs hobbling into their appointments come out jumping. Most visits take under 10 minutes, depending on how much we talk and how cooperative Mia is. During this time, the chiro has her hands all over Mia, from tail to atlas, from fingers and toes to shoulders and hips. Mia squirms but gives lots of thank you licks afterward. I found the chiropractor via recommendations from many sport dog owners in our area. When it comes to quality veterinary care, sport dog owners are often educated and knowledgeable consumers, stopping at nothing to keep their dogs in competition shape when young and giving them the highest quality of life in retirement. My recommendation is to reach out to your local Kennel Club or other training facility and talk to sports dog owners in your area about giving Winston the best care you can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts