Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone! as you may or may not know i am adding a little boy to my fur family.

I hope this doesnt come off too silly, but in the last 18 years I have only had female dogs and currently have 2 female dogs, so I am a little nervous with a boy.
(i had boy dogs when i was a small child so i don't remember much)

I originally wanted another girl but met this little sweet guy and fell in love.

Now i guess I am just nervous because I dont know what to expect by having a boy? as silly as that sounds?

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
I just got my first boy last December after having six females, other than weirdness about housebreaking ( I use pee pads), marking (neutering and train helped with that) and grooming ( I groom them myself, man-scaping was new to me) Leonard has been easier to train than the girls.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I have had mostly girls too--besides foster dogs, Frosty is my first male in many years. I was advised by forum friends to have baby wipes on hand for when he accidentally makes a pee mess. Yes, he needs a wipe down now and then! And I agree with Twyla that manscaping--I shave the whole penis and belly area--will help keep your boy more clean. You will love having a boy. They are SO devoted :love:

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
My dream poodle for over 20 years was a black standard girl, aka Lily, now ten years old and the light of my life. We also got a male GSD at about the same time and BF's previous GSD was also a male. They've grown on me, hence Javelin. He is very devoted and biddable, although yes sometimes a sloppy man with his pee stream. Baby wipes are a must on the list for people with boys.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree! After having females for years, rescues, and a mini poo, I got on the wait list for a litter and there were only two born, both boys. The hardest thing was naming him! Other than that, this little guy is so bonded, smart, funny, confident and beautiful that I wouldn't want it any other way. Oh, and yes, the man scaping is no big deal, I think he rather enjoys that part of grooming! lol

·
Registered
596 Posts
Only ever have boy dogs. They stay child-like for most of their lives. Most of mine have been completely without any agenda in terms of rank - very chill with all dogs they meet (the mini poodle even more so). All my dogs have been intact their whole lives (for longevity reasons)- none of them has ever reproduced, pined for a female, roamed or started a fight with another dog. None of them have ever marked in the house. I really see no disadvantage to owning boys. They have all been willing to work for me and have been mama boys - mostly. Although the macho mini poodle LOVES men - even more so than women. His favorite trip is to Lowes where he flirts with all the guys who can't believe they are smitten with a white poodle.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I've had both male and females. I heard so many stories of marking that for awhile I went to females. Now I'm back to males. I actually find them easier to housebreak and non of mine mark. So far. Renn is 11 months and not yet neutered. I never allow them to sniff a lot when walking in areas of other dogs some yes but first they do their walk and will pee and when thats done its ok. None lift their legs, not yet anyway. So far very clean, no pee on them but I also keep the penis shaved so there isn't extra fur to get wet. I find them more loving and not as independent as females. I don't know how using pee pads would work on a older dog if one lifted his leg, but most times lots are done with pads by that time.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
I have had both males and females. My boy Asta bonded with me immediately and is probably the most affectionate of all my dogs. No worries about marking or dribbling. Still, I keep baby wipes in stock so I do a quick cleanup if needed. I neutered Asta at 18 months. He calmed after the operation. He is my cuddle dog and also senses my moods and needs - true emotional support dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts