Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Harry on a long walk today and let him off the leash to run free on his own in an open field too. I need to get in better shape because I'm exhausted.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think we all feel that way sonetimes. Winter is a tireing time of year just by itself and then add stress and dreaded exercise to that and we all need a nap. Im sure Harry appreciated it though.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
No kidding! I lost 10 lbs without even trying since we got Flip in September!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really haven't had him out enough. It's been such a rainy year and often times we are running so many errands on my husband's days off that I don't have time. We've made a commitment to him to get more exercise to help with the little issues we've had lately.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That's great that you have set a goal. I'm sure that you will build yourself up and feel better in time. It is really difficult when there is a lot of rain/darkness. It really does effect the emotions. I know that long periods without sun cause me to feel tired and down. But, as MM said, I'll bet Harry really enjoyed it!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sounds like Harry had himself a GREAT time...lol. I know how it is in bad weather, though. You don't get out as much and don't have the stamina you have when the weather is good and you get out a lot. I know I am looking forward to spring when I can go out hiking in the woods with the dogs and get myself out of the "winter lack of shape" feeling! :)

Hope you and Harry have lots of fun walks..... sounds like Harry is also being a good boy if he was "off leash" for it all. :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a HUGE open field, it's at least half a mile long, maybe more. He is very good out there and I trust him not to make a run for it so I let him have freedom as I walk the stretch and he follows me. He will make a wide circle to come and check on me and when I call him to me he will come. I was done and called him and he came and I put his leash on him. Then we went and walked about a mile so it was a good day for exercise.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good for you getting out. It isn't just the cold weather. I am in "paradise" and my body still hibernates. The sun/warmth gets tiring too and I find myself wishing I was in the snow:)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Great!! I wish the weather was nice enough for a walk here. A couple weekends we got out. Today Ry and i went out in the yard to play for a little bit, but i got cold. Thats great he can run off leash.
I know its wierd, but i actually prefer cloudy/rainy days to sunny days (although after a stretch i do enjoy sunshine, but i get depressed with too many sun days in a row). I could easily live in Seattle and be perfectly happy!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't mind those days either. It gets HOT here in the summer and then it's too hard to go outside because of the heat and humidity. The winters and springs here are the best weather for getting out, fall is again too hot. I just don't like the rainy days because of the mud and the clean up after the dogs have been outside. The field was dry enough not to stick to our feet so I wasn't worried about that tonight but there are times when it's wet and you'd sink in there.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Great!! I wish the weather was nice enough for a walk here. A couple weekends we got out. Today Ry and i went out in the yard to play for a little bit, but i got cold. Thats great he can run off leash.
I know its wierd, but i actually prefer cloudy/rainy days to sunny days (although after a stretch i do enjoy sunshine, but i get depressed with too many sun days in a row). I could easily live in Seattle and be perfectly happy!
Ha ha , oh my - it is interesting !!!! I would end up in a looney-house if I ever move to a rainy climate LOL - I swear ! I can stand cold as long as it is sunny !!! I hate when it is over 100 F , but would choose that over rain any day LOL

Hawaii has my ideal climate (at least the Big Island) - I hope I will be born there in my next life - even if I "come out" to be just a palm tree : )))) - I would be a happy Palm tree indeed :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am so very fortunate in having a 110 acre dog park opened up by the government just a couple of miles from my home. It's a mixture of pine forests, sand pits and open fields. Wonderful for dogs to romp off leash . Probably takes an hour to walk around the outside trails. I'm so spoiled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts