Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know I haven't exactly introduced myself or made myself known here, but I've been stalking the site for at least a month now lol. I know I'll be getting a toy poodle in a few months, but I'm not sure whether I should get a male or female puppy. I was so set on a tiny black male, but now I've fallen in love with the silvers and apricots. But my question is I'm not sure if I want a male or female. Any suggestions/ideas/information that may help my decision? There is already an 11 month old male pomeranian living here, a 12 year old female cat that you can never find, and an 8 year old girl (my boyfriend's sister) if any of this helps any.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Is the Pom a male or female? There's a general rule that opposites get along better, but it's not always the case. I personally don't think it really matters and that you should go with the pup that pulls on your heart strings. Having said that, I have two males and would prefer a female for dog number 3, but I'm flexable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mentioned that the pom is a male, and he grew up around other males and females until 8 months old, mostly his siblings though. I just don't want to cause any problems by bringing in "the wrong gender", if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Is the Pom neutered?

I would say you should be fine in getting what ever the gender is of the puppy you fall in love with. Poodles are not a breed that seams to be gender dominant and can coincide with others quite well.

I have all female dogs save for one and they all get along brilliantly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, he's not neutered yet. I'm hoping he will be before I bring home my puppy. That was another thing I was worrying about. I wasn't sure if that would play a role in it. I most likely will go with whatever i fall in love with, I just like having some sort of idea of what would work out without problems.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
If you're even entertaining the idea of getting a female, you need to get your little guy neutered ASAP! Males stay fertile for months after being neutered (I've heard everything from 2-10) and judging by all the oops litters that occur with very young females, it's not that easy to recognize a dog's first heat. Plus bringing home any new dog can bring out an urge to mark in an intact male.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts